Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Veggie

Veggie Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some Levis's that are slim fitting and a pretty slim leg opening allowing for stacking.

2. zzzzzard

zzzzzard Active Member

I'm looking for some Levis's that are slim fitting and a pretty slim leg opening allowing for stacking.

Try 514s. If those are too baggy on you, 511s are slimmer. For stacking, just get them in a 32 or 34 inseam.

3. Veggie

Veggie Well-Known Member

Try 514s. If those are too baggy on you, 511s are slimmer. For stacking, just get them in a 32 or 34 inseam.
    Ok, just to clarify, are their leg openings as slim as say AW's grifters?

4. zzzzzard

zzzzzard Active Member

Ok, just to clarify, are their leg openings as slim as say AW's grifters?

Can you give me a measurement on that?

5. Veggie

Veggie Well-Known Member

Can you give me a measurement on that?

7.25 leg opening

6. spagnutty

spagnutty Active Member

What are my options for jeans with a similar fit to 514s, BUT I need to have either 34 or 36 inseam. 30x32 is way too short on me. :-/

Something I could do purdy fading with would be nice. <$100 would be super nice.

7. wwp

wwp Member

I hope this is the right place to ask this question -- I'd appreciate some advice. I recently received some Rag & Bone RB11's in the mail, and I just noticed that there is some strange stitching in the inseam. It looks like it "skips" about 2 inches along the leg near the ankle area. Is this normal...? I've attached 2 photos, one of the outside of the jean and one of the inside. I emailed [email protected], but they haven't replied, probably because it's a weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

i have jeans with elastane in them, will they fade? (real question not trolling)

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

i have jeans with elastane in them, will they fade? (real question not trolling)

Well the elastane won't fade but the cotton will, they're probably not raw so they'd barely fade (as much as washed off the rack jeans would)

10. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Does black denim generally take longer to fade than indigo denim? I have a pair of grey skulls that I've worn about 5 days a week for since august and they still aren't very faded.

11. nomad

nomad Senior member

black denim takes ages to fade

12. zzzzzard

zzzzzard Active Member

7.25 leg opening

511s will be fine for you. If you want even skinnier, go to 510s.

What are my options for jeans with a similar fit to 514s, BUT I need to have either 34 or 36 inseam. 30x32 is way too short on me. :-/

Something I could do purdy fading with would be nice. <$100 would be super nice.

<$100 doesn't leave you with a lot of options in term of raw denim.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=157881
    This thread is a good resource, however.

13. hondacivicalldayson

hondacivicalldayson New Member

Quick question guys, probaly asked a bunch
    Just bought some levis 511 and they fit really nice, but will they shrink alot in the wash? Also, will they stretch out again if i wear them alot if they shrink?

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

What is the full extent to which jeans can be tailored? If the waist fits me, can the legs be taken in to whatever I need? I ask this because I have emaciated legs and it is very difficult for me to buy jeans that fit me.
    The legs can be taken in on either the outseam (selvage) side or the inseam. Outseam is a very simple procedure and I've had a number of selvage jeans tapered this way. You're looking at about a $20 total cost. Inseam seam is slightly more complicated, but preserves the width of the selvage band.
    What are my options for jeans with a similar fit to 514s, BUT I need to have either 34 or 36 inseam. 30x32 is way too short on me. :-/ Something I could do purdy fading with would be nice. <$100 would be super nice.
    I know the 514 well. Jeans that I have or had that are a great alternate: Skull 5507, Warehouse Dubbleworks 660, PBJ 008, KMW 1980. Less than $100 is tricky, but the jCrew slim models are pretty respectable. Or GAP 1969 jeansOr the APC New Standards for $165. See the 'sub-200 selvage jeans' thread here...
    I recently received some Rag & Bone RB11's in the mail, and I just noticed that there is some strange stitching in the inseam. It looks like it "skips" about 2 inches along the leg near the ankle area. Is this normal...?
    Return them stat. The inseam is a chainstitch (pic 2), and if that loose thread breaks, that chainstitch will pull out and unravel like an anchor-line off a boat if the loose thread end is pulled on. It would cause me some worry for sure. it's a production error, so I don't think you should ask questions, just return them. Don't feel bad about it. These jeans are hand-sewn, so you will see small discrepancies like that from time to time. But that's not a good problem to have.

15. spagnutty

spagnutty Active Member

Thank you for the tips everyone. I'm gonna see if I can track down some APCs to try on. I'll be able to swallow a higher cost if the fit is really right. I appreciate the help.