I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. BossTweed

BossTweed Senior member

I was hoping for an answer to this too, since I'm in the same boat and I don't really understand it since everyone says to measure around where your jeans sit and that's your waist size. When I measure around I'm 36 too, but I wear size 33 comfortably. I found my waist size by finding a pair of jeans that fit well and measuring them. Take a measurement of your levis across the waist, aligning the top, and that should be it.
    I mean, all this sizing info is just to help people who are buying over the internet and can't try them on. If you're in the market for Levi's, just try them on. If they're a little tight initially, they will stretch out. Get whatever's comfortable.

2. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Who makes the softest washed straight-leg denim jeans? I'm not picky about brand, just fabric.

3. noneshallpass

noneshallpass Well-Known Member

I know it's cross-posted, but this question belongs here:

How do I wash khaki color jeans? I have some Uniqlo S-001's that are khaki in color. Do I still wash them in cold water with Woolite, then hang dry?

4. noneshallpass

noneshallpass Well-Known Member

Who makes the softest washed straight-leg denim jeans? I'm not picky about brand, just fabric.
    I have a limited experience with jeans, but Uniqlo has been the softest for me.

5. user7

user7 Senior member

I just soaked them in tepid water and agitated the shit out of them with my hands. The water was probably the grossest water I've ever seen. Now I know why we invented the washing machine.

dude, that's disgusting. If there's vomit, wash them.

Seriously, wash cold, hang dry. Won't do harm. Won't have soaked in vomit water.

6. ranker

ranker Senior member

I've done as much research as possible but everything I've searched results in use of language that's far above my knowledge in the subject matter of jeans. I'm hoping to get everything answered in one post so here goes:

What's the difference in quality between a pair of Diesel jeans vs. APC jeans and similar brands? I see everyone here touting APC jeans and the like. Is it better quality or is it just groupthink similar to how certain brands are pushed over on Men's Style.

How much should I be looking to pay for a pair of APC jeans brand new?

What does selvage mean? The research I've done on these forums seem to indicate that its just some form of stitching/folding. Does this make for better comfort? longer life? or is it just a way to indicating "I've spent more money on this" similar to how over on Men's Style we seem to love garments with pick stitching.

What does raw imply as opposed to 'non' raw? Is my understanding correct that raw just means that there hasn't been any fake breaking in done to it? Or does it mean something else as well?

Last but not least, if I do buy a pair of APC new standards online, what size should I purchase if my waist measures out to be 30", mid waist is 32" and hip bone is 33-34". I normally wear size 30 jeans in Guess/Diesel (sometimes 29 in Diesel depending on the model).

Thanks in advance

7. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

I've only soaked my dry denim. Contemplating a first wash--what's the best way to wash denim?

8. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I've only soaked my dry denim. Contemplating a first wash--what's the best way to wash denim?
    A bucket, water, and some soap. Let it sit for a while. Or washing machine if you don't give a shit.

9. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

I've done as much research as possible but everything I've searched results in use of language that's far above my knowledge in the subject matter of jeans. I'm hoping to get everything answered in one post so here goes:

What's the difference in quality between a pair of Diesel jeans vs. APC jeans and similar brands? I see everyone here touting APC jeans and the like. Is it better quality or is it just groupthink similar to how certain brands are pushed over on Men's Style.

How much should I be looking to pay for a pair of APC jeans brand new?

What does selvage mean? The research I've done on these forums seem to indicate that its just some form of stitching/folding. Does this make for better comfort? longer life? or is it just a way to indicating "I've spent more money on this" similar to how over on Men's Style we seem to love garments with pick stitching.

What does raw imply as opposed to 'non' raw? Is my understanding correct that raw just means that there hasn't been any fake breaking in done to it? Or does it mean something else as well?

Last but not least, if I do buy a pair of APC new standards online, what size should I purchase if my waist measures out to be 30", mid waist is 32" and hip bone is 33-34". I normally wear size 30 jeans in Guess/Diesel (sometimes 29 in Diesel depending on the model).

Thanks in advance

From one MCer to another:

I don't know from quality. I don't think that wear or longevity come into the discussion with jeans. I know that this is the important distinction: APC jeans are just jeans. They make one fabric, no finishes, five fits. Once you buy them, you get to finish them, because they're raw (unwashed). Diesel styles their jeans, so you buy them how THEY want them. There isn't an analogue to tailored clothing, because the wear process over time is what makes jeans unique, but with APC you own that process from start to finish, and with Diesel you don't.

APC are cheap and reliable raw jeans. Expect to pay $150 or so for a pair. Look at the APC thread here for sizing information. My guess is that you'll buy a 28" waist. You had better know what your thigh, knee and ankle measurements are too - perhaps the NS won't fit you.

Selvage is a way of denoting that the jeans were made of a higher quality fabric. It's exactly like pickstitching - a sign to those who'll recognize it that you know what you're doing when you buy jeans.

10. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

I'd like to add although APC are the introductory raw jean you might want to browse another simple brand or two if you feel there's anything about APC which puts you off. They're notorious for stretch (multiple sizes) and I personally do not think they age well. I don't expect you to anticipate wearing your jeans down to death but I see much more unattractive, washed out pairs of worn APC than I do attractive and brilliant ones.

Pre-styled denim does fade but inconsistantly with the stylings they came with. Pretty unattractive. It's like getting gouges on "distressed leather" (polyurethane) which is out of place and unnatural.

Selvedge is argued over a lot because exceptions exist on either side but I think they look much more polished and clean than other ways of connecting fabric.

11. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

A bucket, water, and some soap. Let it sit for a while.

Or washing machine if you don't give a shit.

Any particular soap?

I'm more on the "don't give a shit" bandwagon.

12. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Black woolite, cold water, hang dry.

13. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Any particular soap? I'm more on the "don't give a shit" bandwagon.
    Dr.Bronner's is what I use in the bucket, whatever in the machine. Depends on how anal you are about indigo loss.

14. zzzzzard

zzzzzard Active Member

Turns out that I bought my Thin Finns too big, as I didn't account for stretching.

These jeans are new. What would be the best method of selling them?

15. dawit

dawit Senior member

Where can I buy Diore Homme raw denim? 19 or 21cm?