• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Veggie

Reaction score
I'm looking for some Levis's that are slim fitting and a pretty slim leg opening allowing for stacking.

zzzzzard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Veggie
I'm looking for some Levis's that are slim fitting and a pretty slim leg opening allowing for stacking.

Try 514s. If those are too baggy on you, 511s are slimmer. For stacking, just get them in a 32 or 34 inseam.

Veggie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zzzzzard
Try 514s. If those are too baggy on you, 511s are slimmer. For stacking, just get them in a 32 or 34 inseam.
Ok, just to clarify, are their leg openings as slim as say AW's grifters?

zzzzzard

Reaction score
Ok, just to clarify, are their leg openings as slim as say AW's grifters?

Can you give me a measurement on that?

spagnutty

Reaction score
What are my options for jeans with a similar fit to 514s, BUT I need to have either 34 or 36 inseam. 30x32 is way too short on me. :-/

Something I could do purdy fading with would be nice. <$100 would be super nice.

wwp

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to ask this question -- I'd appreciate some advice. I recently received some Rag & Bone RB11's in the mail, and I just noticed that there is some strange stitching in the inseam. It looks like it "skips" about 2 inches along the leg near the ankle area. Is this normal...? I've attached 2 photos, one of the outside of the jean and one of the inside. I emailed [email protected], but they haven't replied, probably because it's a weekend.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have jeans with elastane in them, will they fade? (real question not trolling)

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ppllzz
i have jeans with elastane in them, will they fade? (real question not trolling)

Well the elastane won't fade but the cotton will, they're probably not raw so they'd barely fade (as much as washed off the rack jeans would)

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does black denim generally take longer to fade than indigo denim? I have a pair of grey skulls that I've worn about 5 days a week for since august and they still aren't very faded.

zzzzzard

Reaction score
7.25 leg opening

511s will be fine for you. If you want even skinnier, go to 510s.

Originally Posted by spagnutty
What are my options for jeans with a similar fit to 514s, BUT I need to have either 34 or 36 inseam. 30x32 is way too short on me. :-/

Something I could do purdy fading with would be nice. <$100 would be super nice.

<$100 doesn't leave you with a lot of options in term of raw denim.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=157881
This thread is a good resource, however.

hondacivicalldayson

Reaction score
Quick question guys, probaly asked a bunch
Just bought some levis 511 and they fit really nice, but will they shrink alot in the wash? Also, will they stretch out again if i wear them alot if they shrink?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zzzzzard
What is the full extent to which jeans can be tailored? If the waist fits me, can the legs be taken in to whatever I need? I ask this because I have emaciated legs and it is very difficult for me to buy jeans that fit me.
The legs can be taken in on either the outseam (selvage) side or the inseam. Outseam is a very simple procedure and I've had a number of selvage jeans tapered this way. You're looking at about a $20 total cost. Inseam seam is slightly more complicated, but preserves the width of the selvage band.
Originally Posted by spagnutty
What are my options for jeans with a similar fit to 514s, BUT I need to have either 34 or 36 inseam. 30x32 is way too short on me. :-/ Something I could do purdy fading with would be nice. <$100 would be super nice.
I know the 514 well. Jeans that I have or had that are a great alternate: Skull 5507, Warehouse Dubbleworks 660, PBJ 008, KMW 1980. Less than $100 is tricky, but the jCrew slim models are pretty respectable. Or GAP 1969 jeansOr the APC New Standards for $165. See the 'sub-200 selvage jeans' thread here...
Originally Posted by wwp
I recently received some Rag & Bone RB11's in the mail, and I just noticed that there is some strange stitching in the inseam. It looks like it "skips" about 2 inches along the leg near the ankle area. Is this normal...?
Return them stat. The inseam is a chainstitch (pic 2), and if that loose thread breaks, that chainstitch will pull out and unravel like an anchor-line off a boat if the loose thread end is pulled on. It would cause me some worry for sure. it's a production error, so I don't think you should ask questions, just return them. Don't feel bad about it. These jeans are hand-sewn, so you will see small discrepancies like that from time to time. But that's not a good problem to have.

spagnutty

Reaction score
Thank you for the tips everyone. I'm gonna see if I can track down some APCs to try on. I'll be able to swallow a higher cost if the fit is really right. I appreciate the help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads