I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Babaloo

Babaloo Member

Anybody have NDG classic fits? Just got a pair and the hip flares are really noticeable as the thighs are pretty roomy and the jeans are stiff as hell. Does the flare go down as they soften up?

2. bencho

bencho Well-Known Member

I just got back from BiG. Terrible snowstorm. Went to Queens with some family to eat and getting back was one hella trip. Never would I have imagined myself dropping $300 for a pair of jeans >___< but i did. Got a pair of Somet 003 size 28. It felt good the moment I got my ass into them.... about 5 minutes of struggling. Guy named Taka helped me try on numerous pairs. I wasn't drawn to the really rough jeans, like Skull/Samurai. They felt really really stiff. The Somets feel amazing. Stiff but with a tenderness to them. I think I'm going to do a photo-by-photo unboxing later. They meticulously packaged them for me. One thing I'm worried about is that their leather patch logo on the back is WHITE. I asked them to get me a new pair because there was faded blue on the pair that i tried on. When I soak... how am I supposed to keep that white leather clean?! Also, How much do Somet's stain clothing? And for how long... I read that post above and it didn't occur to me that the dye would stain furniture and stuff. How many washes before the color sets and doesn't get onto white/light coloured stuff? On a side note- should I stay here for footwear advice for these denims? I've been wearing Reebok Classics since the beginning of time but I don't think they match up too well with the way these Somet's look. I saw a pair of shoes, Stone Island, that were like WHOA but it cost $600..... http://www.stoneisland.co.uk/Latest-...05115s593v0029

3. Jump Around

Jump Around Senior member

looks fine

Nice, I appreciate the feed back.

4. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

I just got back from BiG. Terrible snowstorm. Went to Queens with some family to eat and getting back was one hella trip. Never would I have imagined myself dropping $300 for a pair of jeans >___< but i did. Got a pair of Somet 003 size 28. It felt good the moment I got my ass into them.... about 5 minutes of struggling. Guy named Taka helped me try on numerous pairs. I wasn't drawn to the really rough jeans, like Skull/Samurai. They felt really really stiff. The Somets feel amazing. Stiff but with a tenderness to them. I think I'm going to do a photo-by-photo unboxing later. They meticulously packaged them for me. One thing I'm worried about is that their leather patch logo on the back is WHITE. I asked them to get me a new pair because there was faded blue on the pair that i tried on. When I soak... how am I supposed to keep that white leather clean?!

Also, How much do Somet's stain clothing? And for how long... I read that post above and it didn't occur to me that the dye would stain furniture and stuff. How many washes before the color sets and doesn't get onto white/light coloured stuff?

On a side note- should I stay here for footwear advice for these denims? I've been wearing Reebok Classics since the beginning of time but I don't think they match up too well with the way these Somet's look. I saw a pair of shoes, Stone Island, that were like WHOA but it cost $600..... http://www.stoneisland.co.uk/Latest-...05115s593v0029

I like my Adidas Sambas, they're a great slim shoe. If you have a larger budget you could try looking at Common Projects, can be had for under 200 at sales

5. skream

skream Member

I was in the same boat as you, so I went with the 33's in the Thin Finn and in the Slim Jim. Have you tried them on in the store? You should definitely be fine with 33's in the Slim jim after some hard wearing. The Thin Finns, with their elastic material will probably be fine out of the box.

I actually have not tried them on in the store. I'm not sure which stores sell nudies around my area. I'll check online later, but thanks for the info.

I suggest sizing down one, they fit true to waist though usually stretch 1-2".
    The thin finns have small percentage of stretch in them though so they are likely to stretch less.
    I'd still suggest sizing down one from your true waist though.

Thanks! I'll most likely get a size 33 for the thin finns since thats the only one I've found so far selling on this site.

6. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Also, How much do Somet's stain clothing? And for how long... I read that post above and it didn't occur to me that the dye would stain furniture and stuff. How many washes before the color sets and doesn't get onto white/light coloured stuff?

I soaked my pair of 008's once. Apart from some starch coming out during the soak, I didn't lost any indigo at all. Somet's seem very colorfast.

7. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

9. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

You can find Skulls at Selfedge and BiG.

www.selfedge.com
    www.blueingreensoho.com

Both ship international.

Yeah I know but neither have gray skulls, only black/indigo.

10. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Just wash them a dozen of times... Tadaa, grey Skulls :p

Maybe if you e-mail BiG they can make a special order for you?

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Looking at skulls/samurai's. I am looking for something with some thigh room (as my thighs are fairly big) and a slight taper.

I like this type of fit

What jeans are those in the picture? I like that fit on him.

If you want a slim fit but with roomier thighs and slight taper, try Warehouse Dubbleworks 660, Skull 5507, Smaurai S0500 and S0505 models. You may want to consider going up a size from your usual waist, to get that sagging fit.

I just got back from BiG. Got a pair of Somet 003 size 28. It felt good the moment I got my ass into them.... I wasn't drawn to the really rough jeans, like Skull/Samurai. One thing I'm worried about is that their leather patch logo on the back is WHITE.

Congrats on the Somets. Amazing jeans and a great way to get into raws. Pictures are very welcome here.
    The white patch will inevitably get stained, blue and brown from your belts. Unavoidable. Look at it as part of the jeans' character.

Somets are pretty colorfast. No blue hands, as opposed to some fast faders. No worries there.

Soon, you'll get a hankering for jeans with more texture (slub). It happened to me. But enjoy the Somets' amazing smooth pliable denim.

Soak those in warm or hot water before you start wearing them. You'll lose an inch in the leg and waist. Trust us on that.

Anywhere to get these other than directly via fabfour or proxy service? http://www.fabfour.co.jp/netshop/bab...se/BB041.html#

Going to guess 31 will fit me about right, not sure yet if I'll pull the trigger though.

Maybe if you e-mail BiG they can make a special order for you?

Agelus, as Mistral mentioned, email Gordon at BiG and see if he'll special order for you. He's offered that to me before with samurai. He may even be able to arrange a drop-ship direct to Korea.

12. bencho

bencho Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll get pics up when I can.
    Damn I wanted to keep that white!

Good to know!

Texture/slub - you mean the roughness of like Skull+Samurai?

Hmm I don't know if I want to lose inch on the waist.
    Also, I thought I was supposed to wear them and stack the knees to get the honeycombing for a while before any washing? Won't the warm/hot soak before wearing and any natural creases make it harder to form the fades later on? I'd like to keep this darker color longer instead of having it fade so soon.

13. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Hmm I don't know if I want to lose inch on the waist.
    Also, I thought I was supposed to wear them and stack the knees to get the honeycombing for a while before any washing? Won't the warm/hot soak before wearing and any natural creases make it harder to form the fades later on? I'd like to keep this darker color longer instead of having it fade so soon.

I find that after soaking my pair of 008's the fading/wear kinda accelerated. But it hasn't influenced forming natural creases and combs.

Warm/hot soak definately takes out that final bit of shrinkage, though it ain't much since Somets are sanforized.

14. bichimpaid

bichimpaid Member

I bought some RRL's about a year ago. When I bought them they were labeled slim straight but are slim boot. As many of you know the bootcut on the rrl slims is very minimal.

My question is, can I get these tailored to a straight leg w/o ruining the jeans?

What do I tell the tailor?

15. theom-

theom- Senior member