I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. so1id

so1id New Member

Can someone recommend me a nice pair of raw jeans to wear for everyday use? I have a pair of Levi's 514 jeans that I wear pretty much everyday but I would like something that's a bit higher in quality. My budget is under $200. I'm also about 5'6" and 137 lbs. I lift weights 3 days of the week and my thighs measure about 20" and my waist is 30". The problems I usually encounter are that the slim jeans are too long or its way too tight around the thighs. I'd appreciate any input from anyone that has the same body as I do and what you did to get nice looking jeans. Thanks alot

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Thanks, I'll get pics up when I can. Damn I wanted to keep that white! Texture/slub - you mean the roughness of like Skull+Samurai?
    Could always bleach it, most people don't like white patches because they're so noticeable and flashy PBJ, Samurai Texas Cotton, Sugarcane, etc.

3. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Can someone recommend me a nice pair of raw jeans to wear for everyday use? I have a pair of Levi's 514 jeans that I wear pretty much everyday but I would like something that's a bit higher in quality. My budget is under $200. I'm also about 5'6" and 137 lbs. I lift weights 3 days of the week and my thighs measure about 20" and my waist is 30". The problems I usually encounter are that the slim jeans are too long or its way too tight around the thighs. I'd appreciate any input from anyone that has the same body as I do and what you did to get nice looking jeans. Thanks alot

I know you said your budget is 200, but I'm 5'6", 140 lbs, 30.5" waist and my legs are a hair under 20"... and I've fallen in love with Somet 003. I don't have a lot of experience with different brands and noobs tend to only suggest what they own, but I'm alright with suggesting 003 because the rise is ideal for people of our height. If you wear your jeans comfortably (about the location where your belted jeans naturally drift to after walking around a little), you'll see that the crotch starts at the best spot. It's low enough for comfort without hurting and it really proportions your upper legs properly. I think the rise is ridiculous on paper- 8 inches or something, but it works flawlessly. I got the 28.

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Thanks, I'll get pics up when I can.
    Damn I wanted to keep that white!

Texture/slub - you mean the roughness of like Skull+Samurai?

Hmm I don't know if I want to lose inch on the waist.
    Also, I thought I was supposed to wear them and stack the knees to get the honeycombing for a while before any washing? Won't the warm/hot soak before wearing and any natural creases make it harder to form the fades later on? I'd like to keep this darker color longer instead of having it fade so soon.

It won't stay white. Let it do it's thing. You can try putting mink oil protectant on it, but that's all I would do.

Yeah, I meant texture/slub. There's too many interesting experiences to be had with slubby denim. You'll find most raw jeans feel very different after their intial break-in. Slubs and texture smooth out with wear, but you get some amazing fading with slubby denim. Don't miss out.

Soak those now. Don't break them in without a soak. Soaking 'primes' the denim and you start from the most shrunk they'll ever be. I feel it's foolish to break in raw jeans when they're dry (ive done it four times and when I eventually soaked, realized i'd royally fucked up - for various reasons).

Think of it like defrosting that chicken before ya cook it.

5. Riio

Riio Senior member

So I'm skinny everywhere but thighs. Would a pair of N&F weird guys be flattering or worsen things?

6. bencho

bencho Well-Known Member

It won't stay white. Let it do it's thing. You can try putting mink oil protectant on it, but that's all I would do.

Yeah, I meant texture/slub. There's too many interesting experiences to be had with slubby denim. You'll find most raw jeans feel very different after their intial break-in. Slubs and texture smooth out with wear, but you get some amazing fading with slubby denim. Don't miss out.

Soak those now. Don't break them in without a soak. Soaking 'primes' the denim and you start from the most shrunk they'll ever be. I feel it's foolish to break in raw jeans when they're dry (ive done it four times and when I eventually soaked, realized i'd royally fucked up - for various reasons).

Think of it like defrosting that chicken before ya cook it.

I see. Well for now I'm going to work on these SomÃ[​IMG]ts.... till I can afford another haha. Will probably take me that long to get used to the initial roughness too.

Should I unfold them when I soak? Or can I just throw them in as they are now [folded neatly from factory] and let them sit in a tub of warm water. I shouldn't work them at all right, just let them sit.

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I see. Well for now I'm going to work on these SomÃ[​IMG]ts.... till I can afford another haha. Will probably take me that long to get used to the initial roughness too.

Should I unfold them when I soak? Or can I just throw them in as they are now [folded neatly from factory] and let them sit in a tub of warm water. I shouldn't work them at all right, just let them sit.

In the overall picture, those Somets are pretty soft and comfy by comparison to other brands. But I think everyones first pair of raws seems heavy and stiff.

This is the way I do it:

Unfold them, and lay them out in the tub, run hot water over them. Add boiling water from a kettle from time to time if you want to keep it really hot. Half hour is enough. Hang dry (ideally from both the side belt loops so the jeans don't develop set wrinkles in unusual places).

Water will turn brown-ish with these. You probably wont see a blue ring around the tub with Somets. Let the excess water run out of them in the tub for a while before moving. I usually hang them from the shower head for a bit until the excess water drips off.

Agitation of the jeans in the water doesn't matter at all. Wont hurt them, and actually helps stir out the pools of starch trapped inside the legs.

Jeans will seem stiffer when dry, but they'll soften up fast. One tip is to buy some pot hooks that are big enough to hook over your shower curtain rod. Then hang the jeans from those. It's handy.

If you want to get the waist to stretch back out to the pre-soak size, wear them damp, or find something to stretch the waist out with while they dry. Denim is most pliable when damp.

8. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

So I'm skinny everywhere but thighs. Would a pair of N&F weird guys be flattering or worsen things?

flattering if sized correctly. size down 1-2

9. krylon80

krylon80 Well-Known Member

Hey All,

I'm looking for a way to stretch out the bottoms of some uniqlo raws. i have not washed these yet, any suggestions?

TIA.

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hey All,

I'm looking for a way to stretch out the bottoms of some uniqlo raws. i have not washed these yet, any suggestions?

TIA.

Leg legth, leg opening, or ass? Any stretching like that is best done while jeans are damp. Some kind of jig to hold it in place 'til dry is helpful.

11. krylon80

krylon80 Well-Known Member

Leg legth, leg opening, or ass? Any stretching like that is best done while jeans are damp. Some kind of jig to hold it in place 'til dry is helpful.
    sorry, leg opening and maybe bout 6" up only. i have a thing to keep the shape of shoes that works quite well. so if i wash them and then use that to spread the bottom of the leg, once dry they will be a bit loser?

12. DTJ

DTJ Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any raw denim with a similar fit to the Acne Mic? (maybe even with a tiny bit more room in the leg??)

Thx in advance

13. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

14. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Anyone know of any raw denim with a similar fit to the Acne Mic? (maybe even with a tiny bit more room in the leg??) Thx in advance
    Just check the measurements [​IMG]

15. jessetk313

jessetk313 Senior member

I really like my APC New Standards but got them hemmed a little short for my liking. I am looking for a new jean that is similar to the New standard, but will have a slimmer knee. I looked at the petite standard but the rise may be too low, and I want a better quality jean. So slimmer knee than NS and better quality, What do you guys recommend.