I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Does ACNE's denim normally fade fast?

I bought a pair of ACNE and, after having worn them for no more than 3 weeks, I already got some clear fades (shown in the pix below). I didn't get fades like these with APCs even after wearing them for more than 1 month.

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

anyone knows dunderson sizing? should i size up/down? also anywhere to buy them other than its website?
    Sizing and fit is somewhat similar to APC NS. size down 1-2. I'm usually a 30-31 and the 29s fit nicely. I have no idea what stretch is like. Look here, http://dunderdon.com/shop.html or call my girl Elisa at Sugarcube: http://sugarcube.us/men/ She stocks them.

3. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

AW and DH are in a whole 'nother ballpark in terms of pricing, there's a lot more options between those choices, why cut them out?

I'm limiting to brands that I can readily try out (or have experience with).

4. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

You could always take a day trip up to SE, they have a bunch of good brands. Or just get comfortable about your measurements and expand through the online stores like BiG (try on a jean for size, check or take measurements, compare with other jeans). Out of your choices, I'd go with the AWs, personally. The 19cm denim is meh unless you get the expensive wax coatings or distressed ones or whatever, most people buy the raws because everyone else gets them or because they particularly like the fit. N&F is an entry-level company by most standards, not the greatest denim but if you like the random mixed fabrics it could be for you. APCs are another entry-level jean but a lot of people swear by them, either for the fit or they just are really devoted to them (a lot of people are, who knows why). The AWs are good jeans, I think they're a little overpriced since now they compete with the big boys of the denim industry, but they are good Kaihara denim, lots of nice detailing (sans the linen patch), etc.

5. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

If anyone here has a pair of Uniqlo Vintage Chinos, can someone point to me a pair of denim that fits very similar to them? Maybe a slightly slimmer leg is ok but I really like the fit of the Uniqlo Vintage Chinos.

6. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

You could always take a day trip up to SE, they have a bunch of good brands. Or just get comfortable about your measurements and expand through the online stores like BiG (try on a jean for size, check or take measurements, compare with other jeans). Out of your choices, I'd go with the AWs, personally. The 19cm denim is meh unless you get the expensive wax coatings or distressed ones or whatever, most people buy the raws because everyone else gets them or because they particularly like the fit. N&F is an entry-level company by most standards, not the greatest denim but if you like the random mixed fabrics it could be for you. APCs are another entry-level jean but a lot of people swear by them, either for the fit or they just are really devoted to them (a lot of people are, who knows why). The AWs are good jeans, I think they're a little overpriced since now they compete with the big boys of the denim industry, but they are good Kaihara denim, lots of nice detailing (sans the linen patch), etc.

I occasionally wish I could just try on a pair of 19cms. I always really like the way that the look on other people, but have no idea how they'd look on me or if I'd like how they felt.

Tangentially: one of the things I don't like about most fit models is that they're tiny people. This is especially true for Self Edge. Which is great for the elven folk that are common on the SFs, but it means I can't really trust the pictures I see. A true straight-leg cut looks a lot different in a 28 than in a 34. It would be cool to see models of different sizes.

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Tangentially: one of the things I don't like about most fit models is that they're tiny people. This is especially true for Self Edge. .
    It's true that none of my fits ever look like the SE model(s), but then again, I like some of my fits better than they look on the model. To reinforce what Kit said, if you want to branch out, there are gonna be situations where you have to take a chance on a pair of jeans with out trying them on. I've seen your fit pics and you wear jeans well. It's possibly an expensive proposition, but one that pays dividends when you find stuff that's more amazing than you imagined. It's really part of the joy and reward of buying denim. Helped by shops like SE and BiG that already have well-edited collections. I was batting about 50% on fits even a year ago, but now that I know what works for me better, I haven't bought a pair I've been unhappy with since (sizing is another subject). It will pay to start cataloging the dimensions that work best for you. Rise(s) and leg opening are pretty key anchor dimensions for the rest of a pair's fit. From there, start taking chances. With great risk comes great reward...

8. theom-

theom- Senior member

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

i'm looking for a pair of jeans. criteria: * straight-leg * clean styling * same kind of dark, intense wash as the pair below * dark blue or dark gray * tone-on-tone stitching * doesn't have back pockets as front pockets like the pair below
    Like Tiger said (good call). Standard straight leg "overdye" jeans, no 'contrast' stitching. Or the new Iron Heart overdyes at Self Edge, the Real Japan Blues on BiG. Acne (http://shop.acnestudios.com/system/s...ze=0&offset=40) There are others I'm too retarded to remember... Do Crate do that now? Email some of the affiliates above, as well as BiG...ask 'em to direct you. Or take a look here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=157881

10. dubcbadass

dubcbadass Senior member

N&F Weird Guy vs. APC Petite Standard vs. Ande Whall Grifter vs. another pair of 19cms..
    Out of your choices, I'd go with the AWs, personally.[...] N&F is an entry-level company by most standards, not the greatest denim but if you like the random mixed fabrics it could be for you. [...] The AWs are good jeans, I think they're a little overpriced since now they compete with the big boys of the denim industry, but they are good Kaihara denim, lots of nice detailing (sans the linen patch), etc.
    My first pair of raw selvedge happened to be N&F Weird Guy. I bought a 30 in the lightweight indigo greycast thinking that I was sizing down to accomodate for stretch. Where I wore my jeans was about 32" when I bought them, now more like 31". A little less than a year later, and maybe three machine-ish washes (my mom's machine is the bees kneeson gentle) they have stretched a fuck ton to like 17.5" and fall off of me without a belt on (I lost some flub in the hips, too). If I had to do over with the Weird Guys, I would get some of the 21 ozs and sized down one more to a 29". These will be my back-up from whenever my new Grifters arrive(just got shipping confirmation from Ande today). I ordered TTS @ 31" in grifters, so hope these are where it's at.
    Basically, +1 for AW.

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

12. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=520 Definitely not Sf approved but I've got a pair of OBEY which satisfy those requirements except color. I love them, I just wish they were better made. At least on the level of my Somets. BiG is a store, Blue in Green.

13. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ok so SE says to size up on Sugar Canes, looking at the numbers it seems TTS is best, but I hear a lot of people saying size down.

If I'm size 30 in Skulls, would I be most happy with 29, 30, or 31 in Sugar Canes?

14. mockingboy

mockingboy Senior member

I am buying a new pair of jeans today at BiG....Are you guys are saying I should soak them in warm water first, then get them hemmed, before wearing them? I am not going to stack them.

I have never soaked the pair I have now OR washed them...is that weird?

I will be going to blue In Green today so any advice would be great?

Thanks,

Mike