I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ROYGEN

ROYGEN Well-Known Member

Hello Guys!

School me on this Levis 501's, this is the J.Crew ones if im not mistaken.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...eans/13639.jsp

Got it as a gift last X-mas but there is no J.Crew tag but it did came wrapped in a J.Crew box.
    Anyways, it does not have the traditional red tab on the back pocket. It sure looks and feel like high-end selvedge but i dont see any reason why it cost $200 more on the J.Crew site unless i'm missing something here.
    Are these really 1947 re-issues and are USA made?

Thanks in advance!

PICS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I've had to buy women's jeans in the past to get a good fit, and while I don't mind that at all, it's difficult to find raw women's jeans. The only store in my city that carries raw denim is Barney's and they have nothing in my size.

Where are you measuring your thighs, brother?

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hi, my shoes are getting killed by indigo! Even the denim I expected to hold indigo well (rrl, momotaro), is there some cleaning product that gets it particularly well and is easy on the leather?
    Momotaros shed indigo more than almost any other jeans I've owned. Crazy!
    instructions on how to properly shrink them...saying that I need to put them in my bathtub and soak them for 30 minutes in the hottest water possible. 1. Is it possible to just wash them with Hot water in my washing machine instead to get the desired shrinking effect? 2. What process/steps do you all suggest? Please be detailed.
    Machine is okay, hot water in tub as Whodini recommended is best for your first soak. 1/2 hour to 45 mins. Warm to hot. Hang them and air dry. That'll do 95% of your shrinkage, and it's gentle. Machine wash only when you want to really clean them. Interim soaks. It's fun in the tub too!
    Anyway, I have a couple pair of selvedge Helmut Lang. The inseam is way too long for me to stack. Is it acceptable to just get the jeans hemmed to desired lenghth? Is there anything I should request the tailor to do in the alteration process since these are selvedge?
    SelfEdge (NY and SF) and Blue in Green both only alter jeans and both do proper hems on chainstiching machines. Send them there. It's only a few bucks more than a local tailor (excluding shipping). Local tailors will only do a lockstitch. Call or email them. 1-2 days for BiG, 4-6 days for SE.

4. toade

toade Senior member

Just bought a pair of RRL Raw Selvage and they are a little loose. Probably about an inch too big in the waste. They have never been washed (dry cleaned twice), how much will these shrink if I soak or wash them?

Thanks!

5. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Hi, I'm wondering what you guys do about this problem (raw denim): my shoes are getting killed by indigo! I'd like to wear them with some dress shoes I have, but having seen the impact on my sneakers, I'm very wary (I've tried to wipe it off, has worked to varying degrees). Even the denim I expected to hold indigo well (rrl, momotaro), as opposed to my nudies, are doing it. Is it going to be more forgiving on leather, is there some cleaning product that gets it particularly well and is easy on the leather? Appreciate it!
    Indigo is actually really shitty dyestuffs (water soluble, rubs off easily, hard to dye completely) which is why we love it so much. To protect light colored shoes, place some tape (whatever type you want, really) around the hem of the jeans on the inside

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Indigo is actually really shitty dyestuffs (water soluble, rubs off easily, hard to dye completely) which is why we love it so much.

OMFG! Another keeper!!

+1

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Hello Guys!

School me on this Levis 501's, this is the J.Crew ones if im not mistaken.

Help us out here. You got it as a gift in a J.Crew box but don't know if it came from J.Crew? Either these "fell off the back of a truck" or...

But it's not the J Crew model linked as your pair appears to be of the STF variety instead of the wash offered by J Crew.

8. ROYGEN

ROYGEN Well-Known Member

I called up J.Crew's C.S. and they are indeed the same pair as i posted in the link... To make sure i also asked the person whom i got it from and they're indeed from the catalog.

What seems to be so special about this pair? Or are they just regular STF that's been marked up 200% from original price... Thanks!

9. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

I called up J.Crew's C.S. and they are indeed the same pair as i posted in the link... To make sure i also asked the person whom i got it from and they're indeed from the catalog. What seems to be so special about this pair? Or are they just regular STF that's been marked up 200% from original price... Thanks!
    They're not the same, the selvedge band is narrower than the one you linked and the hem is chainstitched, unlike the J.Crew one.. Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't LVC ballpark around that much?

10. KitAkira

They're not the same, the selvedge band is narrower than the one you linked and the hem is chainstitched, unlike the J.Crew one.. Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't LVC ballpark around that much?
    I would have called them LVC given the redline selvedge and leather patch, but I'm not extremely well versed in Levi's denim so don't take my word for it

11. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I called up J.Crew's C.S. and they are indeed the same pair as i posted in the link... To make sure i also asked the person whom i got it from and they're indeed from the catalog.

What seems to be so special about this pair? Or are they just regular STF that's been marked up 200% from original price... Thanks!

Wrong. Just look at the back patch on the J Crew pair. Unless photoshopped, notice how "XX" isn't there but it is on yours? Same goes with the selvage which looks off.

The only thing "special" about this J Crew pair it would seem is that it has been washed. I don't know where you're getting your "200%" markup as most LVC retails for around $200 USD.

"Regular" STF isn't selvage, either.

I'll admit that my experience with LVC is limited but just from comparing the two pairs it would seem that one is just a standard LVC pair, the other is a more expensive J Crew pair. But "the same?" Hardly looks that way.

12. zzzzzard

zzzzzard Active Member

Where are you measuring your thighs, brother?

Around where my ass starts, they're 16". About an inch down, they're 15".

Really, I shit you not. I think Thin Finns in a 26 would fit me but I really want those measurements. Emailed nudie and got nothing.

13. connor

connor Senior member

the new hotness. gonna be hard leaving this on the bed to finish the cvsf contest [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. KitAkira

the new hotness. gonna be hard leaving this on the bed to finish the cvsf contest [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No hate but your legs look straight up twig-like. Straight and narrow

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

the new hotness. gonna be hard leaving this on the bed to finish the cvsf contest [​IMG]
    That's a really nice fit on you, Connor. What's the leg opening on those? 7.25-7"? What cut of Imperials are those? We'd love to see those Crates too...must be a different fit for them...