1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Espresso

Espresso Senior member

where can i buy cheap monday?

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Everywhere.

3. skream

skream Member

I'm looking for some nudie thin finn ecru embos or slim jim dry broken twills for my next pair cause I don't have any indigo colored jeans. Do you recommend that I size down? I usually wear a size 34 and I like my fits slim and not too baggy. I'm afraid that if I get a size 33 or 32 then I wont be able to close the button, haha

4. steezin

steezin Senior member

I'm looking for some nudie thin finn ecru embos or slim jim dry broken twills for my next pair cause I don't have any indigo colored jeans. Do you recommend that I size down? I usually wear a size 34 and I like my fits slim and not too baggy. I'm afraid that if I get a size 33 or 32 then I wont be able to close the button, haha

I suggest sizing down one, they fit true to waist though usually stretch 1-2".
    The thin finns have small percentage of stretch in them though so they are likely to stretch less.
    I'd still suggest sizing down one from your true waist though.

5. bencho

bencho Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine has talked me into redoing my jeans wardrobe. Before talking to him, the entire premium jeans idea was unknown to me. Now with some coaxing, I've decided to get some more advice on where to start acquiring+learning about raw/selvage jeans. I've learned a little about finding measurements, and what raw/selvage is.

I currently have more than a dozen pairs. The majority of which are from Express, one skinny from CK, and one from Giordano HK. I'm used to wearing a 30, low rise.... like four inches below my belly button. Just let it hang baggy and loose. Most are relaxed fit/bootcut. I do have some that are a little skinnier that just kind of sit on my waist but may still fall of if I don't tug them up a bit every once in a while.

What is a good jean I should start with? My friend has recommended me to go with either Somet 008 or APC Petit Standard. I'm visiting home in NYC tonight after work and plan to stop by BiG Saturday for some help and maybe pick up my first pair of real jeans.

Thanks in advance.

6. ysb

ysb Senior member

I was in the same boat as you, so I went with the 33's in the Thin Finn and in the Slim Jim. Have you tried them on in the store? You should definitely be fine with 33's in the Slim jim after some hard wearing. The Thin Finns, with their elastic material will probably be fine out of the box.

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

So I've had my New Standards since September and I'm loving them: I can never go back to cheap denim. I have become very fascinated by slub, so that is the key.

That's a really good place to be. Welcome to the addiction ;-)
    Try emailing Gordon at Big with this question. He's amazingly helpful and descriptive. Don't be afraid to spend and to experiment. Take chances - you'll be rewarded.

First - don't be afraid of real shrink-to-fit denim (as opposed to sanforized) that's where many of the best brands are, and the best textures, slubs and fades. In my direct experience, Pure Blue Japan, Momotaro, Flat Head, Samurai are all amazing stf denim with texture or slub.

If you want to stay safe for a while, Somet, KMW, Skull and Jean Shop and Rag & Bone are all top-tier sanforized jeans.

anyone know why APC jeans sometime wear to a yellowish tint?

There's a shit-ton of starch and sizing in those. If you didn't soak them when you got them, that starch has become a dirt magnet. This is acting like sandpaper to the denim fibers at a microscopic level. The starch is also decomposing, and will yellow over time too. This is why soaking = good, starch = bad for jeans.

I am new to this board... and have recently encountered a problem regarding denim-shopping...

i seem to have run out of affordable options for dark, skinny denim.

There's a whole world of jeans to explore. A good place to start is Blue in Green and SelfEdge websites. Gordon and Kiya are both highly informed and helpful.

Under 200 jeans: 3Sixteen, APC, Simon Miller, Dunderdon, Tellason, Crate. I'm not partial to Nudies.

where can i buy cheap monday?

Toby. ^^ (They're an affiliate)

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine has talked me into redoing my jeans wardrobe.

What is a good jean I should start with? My friend has recommended me to go with either Somet 008 or APC Petit Standard. I'm visiting home in NYC tonight after work and plan to stop by BiG for some help and maybe pick up my first pair of real jeans.

Thanks in advance.

Your friend is a good man. His advice is excellent. 3Sixteen may be another brand to explore, as would Simon Miller, Dunderdon, and those new jeans from EP and from Tellason also look good as far as non-SF typical brands go.

