Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Acerola

Acerola Member

Skull 5010 or 5507, Momotaro 0701 or Warehouse Dubbleworks 660. Also look at low-rise slim fits like Pure Blue Japan 005s, or Somet.

I have the same kind of issue. All above have narrow, snug hips and top blocks, seat, and low-ish rise.

Thanks man! I think I'll check the Skulls out

Any other suggestions people? They don't nessicarily have to be raw.

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I hot soaked my somets. The water turned a dark shit brown/green.
    I hope they don't shrink too much!

They wont too much, and any waist shrink will stretch back out in a week or two, if not sooner. That's why you wanna soak though. They'll be better for it.

3. Woolsox

Woolsox New Member

hey there i just bought a pair of Cheap Monday Tight Original Unwash

they are 98.5% cotton and 1.5% elastane

my question is:

i'm a guy, i got them in a 31x32, i would say that generally i am a 29-30 but i have fat thighs, i tried on the 30's and they fit great around the waist but were extremely tight in the ass and thighs, giving me a bit of a "mom butt", so i ultimately decided to get the 31's. now after about a day and a half of wear the 31's fit close to perfect in the thighs and could loosen a bit in the ass but my main issue (the same issue i have with all jeans it seems) is that everytime i bend over to do something the jeans are halfway down my ass.. i was really hoping to come away with a pair of jeans that didnt require a belt and esp. cuz the cheap monday backpatch is kinda neat and would be covered with a belt. so finally the question is: should i take the 31 back and get the 30? how much can i expect the thighs and ass to stretch? like i said thighs are close to perfect now and ass could still bag out a bit. and right now i can put my hand in the waistband. or option 2 is keep these ones and get a tailor to sew in a piece of corduroy or something to keep them on my waist as it seems the main issue is that the waistband is obviously made with the same stretch blend

anyways sorry for long rambling post please inform [​IMG]

4. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

maybe the tights aren't the right cut for you in that case. if the waist is too big at first, it will never fit right because denim stretches.

5. Woolsox

Woolsox New Member

maybe the tights aren't the right cut for you in that case. if the waist is too big at first, it will never fit right because denim stretches.

yea it seems to happen with all jeans i buy though, even if they start off tight in the waist, i do alot of lifting at my job which i'm sure doesnt help. but i was just hoping to find a pair of skinny jeans that would stay at my waist without spending $200 (nudies)

maybe i'll start rocking suspenders.

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

yea it seems to happen with all jeans i buy though, even if they start off tight in the waist, i do alot of lifting at my job which i'm sure doesnt help. but i was just hoping to find a pair of skinny jeans that would stay at my waist without spending $200 (nudies)

maybe i'll start rocking suspenders.

You need to explore some of the Japanese brands, slim cuts from brands like Flat Head, Samurai or Pure Blue Japan. Slim cuts with a top block designed for those who don't have stick-hips. You probably won't have that problem with them...

7. sixsails

sixsails Senior member

wish that thread was stickied. i read this forum at least once a day and hadn't seen it. thanks for that.

yea, i've read all the gripes about APC [pockets etc] which is why i was open to other suggestions. i just know that's the fit i want... or there abouts.

What's the problem with APC here? For what they cost, I'm very happy with my APC NS.

8. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

What's the problem with APC here? For what they cost, I'm very happy with my APC NS.

+1. AND you can get them cheaper from b/s.

9. steezin

steezin Senior member

When i cuff my jeans, the selvedge line is not in the middle, it twists round and lies nearer the front, though this is only on my right side.

Is this due to uneven stacking or stretch?

I know im being fussy but it looks sloppy when the selvedge line is half hidden by the tongue of my shoe...

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

+1. AND you can get them cheaper from b/s.
    You guys go ahead and keep your APC then. I'm not bashing them, I just detest the fits on me personally, and the denim is a little bland. But at that price point, they're good jeans, and I enjoyed mine.
    When i cuff my jeans, the selvedge line is not in the middle, it twists round and lies nearer the front, though this is only on my right side. ..
    It's called 'leg twist' and occurs when the denim shrinks and the right hand twill weft fibers contract and twist in a clockwise direction. It's a sign of good, untreated denim (this problem is often rectified in mass production mills). Twist is most apparent on your left leg, but also happens on the right, but is less obvious. Enjoy it as part of owning good denim.

11. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

When i cuff my jeans, the selvedge line is not in the middle, it twists round and lies nearer the front, though this is only on my right side. Is this due to uneven stacking or stretch? I know im being fussy but it looks sloppy when the selvedge line is half hidden by the tongue of my shoe...
    Only way you're going to get rid of this is to buy broken-twill denim. It's a condition of the twill

12. bencho

bencho Well-Known Member

It's called 'leg twist' and occurs when the denim shrinks and the right hand twill weft fibers contract and twist in a clockwise direction. It's a sign of good, untreated denim (this problem is often rectified in mass production mills).

Twist is most apparent on your left leg, but also happens on the right, but is less obvious.

Enjoy it as part of owning good denim.

WOW I never really noticed but yes, my left selvedge does twist. Why is it predominant on the left leg?

13. PattyC

PattyC Senior member

The "crotch" area of my APCS is quite faded and starting to feel pretty flimsy. I have a patch of raw denim from Nudie, how do I go about reinforcing the jeans? Do I just stick it in on the inside and sew it against the weakening area?

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

WOW I never really noticed but yes, my left selvedge does twist. Why is it predominant on the left leg?
    Dunno. The amount of leg twist would be the same. So it must be more noticeable due to leg orientation to the front of the pants, and how we move in them
    The "crotch" area of my APCS is quite faded and starting to feel pretty flimsy. I have a patch of raw denim from Nudie, how do I go about reinforcing the jeans? Do I just stick it in on the inside and sew it against the weakening area?
    yep, pretty much. Make sure that patch is shrunk first (washer/dryer)!! There are various ways to handle stitching that patch on. Best way is to orient the warp and weft fibers properly and then sew on with a crosshatching stitch (back-and-forth, up-and-down, side-to-side, etc - you get the point). But, see this thread too: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=7759

15. bencho

bencho Well-Known Member

Uhhh.... I just got back from work.... and checked the Somets.... They are STIFF like cardboard!? Also, the brown stained the white leather patch and the entire inside.. everything is brn in there [​IMG]