• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Ok so SE says to size up on Sugar Canes, looking at the numbers it seems TTS is best, but I hear a lot of people saying size down. If I'm size 30 in Skulls, would I be most happy with 29, 30, or 31 in Sugar Canes?
What model, Mister "my skulls will be the last jeans I buy for a long time"...? My vote is 30, which will get you to 30/31 post-soak. Esp if youre going for those 1947s. BiG has good recs on SC shrink as a cross-reference; http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...id=3&Itemid=28 Repro cuts will be looser anyway, and SC are roomier in top block than the 5507...fyi, so fit is less critical...Stretch is the same as any slubby stf loose-weave (abt 1-2"). I wouldn't try sizing down too much to get a slim fit on repros. Embrace it. Edit: if you're considering a repro, I'd also seriously check out the Evisu Lot 1 stf: http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28 Or try those Warehouse DWorks I mentioned as an in-between (they're closer to the 5507, but not a full-repro cut).

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well it's hard to say no to $70 1966s. If I can't fit in 29s though, not going to bother with 1955s since I'm not tall enough to pull off something like that. Just wondering if it's worth tossing some cash for something to rotate every once in a while
smile.gif

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Well it's hard to say no to $70 1966s. If I can't fit in 29s though, not going to bother with 1955s since I'm not tall enough to pull off something like that. Just wondering if it's worth tossing some cash for something to rotate every once in a while
smile.gif

Hell, at that price? Why not? I hear they're pretty good in warmer weather too..

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guess it might be worth the risk to size down. I mean if I fit in size 29 5010 skulls with some discomfort then 29 Sugar Canes should be pretty comfortable you'd think. Worst comes to worst I can probably flip them and get my money back I guess.

*******, too much confusion and I probably WOULD be better off with a 30 all things considered. 1955 would look dumb on me I'm guessing so I'll just save my money and store credit.

LiveStock

Reaction score
What do you guys do if the inseam is too long but the taper would be gone if you hemmed it?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LiveStock
What do you guys do if the inseam is too long but the taper would be gone if you hemmed it?
Most (not all) denim and pants are tapered in the leg to a certain point (say ~30") and then the leg remains straight for the rest of the length. I hem all mine to 32" post-soak, and have never had a problem with the leg opening dimension changing on me after hemming. Not enough to be noticeable. This kinda illustrates the point:
4965450ed3295da7bf06a590ff7d6992.jpg
You can take a tape measure and check the leg opening and then check them at where you'd hem it to if you want to find out...

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I found two small holes in my KMW's that I hadn't noticed before. They aren't at a point of strain, my apartment is free of pests, and like I said I never noticed even the slightest fraying or wear in the area of the holes. I want to have the holes repaired, I just don't know a whole lot about having this done. Is it the sort of thing a local tailor could do? What would something like this cost to do? I have a pair of Academi Straight Selvage I never wear and just figured I could cut a piece of the fabric for the patch.

Basically, any info on denim repair would be immensely appreciated.

robbie

Astronaut888

Reaction score
just got a pair of Average Joe Nudies - Wet Coated........
Noob question, as I am quite the Noob

Will these shrink if soaked?.........or does the "wet" imply that they are sanforized?

thanks in advance!

LiveStock

Reaction score
mlyngard i have a pair of chinos that are tapered at the end to 7" but i need like 2-3 inches hemmed

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me a pair of denims that is similar in fit to the 514 but slightly slimmer in the legs?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Can someone tell me a pair of denims that is similar in fit to the 514 but slightly slimmer in the legs?

If you have the 514, take the dimensions off it like this:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41

Then compare to the sizes provided on BiG and Self Edge.

If not, the Warehouse Dubbleworks 660, Skull 5507, KMW 1980, some of the Flat Head 3000 series cuts, some Samurai cuts, Studio D'Artisan 103 cut, Denime 66xx, Eternal 811BG, Pure Blue Japan 008s, APC New Standards, 3Sixteen slim straights.

You'll want to look for descriptions like 'slim straight', 'slim tapered', and with the rise; 'low-mid rise' and 'mid-rise'.

Email the staff at Blue in Green and Self Edge too with this question.

ranker

Reaction score
A few questions to the jean mentors out there

1) Why are Dior Homme raw jeans so expensive? Are they that much better made than APC NS?

2) What is a reasonable price I can buy Dior Homme jeans at and where would that be?

3) How much would one size down for Dior's raw jeans? Same as my APC NS or less?

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Brand name, They are not any better or worse than APC's

2. You can find them on the B&S forums here for a better price than anywhere else.

3. I've never owned Diors but I've hear you should go about the same as APC maybe size down 1 more. The stretch a lot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads