I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

mlyngard should post pics of his jean-stretching device again.

2. krylon80

krylon80 Well-Known Member

haha, i can only imagine.

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I just bought my first pair of raw selvedge jeans (3sixteen indigos), I'm wondering if there is a generally accepted timeline of soaking and washing a new pair of jeans over the course of the first year of general wear or if everyone does something different. do I need to soak them before i start wearing them?
    thanks,

Basically, the wisdom I learned, and have since proven time and again, is: soak or wash them when new. Then wear as long as you want while breaking them in. Don't wash, or do. No wash gives higher contrast fades, washing fades them quicker with less contrast. Wash when you need to, and don't be afraid to wash or soak them often. If you're afraid to wash, you wont wear them or get them dirty the way you should be.

In essence: treat 'em like good old jeans and they'll return the favor.

Yes and Yes, I'd like something MIJ.

First - peruse the offerings from BiG and SE. There's just too many options available unless you give us better parameters. Take the dimensions off your APC as BiG does, like this:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41

and use that as a benchmark when looking at other pair. Almost everything BiG and SE has is worthy denim, imo. Look for 'slim straight' and 'slim tapered' descriptions, but don't limit yourself to that. Rise and leg opening dimensions are really important determiners for overall fit.
    what are some good techniques for getting jeans to stretch?

Try my freakish contraption. No pain and it's cheap.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=151033

(Thanks for remembering...)

haha, i can only imagine.

This gizmo, sadly, didn't get patented:

[​IMG]

4. krylon80

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I must say that's ingenious, only problem is, my concern is stretching hems/lower leg. is this even possible?

I've seen people say they did it by hand while the jeans were damp. Not sure how much you'll really get.

6. krylon80

I've seen people say they did it by hand while the jeans were damp. Not sure how much you'll really get.

yeah, that's my concern, might not be worth the trouble. I have a cut of PVC pipe that i could force down the leg after a soak. i had not planned on soaking/washing these because i want to maintain their current look/overall fit. i'm weighing if it's even worth soaking and stretching for potentially no results against potentially altering the overall fit and look of the denim.

7. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I just bought my first pair of raw selvedge jeans (3sixteen indigos), I'm wondering if there is a generally accepted timeline of soaking and washing a new pair of jeans over the course of the first year of general wear or if everyone does something different. do I need to soak them before i start wearing them? thanks,
    They're sanforized, no soak necessary. As for soaking/washing it's all up to you. If you feel that they've stretched out too much, opt for a hot soak. If you feel they're dirty/stinky then wash them. It's mostly an American thing to go without washing, many of the Japanese wash regularly and get some really nice fades.
    what are some good techniques for getting jeans to stretch?
    If you can fit in the jeans post-soak, wear while wet and they'll conform to your body as they dry (and if you can wear them pre-soak but fear how much they'll stretch with a soak, wear while soaking in medium-hot water and 'll prevent them from shrinking too much). If you can't fit the jeans, try sticking something (a hanger, a 2x4, anything) in the waist while it dries ... Or that strange death ray machine mlyngard invented
    I must say that's ingenious, only problem is, my concern is stretching hems/lower leg. is this even possible?
    If you can't fit into them, just try to find something to shove in there and force tension. A wad of shirts may even work but it'd be slow going. The hem can be stretched using the same method as the waist but you won't want to stretch that without the leg or you'll end up with bellbottoms

8. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

yeah, that's my concern, might not be worth the trouble. I have a cut of PVC pipe that i could force down the leg after a soak. i had not planned on soaking/washing these because i want to maintain their current look/overall fit. i'm weighing if it's even worth soaking and stretching for potentially no results against potentially altering the overall fit and look of the denim.

I personally always recommend a soak for all jeans, sanforized or not. For lots of reasons. Most importantly that all shrinkage should really be gotten out of the way in advance.

As Kit said, these are sanforized. You're prob. not going to see enough shrink to change the fit very much, compared to unsanforized. And jeans shrink proportionally, so the fit will adjust all over (as I'm sure you know).

If you have concerns about the fit being too tight or about the leg opening being too small, re-think the size and cut and you bought and exchange them.

9. Bates

Bates Well-Known Member

Ok I try to post here instead then...

I need some new jeans, tight ones without "stretch".
    I don't like the "long johns (underwear)"feeling I get by wearing that kind of jeans.
    I really like Levis 511 but they are too wide down at the ankles.
    Can anyone recommend something similar to the 511 with a tighter ankle?

Someone said something about Levis 514?

Help me out [​IMG]

10. Jump Around

Jump Around Senior member

I think the 511s(Skinny) are tapered at the bottom of the jeans and 514s(Slim Straight) are straight through out, so no taper.

11. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

12. theom-

theom- Senior member

levis 514s are baggier than 511s. Where do you get the idea that slim straight is fuller than skinny. Try 510 super skinny or 520 tapered skinny.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Can anyone recommend something similar to the 511 with a tighter ankle?

Someone said something about Levis 514?

Help me out [​IMG]

Suggest emailing Gordon at Blue in Green or Kiya at Self Edge and ask them for a 'skinny' jean without stretch (lycra). You can ask about Nudie and 3Sixteen for slim jean cuts at a (relatively)modest price point. There's also the APC New Cure, $155, available at some of our affiliates. There's also Cheap Monday. I can't in good faith steer you to anything like Urban Outfitter's jeans.

[​IMG]
    LOL. i used to do this :

nowadays, i just just buy the right size.[​IMG]

Nice! (nice jeans too)
    Yeah, I'm kinda into the 'right-size' thing too, but you'd be surprised what can happen in a bathtub full of hot water and some wishful thinking on the stretch factor...

I also don't dig pain or bruising that much.

14. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

[​IMG] LOL. i used to do this : [​IMG] nowadays, i just just buy the right size.[​IMG]
    Why would you stretch them that way? Stretching horizontally puts the stress on the center seams which are a lot stronger than the outseams

15. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Why would you stretch them that way? Stretching horizontally puts the stress on the center seams which are a lot stronger than the outseams
    1st, if currently asked about stretching method : Xposted from MN

thx a bunch appfaff...make me having some hope in these.....tight its not a problem as long they can button all up..gotta make it stretch in waist first before the 1st soak

btw what did you mean by "unsual soaking method" enlighten me....

1stly, 3001s are TTS to +1. 2ndly, stretching before soaking is an exercise in futility... you lose what you've gained+shrinkage during the soak. if you're able to button up, but waist is already tight pre-soak, just do a partial warm/hot soak [below the top block] for an hour. then hang dry.

as for "unusual soaking methods" :

i, particularly, hate the pain of board-stiff raw denim digging in my gut. so, i do above 2x [inside-out], then do an additional quick cold soak of the entire jeans as i briskly agitate the waistband to remove some of the starch and loosen up yarn. while still damp, step onto one end of the waistband and tug/pull from the other side... careful not to damage/rip them apart . button up. get a sturdy hanger or stick that's about your [flat] waist measurement and chuck it on the waistband. then, hang dry.

can't ask you not to, but i suggest to refrain from soaking in them. for one, cuz it's messy, juvenile, and painful. another thing is, that's how you usually get unwanted random creasing.

but, as for the "jack" incident, i applied [just enough] pressure directly to the waistband, not the seams. as they dry, i tweaked the pressure up a bit til desired. as prep, i made sure the top button is properly reinforced and secured to prevent it from popping. it was part of experimenting & discovering stuff on your own. like i mentioned ... i don't do this anymore.