I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Ok so SE says to size up on Sugar Canes, looking at the numbers it seems TTS is best, but I hear a lot of people saying size down. If I'm size 30 in Skulls, would I be most happy with 29, 30, or 31 in Sugar Canes?
    What model, Mister "my skulls will be the last jeans I buy for a long time"...? My vote is 30, which will get you to 30/31 post-soak. Esp if youre going for those 1947s. BiG has good recs on SC shrink as a cross-reference; http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...id=3&Itemid=28 Repro cuts will be looser anyway, and SC are roomier in top block than the 5507...fyi, so fit is less critical...Stretch is the same as any slubby stf loose-weave (abt 1-2"). I wouldn't try sizing down too much to get a slim fit on repros. Embrace it. Edit: if you're considering a repro, I'd also seriously check out the Evisu Lot 1 stf: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 Or try those Warehouse DWorks I mentioned as an in-between (they're closer to the 5507, but not a full-repro cut).

2. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well it's hard to say no to $70 1966s. If I can't fit in 29s though, not going to bother with 1955s since I'm not tall enough to pull off something like that. Just wondering if it's worth tossing some cash for something to rotate every once in a while [​IMG]

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Well it's hard to say no to $70 1966s. If I can't fit in 29s though, not going to bother with 1955s since I'm not tall enough to pull off something like that. Just wondering if it's worth tossing some cash for something to rotate every once in a while [​IMG]

Hell, at that price? Why not? I hear they're pretty good in warmer weather too..

4. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guess it might be worth the risk to size down. I mean if I fit in size 29 5010 skulls with some discomfort then 29 Sugar Canes should be pretty comfortable you'd think. Worst comes to worst I can probably flip them and get my money back I guess.

Fuck it, too much confusion and I probably WOULD be better off with a 30 all things considered. 1955 would look dumb on me I'm guessing so I'll just save my money and store credit.

5. LiveStock

LiveStock Senior member

What do you guys do if the inseam is too long but the taper would be gone if you hemmed it?

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

What do you guys do if the inseam is too long but the taper would be gone if you hemmed it?
    Most (not all) denim and pants are tapered in the leg to a certain point (say ~30") and then the leg remains straight for the rest of the length. I hem all mine to 32" post-soak, and have never had a problem with the leg opening dimension changing on me after hemming. Not enough to be noticeable. This kinda illustrates the point: [​IMG] You can take a tape measure and check the leg opening and then check them at where you'd hem it to if you want to find out...

7. connor

connor Senior member

8. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

I found two small holes in my KMW's that I hadn't noticed before. They aren't at a point of strain, my apartment is free of pests, and like I said I never noticed even the slightest fraying or wear in the area of the holes. I want to have the holes repaired, I just don't know a whole lot about having this done. Is it the sort of thing a local tailor could do? What would something like this cost to do? I have a pair of Academi Straight Selvage I never wear and just figured I could cut a piece of the fabric for the patch.

Basically, any info on denim repair would be immensely appreciated.

robbie

9. connor

connor Senior member

check the Denim Repair Thread on SuFu. stitch around and over the holes, they probably dont need a patch unless theyre of decent size

10. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

just got a pair of Average Joe Nudies - Wet Coated........
    Noob question, as I am quite the Noob

Will these shrink if soaked?.........or does the "wet" imply that they are sanforized?

thanks in advance!

11. LiveStock

LiveStock Senior member

mlyngard i have a pair of chinos that are tapered at the end to 7" but i need like 2-3 inches hemmed

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Can someone tell me a pair of denims that is similar in fit to the 514 but slightly slimmer in the legs?

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Can someone tell me a pair of denims that is similar in fit to the 514 but slightly slimmer in the legs?

If you have the 514, take the dimensions off it like this:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41

Then compare to the sizes provided on BiG and Self Edge.

If not, the Warehouse Dubbleworks 660, Skull 5507, KMW 1980, some of the Flat Head 3000 series cuts, some Samurai cuts, Studio D'Artisan 103 cut, Denime 66xx, Eternal 811BG, Pure Blue Japan 008s, APC New Standards, 3Sixteen slim straights.

You'll want to look for descriptions like 'slim straight', 'slim tapered', and with the rise; 'low-mid rise' and 'mid-rise'.

Email the staff at Blue in Green and Self Edge too with this question.

14. ranker

ranker Senior member

A few questions to the jean mentors out there

1) Why are Dior Homme raw jeans so expensive? Are they that much better made than APC NS?

2) What is a reasonable price I can buy Dior Homme jeans at and where would that be?

3) How much would one size down for Dior's raw jeans? Same as my APC NS or less?

15. theom-

theom- Senior member

1. Brand name, They are not any better or worse than APC's

2. You can find them on the B&S forums here for a better price than anywhere else.

3. I've never owned Diors but I've hear you should go about the same as APC maybe size down 1 more. The stretch a lot.