Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

So my size 34 BSPs have a really awkward top block fit. I feel like there's too much fabric, sort of looks like a diaper...I dont really know how to explain it. Anyone else have that problem? Should I size down or try a diff cut? Anyone know how the 1001 compares? Or alternative fast fading, similar denim, slim cut?
    I can relate. I have no ass, really, so I noticed it too on my BSP. I do like some other models better for the top-block fit. However, now that these BSP are breaking in, it's less prominent, and actually, the logic of the cut is making sense - these jeans want to be worn low and sagged. But you won't get those lap-fades like on Skulls or other narrow-hip cuts. I originally got 32s (to shrink to my 31 size) but sold and sized down one more. The waist is perfect now (even loose) and the downsizing solved many of those top block problems. Suggest selling and try down one more (maybe?). No experience with the 1001 but I have a feeling it's the same cut/fit philosophy, just different weight denim. At least based on the size charts. Also suggest Momotaro 0701, Skulls, Warehouse 660s

2. Dethevn

Dethevn Active Member

Right on! Such an awesome brand to sink your teeth into. Good call. I hope you love 'em.

Fit pix plz.

Yeah, then 30 or 29. Ideally 29. Rule is size down two to get to your real waist size (APC measure 2" bigger than tagged) and then go down one more to account for stretch (for a slim, comfy fit).

Thanks!

3. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gavin sorta sucks for you that you didn't get what you wanted. I think if you dye the star like previously mentioned, that'll work out best.

I caved in last second and bought a pair of 1966s in 29 like I said I wasn't going to do. I mean come on, less than $70 for a pair of Sugar Canes is impossible to resist. I called up Revolve to make sure (plus I had to anyways because apparently living in Korea always means CREDIT CARD FRAUD). I got upgraded shipping like always though, so they just got to me yesterday. Not sure yet how the fit is going to be. Unsoaked they were a little big, but since they're supposed to shrink 8% or so, going to have to spend some time with a painful waist I suppose. Love the denim though.

4. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

Yeah, I ended up keeping them...like you said, for the price, how could I not? The fit was a littl off at first, but post-soak they fit great...I just need the top block to soften up a bit so it's not, a) digging into my stomach as much; and, b) the back pockets aren't as rigid, causing the hips to flare a bit. Really, more than anything, I think I just need to get used to the higher rise. As for the star...in person, it's not nearly as bad as I expected...so I'll just leave it as is, I guess.

5. Delimit

Delimit Active Member

Yeah, the guys were awesome. Knowledgeable and friendly. I totally felt good with what I bought walking out of there.
    Maybe in a few weeks. The waistband needs to break down a bit; right now they're seriously tight. Apparently there'll be some give. Then I need to soak 'em to very slightly tighten up a few areas.
    Sucks, doesn't it?

6. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

My $69 Sugar Canes came a couple days ago: [​IMG] Here's the post-soak fit: [​IMG] Though I don't want to lose the chainstitch, I think I'm going to hem them at where the double cuffs are now. Should still give me room to single cuff if I want to I think. Don't care if I can't though. Actually not sure if I'll bother, I'm pretty indecisive [​IMG]

7. theom-

theom- Senior member

8. brosnan6

brosnan6 Well-Known Member

Due to a hole in my crotch on my APC NS, I'm looking to pick up another pair of nice denim. I'm thinking about trying out Nudies this time but am unsure about the stretch situation. The APCs stretched a good ~3-3.5 inches (bought a tagged 34). Another SF'er has a brand new pair of Nudie Average Joes for sale on the B&S forum that are also tagged as a 34.

Will these stretch as much as the APCs did or should I buy a size up? My only concern with buying a size up is that it looks like the next size is 2 inches larger (36) and I worry that those will stretch too much

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Yeah, the guys were awesome. Knowledgeable and friendly. I totally felt good with what I bought walking out of there.Maybe in a few weeks. The waistband needs to break down a bit; right now they're seriously tight. Apparently there'll be some give. Then I need to soak 'em to very slightly tighten up a few areas.
    Sucks, doesn't it?

If you haven't soaked yet, you're wasting your time getting them to stretch out before soak. All break-in should really be done after soaking.

Yes, bum-less is a bummer, the one time in a thousand where it's worse to have no ass than a big one. I prefer it this way ;-p

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Here's the post-soak fit: [​IMG] Though I don't want to lose the chainstitch, I think I'm going to hem them at where the double cuffs are now. Should still give me room to single cuff if I want to I think. Don't care if I can't though. Actually not sure if I'll bother, I'm pretty indecisive [​IMG]
    Those look like they'll be a nice repro compliment to your 5507. I think you have the style and body type that takes to repro cuts nicely. Plus, I always love having two different cuts in rotation. Other than the back rise, those look a lot like your 5507s. I just can't do an 11" rise, or I'd jump on those too. PS - ironically, those look really fantastic with the suede bucks too.

11. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Those look great, keep the double cuff! I'd make them just a little smaller but I like them.

12. Delimit

Delimit Active Member

Really? The waist is already relaxing a bit.

I know it'll shrink back up, but the gymnastics I am going through to get them on (and I am practically sleeping in 'em) are sort of ridiculous. I was told they should stretch up to a size in the waist after a few weeks, so my plan was to get that done, then soak. Or will they shrink back up to the original + slight shrink size?

I bought a 1 wash pair so I don't anticipate much change anyway. Just a little tightening in the place where my ass should be and the thighs.

13. borderline

borderline Senior member

14. Realest

Realest Member

I got 3 pair of 514 jeans Ive had them for about 6 months now and the crotch area on the jeans is too tight how can I stretch it out without damaging the stitching? This is very uncomfortable.........[​IMG]

please help thanks

15. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

I am frustrated by my current jeans search.

What I'd like is something cut basically like the Ande Whall Slacker (I think; I'm going based on the Grifters being good except for the rise being too low and the top block in general being a little too mean for me), except actually currently available in black.

The important thing here is to have a narrow leg and sub-8" leg opening at a 34"-35" waist.

Lots of things claim to be "slim tapered" and then have a 8"-8.5" leg opening.