• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

fkhill33

Reaction score
Where can I get imperial dukes in Sydney? I bought a pair when I was in jp but have since lost some weight so they fit no more.... would love to pick up another pair.

fkhill33

Reaction score
Also looking to move on from my converses when wearing my apc's..... clarks ok?

whitekimchee

Reaction score
Ok so another Levi's Capital E matchstick question. This time it has to do with raw denim.

I purchased the matchsticks in raw denim and made the mistake of getting them hemmed before pre treating/soaking them. They feel loose around the waist and around my legs. Is there anything I can do about this without compromising the length of the jeans? Or do I have to just suck it up and wear them as is?

I know everyone is all about jeans from APC, R&B, etc... How come Capital E jeans don't get any love on this forum?

spagnutty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Re: 30/34s: call the stores? I know Levis doesn't limit their sizing to 32 inseam on smaller waisted jeans. Least I'm pretty sure. But this sizing problem (like fits) is one of the many good reasons to get away from Levis and mall brands. Sizing and fits is where the higher price pays off on more expensive jeans.
Yeah Levis has all sorts of size options on 501s, but their 514s are 30x30/30x32 onry. Gap has 30x34 online, but never actually in store, fwiw.

Originally Posted by mlyngard
Where are you located? Forum members should be able to guide you to places to try on jeans. Blue in Green and SelfEdge have locations in Soho, SE also in San Francisco. Barneys Co-op is many places, etc, etc...
I'm not so lucky as to live in NYC or SF hehe. Barneys Co-op looks like a great suggestion. Unless the in store selection is just absolutely awful, I should be able to try on a good deal of what I've been looking for.

I guess I'll go ahead and ask we're on the topic: Anyone else have any suggestions for good places to try on / shop in Atlanta?

Thanks again mlyngard, you're very helpful.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whitekimchee
I purchased the matchsticks in raw denim and made the mistake of getting them hemmed before pre treating/soaking them. They feel loose around the waist and around my legs. Is there anything I can do about this without compromising the length of the jeans? Or do I have to just suck it up and wear them as is? I know everyone is all about jeans from APC, R&B, etc... How come Capital E jeans don't get any love on this forum?
1) Not such a mistake, it's really not that big of a deal. If they're loose, they're loose. You need a smaller size. 2) Stick around and you'll see why.
Originally Posted by spagnutty
I guess I'll go ahead and ask we're on the topic: Anyone else have any suggestions for good places to try on / shop in Atlanta?
As mentioned before, Co-Op. Used to be another shop but it closed and the ex-owner now manages the Co-Op. You might even want to drop by and ask her/them.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whitekimchee
I purchased the matchsticks in raw denim and made the mistake of getting them hemmed before pre treating/soaking them. They feel loose around the waist and around my legs. Is there anything I can do about this without compromising the length of the jeans?
I'm not sure how much inseam shrink you'll get with those, but that dimension will have the greatest shrink, so if you try and shrink them... However, soaking or washing them is the only way to cure what ails you. There's only way to find out, right? A warm soak and air dry first is the general method for not over-shrinking them. No dryer unless you need it! Otherwise, chalk it up as a learning and sizing mistake (as many of us have with even more expensive jeans -(see 'buying and selling sub-forum, or hell, even my for sale posts now ;-) Regardless of what you hear about raw denim, soak all jeans (not wash, per-se, but definitely soak) before hemming and wear.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Capital E has some good fits. Matchstick is a great fit if you size it right. Denim is of lesser quality. Washes from what I've seen aren't half bad either.

whitekimchee

Reaction score
thanks guys. imma soak them and see what happens.

Actually i've never really soaked jeans before. Should I just fill up the bathtub and let them sit for awhile? or put it in a bucket?
a lot of you long time forum members are gonna rip me a new one for asking this.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Fill tub with hot water. Insert jeans. Wait. Remove jeans. Hang jeans. Drain tub.

whitekimchee

Reaction score
I figured as much. Thanks kitakira. how long though? 30 mins? an hour? use my own discretion?

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
45min is about as long as is going to really do anything unless you keep heating the water (which would only help with shrinking)

maltess

Reaction score
Hi to everyone ,

I bought a Larkee 008DB stretch , cotton and elastante. I dont have experience with stratch pants. So are these going to keep better their original shepe because of the stretch facto or in time they will become bigger because of this same thing?

thanks lot for your help

KitAkira

Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pronxs
has anyone bought a belt from "unwanted" (scott) here? few questions: 1. cowhide or horsehide? 2. comparable with tanner belts?
You mean unlucky and he has his own thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads