I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I believe it's 14.5oz.

Pretty sure it's 13.5.

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Pretty sure it's 13.5.

Fine. Be that way.

3. julien

julien New Member

Hi,

I have the Edwin-47 jean for about 4/5 months.

first question: how should I wash them? I have no idea. any tips?

second: they are gonna shrink or not really? (they are a little bit large in the waist right now.)

thanks in advance

4. that_was_easy

that_was_easy Senior member

I know this a denim only thread, but I'm trying to figure some things out about my sizing (not having measured), for comparison purposes.

I'd like some advice on how KMW's Rigid Canvas is thought to stretch. I'm considering sizing down from my true 31W, where I seldom wear my jeans. I think I'm more concerned with the thigh measurements. 11.75 on the 31W 1980 pair I have is quite, tight, but it's also because I try to wear them at my true waist and even then they are slightly big in the waist, but still well fitting/snug in the thigh. The 30W pair of Rigid Canvas has a smaller thigh measurement of 11.25 and I really have no idea, based on the construction of the rest, how that might alter the fit.

I've read that the canvas is similar to the 1980 in fit (I'd even prefer a tighter fitting top block), but from the online charts this doesn't seem to be the case. I'm striving for a bit certainty at this point but haven't absorbed enough to draw and firm conclusions, which is what I'm hoping to at least approach, if I can't actually reach any.

I really hope somebody can drop some knowledge on something other than sanforized/unsanforized/starched denim or rehashed definitions. Recommendations? Thanks.

5. Delimit

Delimit Active Member

So I'm hoping someone here has experience with Onis...

Tried on a pair of Oni Blues. Fit me great in the waist/ass/rise. A tad wide in the leg. Can I get away with downsizing them? It'll take some of the extra width out of the leg while still fitting well everywhere else, but I'm worried about shrinkage.

1. How much rise am I looking to lose?
    2. Saw that they'll stretch a bit in the waist but I wanted to hit the hive-mind here before I sunk my dollars.

6. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

So I'm hoping someone here has experience with Onis...

Tried on a pair of Oni Blues. Fit me great in the waist/ass/rise. A tad wide in the leg. Can I get away with downsizing them? It'll take some of the extra width out of the leg while still fitting well everywhere else, but I'm worried about shrinkage.

1. How much rise am I looking to lose?
    2. Saw that they'll stretch a bit in the waist but I wanted to hit the hive-mind here before I sunk my dollars.

they lose about .5-.75 on the rise, depending on what [tagged] size we are talking here? if i were you, since you have physical access to them, to actually measure bought sizes for comparison. can't get more accuracy than that.

7. zzzzzard

zzzzzard Active Member

Could I get Thin Finn Dry Stretch measurements in a 26x32? No websites have a chart.

8. Delimit

Delimit Active Member

34 was the size I tried. If it loses an half inch or so I should be fine. I'll try them on again before I make the plunge with that in mind.

9. Whiskey

Whiskey Senior member

I was shopping at Marshalls today for some socks and I came across these Levi Jeans with a "blue star" on the label. It has a blue star on a white label and says "carefully nurtured, Levi's blue". The tag says they were made in Turkey. I tried to google "blue star levi jeans" but it didn't come up with much. I can also include some pictures if needed.

Tags also says "Product with roots. Limited edition 1967 505 jeans"

10. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

So I'm hoping someone here has experience with Onis... Tried on a pair of Oni Blues. Fit me great in the waist/ass/rise. A tad wide in the leg. Can I get away with downsizing them? It'll take some of the extra width out of the leg while still fitting well everywhere else, but I'm worried about shrinkage. 1. How much rise am I looking to lose? 2. Saw that they'll stretch a bit in the waist but I wanted to hit the hive-mind here before I sunk my dollars.
    I'm assuming you're getting them from BiG since they're the only stockists, just e-mail them or ask next time you go in, they're really helpful

11. Delimit

Delimit Active Member

Ya, I'm in NYC. Will probably go in tomorrow and make the call after trying a few possible alternatives on. Just doing a bit of last minute research before then and thought I'd try y'all.

There's a serious dearth of recent Oni info online.

Thanks for the replies.

12. Whiskey

Whiskey Senior member

Does anyone know if Levi's 5014 jeans are raw denim? It is part of their Blue Star collection.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Ya, I'm in NYC. Will probably go in tomorrow and make the call after trying a few possible alternatives on. Just doing a bit of last minute research before then and thought I'd try y'all. There's a serious dearth of recent Oni info online. Thanks for the replies.
    My two cents: You probably already know that you'll loose .5" across when those are soaked. .5" in the rise, .25" leg opening. That shrinkage should be factored in. If you're finding the fit isn't quite right on a pair, downsizing isn't the solution to change the fit. I've tried that. No go. I've also passed on many otherwise awesome jeans because of leg fit. You start compromising on other aspects of the fit when you downsize. Other than simple tailoring/tapering, you should probably re-think aspects of the cut you need, and understand now that this particular cut probably isn't for you. Use Gordon's expertise and tell him what you like and don't like when asking for alternate suggestions. You're lucky to have that resource in person.

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Does anyone know if Levi's 5014 jeans are raw denim? It is part of their Blue Star collection.
    Nope. Only true raw jeans Levis makes are the 501 stf. (and their top-tier LVC stuff)

15. Delimit

Delimit Active Member

My two cents: You probably already know that you'll loose .5" across when those are soaked. .5" in the rise, .25" leg opening. That shrinkage should be factored in.

If you're finding the fit isn't quite right on a pair, downsizing isn't the solution to change the fit. I've tried that. No go. I've also passed on many otherwise awesome jeans because of leg fit. You start compromising on other aspects of the fit when you downsize.

Other than simple tailoring/tapering, you should probably re-think aspects of the cut you need, and understand now that this particular cut probably isn't for you. Use Gordon's expertise and tell him what you like and don't like when asking for alternate suggestions. You're lucky to have that resource in person.

I think part of my problem is I took a friend along for an "unbiased" opinion, but sadly, his favorite that I tried on was a pair of Pure Blue Japans that in my mind were entirely too slim. Talking this out a bit here and letting the fact that the friend I took leans entirely too far towards the skinny jean percolate a bit is leaving me leaning towards the Onis.

I want a classic straight leg jean rather than something that's going to look stylish now and not a year from now. The Onis fit was awesome in the waist and rise. I personally had no real issue with the leg width. The texture of the denim was awesome.

Thanks again for the response. The back and forth on this is getting me clearer on what it is I want exactly.