But nothing beats getting your hands on some real denim, comparing the quality, feeling the weave. Dont be afraid of shrink-to-fit either. It's more risk and effort, but that's where the best jeans are, usually.

Have fun at BiG. Go to the Self Edge store there off Delancey on Orchard (?) while in Soho. Also Jean Shop on W Broadway.

8. bencho

bencho Well-Known Member

Thanks! He's also got me into looking at other big names I guess; he threw out Evisu, Skull, Samurai, Naked&Famous but some of them are rather pricey. Should I go to BiG tomorrow and let the reps there size me up? Should I be looking for jeans that are tight and let them stretch out? Not sure how much APC/Somet will stretch. I think it's going to be pretty uncomfortable for me since I'm used to wearing relaxed jeans. Should I be looking to have that top button be tight? I wonder what I'm going to do with all my other jeans now [​IMG]

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Thanks! He's also got me into looking at other big names I guess; he threw out Evisu, Skull, Samurai, Naked&Famous but some of them are rather pricey. Should I go to BiG tomorrow and let the reps there size me up? Should I be looking for jeans that are tight and let them stretch out? Not sure how much APC/Somet will stretch. I think it's going to be pretty uncomfortable for me since I'm used to wearing relaxed jeans. Should I be looking to have that top button be tight? I wonder what I'm going to do with all my other jeans now [​IMG]

The brands I mentioned are all about 200 or less. Those other brands are pretty wicked good, but all +250.

I'd be prepared to spend 300 for a pair, because it usually pays off in many, many ways too subtle to explain here. Be prepared for some discomfort, if any, but that varies with the jeans. Some of my favorites were comfy right away. But you'll come to love that new feeling.

Yes to all your other questions. Get as much info as possible while at Big and SE in manhattan. You don't get much more direct than that ;-)

10. bencho

bencho Well-Known Member

The brands I mentioned are all about 200 or less. Those other brands are pretty wicked good, but all +250.

I'd be prepared to spend 300 for a pair, because it usually pays off in many, many ways too subtle to explain here. Be prepared for some discomfort, if any, but that varies with the jeans. Some of my favorites were comfy right away. But you'll come to love that new feeling.

Yes to all your other questions. Get as much info as possible while at Big and SE in manhattan. You don't get much more direct than that ;-)

I see. Should I start with one or two pairs?

11. ysb

ysb Senior member

Do coated jeans (Nudie Thin Finn Dry Black Coated, for example) need to be soaked before wearing? It seems it's recommended almost across the board here for raw denim, but what about these particular jean's 2% elastic material?

Thanks!

12. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I see. Should I start with one or two pairs?

If you value jeans in your wardrobe, and if you have the money to spend, get two pair. This will allow you to compare and contrast denim, fits, wear, shrink/stretch rates, and give you a much better appreciation of the fact that there's so much damn variety out there.

It's too easy to wear one pair, think that they're great, and then try another pair much later and only then realize what you were missing.

Gordon's (at BiG) insights are excellent. Why not try one slubby pair of STF and one sanforized. Try two different fits. Start off with good quality if you can afford it.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Do coated jeans (Nudie Thin Finn Dry Black Coated, for example) need to be soaked before wearing? It seems it's recommended almost across the board here for raw denim, but what about these particular jean's 2% elastic material?

Thanks!

The lycra won't be affected - it's not a dry-clean only material. Follow the care instructions with the jeans.

Soaking is just a kinder, gentler version of washing. You like to wash your clothes, right?

14. bencho

bencho Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll see what happens when I go down there... this weather permitting as it appears there may be a massive storm Saturday **** Went looking at 3Sixteen and found this:http://www.selfedge.com/2009/04/intr...nim-series.php Do slim jeans all look like that or is that sized down because.... it looks extremely .. feminine.. Also, what kind of shoes can I wear with raw/selvage jeans? I'm assuming I can't go rocking my white kicks anymore... [reeboks]

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Ok, I'll see what happens when I go down there... this weather permitting as it appears there may be a massive storm Saturday

You get 20 extra points if you get your jeans to shrink to fit in a blizzard.

it's the model and how they size the jeans on him. I actually think he's a pretty good model, but none of my jeans from there look like how he sports them.