I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Unecessary n00b tip:

Dont put y0 raw jawnz in the dryer. I tried to speed up a hang dry before travel and turned my dryer blue.

Shit was beat.

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Unecessary n00b tip: Dont put y0 raw jawnz in the dryer. I tried to speed up a hang dry before travel and turned my dryer blue. Shit was beat.
    Indigo is really easy to clean, just wipe with a damp towel (or if you're lazy throw some wet rags in there and let them do the work for you). Even if you leave it, it won't mess up clothes or anything

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Unecessary n00b tip:

Dont put y0 raw jawnz in the dryer. I tried to speed up a hang dry before travel and turned my dryer blue.

Shit was beat.

Nothing wrong at all with donating your (bad) experiences to the common knowledge, brother. We all learn the hard way, and hope we can pass that along to others before they make the same mistake. I've made a few dryers blue myself, not to mention the inside of the jeans.

The only bad karma you'll get is leaving it blue for the next poor sucker ;-)

4. obnavox3

obnavox3 Senior member

I just bought my first pair of raw selvedge jeans (3sixteen indigos), I'm wondering if there is a generally accepted timeline of soaking and washing a new pair of jeans over the course of the first year of general wear or if everyone does something different. do I need to soak them before i start wearing them?
    thanks,

From what I understand, you do not soak sanforized denim like 3Sixteen before wearing. As far as washing, I washed mine in cold water and hung them to dry after wearing them for a couple of months. I have the SL-100X's and they are great jeans, they don't stretch a ton like APCs and Nudies do.

5. mark5hs

mark5hs Member

Repost:
    Alright I recently got a pair of DC raw denim jeans. They're huge on me right now... I wear 30 and they're 32. I want them to shrink as much as possible. What's the best way to do that? But I also want them to do that high fade thing (I'd like something high contrast). If I leave em in hot water to shrink them, will the color fade in the process and will it be as if they're washed? Or can I shrink them first and then wear them as before?
    Thanks!

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

From what I understand, you do not soak sanforized denim like 3Sixteen before wearing.

[​IMG]

7. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Nothing wrong at all with donating your (bad) experiences to the common knowledge, brother. We all learn the hard way, and hope we can pass that along to others before they make the same mistake. I've made a few dryers blue myself, not to mention the inside of the jeans.

The only bad karma you'll get is leaving it blue for the next poor sucker ;-)

haha that next poor sucker is me, its my dryer.[​IMG]
    had to use some bleach to get it all out.

8. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I wanna get a pair of petite standards for my girlfriend as a late Christmas present. Just trying to get my sizing right.

5'5 110lbs
    waist: 24 in
    Hips: 31-32 in.

normally a 0-2 (i think) in most womens jeans.

I guess it all depends on how low rise the PS are compared to girlier jeans. obviously if they were going to fit on the hips i should get 28 or 29, but if they fit just above her hips probably 27's.

I might go with New Cures, I'm not sure

Any thoughts?

9. idlefool

idlefool Member

Hey I just bought an used pair of Nudies off of someone, everything else fits fine but the ass part is stretched to shit. Is there a way to tailor them to make it smaller? I know that soaking and washing the jeans will shrink them, but I really dont want to resort to that since there are no fades yet.

10. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Hey I just bought an used pair of Nudies off of someone, everything else fits fine but the ass part is stretched to shit. Is there a way to tailor them to make it smaller? I know that soaking and washing the jeans will shrink them, but I really dont want to resort to that since there are no fades yet.
    Nope, the only way to alter that measurement is to take apart the entire pair of jeans and cut and reassemble them. Maybe a good way to learn a new skill, but no tailor would take that job unless you're a close friend and even then it'd be a stretch

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Yeah, like Kit said, you'd have to deconstruct the jeans to do that. Some jeans are infamous for diaper ass (Nudie, Jean Shop, KMW to name a few).

There's only two things you can do:

1. Live with it (and soak regularly) until the jeans get broken in and diaper ass drapes better
    2. Chalk this up to experience (as you have to with jeans) and find other makes that don't do that.

I have many jeans that haven't given me that problem. Trick is that you won't know until you've worn them for a while.

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Anyone ever hit up those Jean Shop rockers in black from the Gilt sale? I've been wanting a pair of black selvedge denim for awhile but been so broke, I can get these for $30 with my credit.

13. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

From my experience, you should size down on jean shops. They run large. I sized down one on mine, but I regret not sizing down two. They sag a bit too much now IMO. The stretch is nowhere as severe as APC's though.

14. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Yeah, I took the black JS rockers last time around in a 28 and they were huge. I'm 5'6" and ~30" at the waist.

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Yeah, I took the black JS rockers last time around in a 28 and they were huge. I'm 5'6" and ~30" at the waist.

I got a pair of 28 rockers that were 31 dry. Jesus. That's why I ranted a few months ago about some jeans driving me fucking batty with their sizing.