I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

You mean unlucky and he has his own thread.

have just posted there and hoping getting more responses here thks.

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Why would you get more responses in a thread not dedicated to his work vs a thread specifically to showcase his work?

3. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

Why would you get more responses in a thread not dedicated to his work vs a thread specifically to showcase his work?
    [​IMG] cos im gonna wear the belt with my jeans and therefore i post it in the "ultimate" jeans thread for beginners?

4. KitAkira

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Does BiG only hem jeans or do they also provide a tapering service? If not, what's a good tailor that will do a good job? I am looking to taper the inner seam down to get the hem to be 6.25" instead of 7" on my W+H jeans.

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Does BiG only hem jeans or do they also provide a tapering service? If not, what's a good tailor that will do a good job? I am looking to taper the inner seam down to get the hem to be 6.25" instead of 7" on my W+H jeans.
    BiG hems only. No tapering. I asked. Any tailor should be able to do that on the outseam for about $20 or less. Leg tapers are usually done starting about 12" down from crotch (at 'knee'). Inseam tapering I haven't tried, but find a good tailor in your neighborhood. Denim experience a plus. It's worth bringing in the jeans and discussing your options with them. If you have raw jeans, it's best to do the taper before washing/soaking them, before the seams get puckered and before the fabric tightens up. Remember, most STF jeans (and some sanforized) will shrink 1/4" across in the leg (.5" total circumference) when they see water. Factor that in when you decide measurements.

7. whitekimchee

whitekimchee Well-Known Member

so aside from shrinking my raw Levi's Cap E matchsticks I also was contemplating tapering the leg from 8 inches to 7.5. Now the question is, since they're already hemmed to the proper length should I soak them before or after the tapering?

8. KitAkira

If you have raw jeans, it's best to do the taper before washing/soaking them, before the seams get puckered and before the fabric tightens up. Remember, most STF jeans (and some sanforized) will shrink 1/4" across in the leg (.5" total circumference) when they see water. Factor that in when you decide measurements.
    I'd suggest the opposite. If you don't soak before getting alterations done, you run the very real risk of ending up with completely wrong measurements. Also, many places familiar with raw denim won't do alterations without first doing a soak since they can potentially be blamed for messed up measurements.

9. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Aren't W+H raws sanforized anyway? Not like they'll shrink.

10. connor

connor Senior member

i thought that too til my combs moved way up my legs during a 7 month wash of my nudies

11. benchan

benchan Senior member

Guys, (unwash/one wash)John Bull or Chimala, which one would you perfer if they are similar in price?

Both are selvage, the John Bull one seems to have the funky pink colour selvage.

12. zzzzzard

zzzzzard Active Member

waist: 28"
    thigh: 7.5"

These are my measurements. What brands of raw denim should I look into? Most jeans look hilariously baggy on me.

13. Alec_Jan

Alec_Jan Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm wondering what you guys do about this problem (raw denim): my shoes are getting killed by indigo! I'd like to wear them with some dress shoes I have, but having seen the impact on my sneakers, I'm very wary (I've tried to wipe it off, has worked to varying degrees). Even the denim I expected to hold indigo well (rrl, momotaro), as opposed to my nudies, are doing it. Is it going to be more forgiving on leather, is there some cleaning product that gets it particularly well and is easy on the leather?

Appreciate it!

14. KitAkira

waist: 28" thigh: 7.5" These are my measurements. What brands of raw denim should I look into? Most jeans look hilariously baggy on me.
    You do not have 15" thighs. Unless photographic proof is given, I refuse to believe that.

15. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Guys, (unwash/one wash)John Bull or Chimala, which one would you perfer if they are similar in price? Both are selvage, the John Bull one seems to have the funky pink colour selvage.
    Whichever fits best. I like the denim on both, I'm wearing Chimala right now.
    waist: 28" thigh: 7.5" These are my measurements. What brands of raw denim should I look into? Most jeans look hilariously baggy on me.
    Skinny jeans, cheap to expensive: Kill City, APC, Nudie, Julian Red, Somet, Flat Head, etc. to name a few.
    Hi, I'm wondering what you guys do about this problem (raw denim): my shoes are getting killed by indigo!
    Treatment: erasers. Prevention: put fabric tape under hems.