I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ranker

ranker Senior member

What is the purpose of "soaking" jeans after purchasing? What does it entail? What are the pros and cons of doing it? And is it limited only to raw denim?

2. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Anyone know where I might be able to get the Nom De Guerre Classic White denim? (this picture made me think I need a white pair of denim) [​IMG]

3. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

What is the purpose of "soaking" jeans after purchasing? What does it entail? What are the pros and cons of doing it? And is it limited only to raw denim?

Soaking does a bunch... Or nothing at all, lol...

In case of unsanforized (so called Shrink-To-Fit or STF) denim, soaking is nessecary to shrink the denim to appropriate sizes, hence the name STF.

Sanforized denim, though treated to be pre-shrunk when it arrives at the buyer, still shrinks up to 3%. So soaking here, can help to get max shrinkage. Though, even if said all denim will shrink, the amount in which it shrinks will be different.

On the other side soaking is good to get starch and excess indigo out of your jeans, which will help softening them up. The cons however for removing starch is that creases will take longer to set, so is said often.

4. ad20

ad20 Member

I've bought my first pair of raw denim jeans and i'm sort of new to this whole thing.

Can I prevent the leg's inside from bleeding completely? It leaves stains on my shoes and i'm fed up with rolling the ends up.

[​IMG]

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

you gotta roll with the stains or roll with a roll for no stains [​IMG]

6. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Fabric tape, duct tape, Scotch tape, any kind of tape will do.

7. ad20

ad20 Member

What if I would treat the the inside of the seem with a solvent like turpentine or acetone in order to remove the excessive indigo?

8. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

that sounds incredibly stupid. So ya go do that

9. zzzzzard

zzzzzard Active Member

Do the High Kai and Long John cuts come in raw? I don't see them anywhere on the Nudies site.

10. RustyRyan

RustyRyan Senior member

Has anyone seen any jeans currently out with front pockets fades? What i mean is fading along the lines the front pocket "bags"? I thought i saw some pre-distressed edwins like this awhile back. Any input appreciated.

11. ranker

ranker Senior member

Soaking does a bunch... Or nothing at all, lol... In case of unsanforized (so called Shrink-To-Fit or STF) denim, soaking is nessecary to shrink the denim to appropriate sizes, hence the name STF. Sanforized denim, though treated to be pre-shrunk when it arrives at the buyer, still shrinks up to 3%. So soaking here, can help to get max shrinkage. Though, even if said all denim will shrink, the amount in which it shrinks will be different. On the other side soaking is good to get starch and excess indigo out of your jeans, which will help softening them up. The cons however for removing starch is that creases will take longer to set, so is said often.
    Ahhh thanks. What does one soak jeans such as APC NS in? Just plain water? And does the soaking get rid of the jeans staining white shoes problem?

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Ahhh thanks. What does one soak jeans such as APC NS in? Just plain water? And does the soaking get rid of the jeans staining white shoes problem?
    Water, hot or cold (can add soap later if you want a bit of cleaning without the agitation of a machine washer, just need to soak again to rinse) depending on how much you want them to shrink. It can help with it but depends on the dye, wouldn't hurt to try though (you can also line the hem with tape or fabric)

13. steezin

steezin Senior member

Whats the weight of APC denim?

14. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

I've bought my first pair of raw denim jeans and i'm sort of new to this whole thing.

Can I prevent the leg's inside from bleeding completely? It leaves stains on my shoes and i'm fed up with rolling the ends up.

just what KitAkira + whodini mentioned .... to add : OR partiallly cold soak+agitate the hems to loosen up starch and excess dye. this process will also prevent creasing along the hemline [if you cuff]. *** repeat periodically, til bleeding stops.

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Whats the weight of APC denim?

I believe it's 14.5oz.