I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. dunelly

dunelly Senior member

2. bichimpaid

bichimpaid Member

I assumed starch, but what steps should I take?

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Use starch

Fail. Starch will get you nothing. Try it. You'll see. Niagra spray starch. Call me after the second can.

A soak and then air dry is the only way to make the jeans feel stiffer. Creasing and fades has little if nothing to do with starch. It has everything to do with the denim and the tightness of the fit. If you have 501, you just gotta wear them regularly, and wash infrequently.

4. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Boil potatoes often? I've heard of people throwing jeans in after taking the potatoes out and having success with that (hot soak + starching). Or you could make your own starch spray formula (google for millions of recipes, generally it's just water and cornstarch in a pot over heat). Starches can leave an ugly precipitate that look like sweat stains (not attractive), so if you're going to spray starch, use it on the inside. Don't expect to get fresh-out-of-the-box stiffness though

5. bs3009a

bs3009a Active Member

So I've been jonesin' for a pair of black APC NS, however, they are out of stock at both context and the APC online store. Is there any acceptable jeans that are similar to them in both terms of fit and durability. The only condition is that they be raw, blacks. Price range from 100-200, generally the APC range.

Any Ideas?

6. Francis91

Francis91 Senior member

So I've been jonesin' for a pair of black APC NS, however, they are out of stock at both context and the APC online store. Is there any acceptable jeans that are similar to them in both terms of fit and durability. The only condition is that they be raw, blacks. Price range from 100-200, generally the APC range.

Any Ideas?

Try the new Epaulet jeans

7. bichimpaid

bichimpaid Member

I'll probably try some starch on the inside. I don't care about fades, just want these a little stiffer.

8. palma

palma Senior member

Which of the following jeans fit the closest to Levi's 511?

APC Petit Standard, New Cure or New Standard

Nudie Grim Trim or Slim Jim

My concern is the width of the thigh. 511 just do it for me, so I would not want anything slimmer. I have looked at retailers that put out full measurements, but they seem inconsistent. Anybody have better links for measurements? I also realize that thigh measurement can vary quite a bit depending on where you measure.

9. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Do black APCs fade well? I've heard only a few brands have black that fades well.

10. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

So I have a very sharp (thin) horizontal whisker fade on my left thigh about six or seven inches above my knee. It did not occur along any pre-existing crease, so I am wondering where it came from. It doesn't bother me, I just find it fascinating. So, any ideas what may have caused this?

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Boil potatoes often? I've heard of people throwing jeans in after taking the potatoes out and having success with that (hot soak + starching).

Fucking brilliant. Screw raw denim, I want stewing jeans.

So I've been jonesin' for a pair of black APC NS, however, they are out of stock. The only condition is that they be raw, blacks. Price range from 100-200, generally the APC range.

You can take a look at the 3Sixteens on SelfEdge.

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=482

So I have a very sharp (thin) horizontal whisker fade on my left thigh about six or seven inches above my knee. So, any ideas what may have caused this?

Could be caused when you cross your legs. Or that happened because you don't give the old boy enough shakes at the urinal before re-trousering.

12. Eccentric

Eccentric Senior member

Could be caused when you cross your legs. Or that happened because you don't give the old boy enough shakes at the urinal before re-trousering.

Perhaps leg crossing. I'm very careful around urinals: were old John Thomas an infant, he would have shaken baby syndrome.

13. shadrach

shadrach Senior member

what does it mean when denim is "rinsed"? It seems stiffer than regular washed denim, but softer than raw denim... so i guess this means it's in between... so i guess i answered my own question. But does rinsed denim fade like raw denim?

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I'll probably try some starch on the inside. I don't care about fades, just want these a little stiffer.

I've said my piece about that...

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Perhaps leg crossing. I'm very careful around urinals: were old John Thomas an infant, he would have shaken baby syndrome.

'tis true. I avoid commando urinal whiplash these days with a nappie ;-)