Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Foxtrot56

Foxtrot56 Senior member

So I have not seen this asked, jeans usually look bad on me because I have a big ass. For whatever reason, it won't go away. I was 5'9 140 and it was the same size, it is always bigger than it should be. So what do I do? I searched and never really saw this mentioned. Skinny jeans obviously do not fit well, infact why is there no ass measurment included for jeans? I will measure it later and post results.

Seriously though, any guys here who are in shape have a problem with this?

2. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

The rise is what determines the fit of the posterior. Just look for repro fit jeans

3. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

So I have not seen this asked, jeans usually look bad on me because I have a big ass. For whatever reason, it won't go away. I was 5'9 140 and it was the same size, it is always bigger than it should be. So what do I do? I searched and never really saw this mentioned. Skinny jeans obviously do not fit well, infact why is there no ass measurment included for jeans? I will measure it later and post results.

Seriously though, any guys here who are in shape have a problem with this?

1stly, are you more concerned on the look or the fit? if fit, then KitAkira is right. look for repros__ '47 cut for comfortable and roomier thighs and '66s for slmmer fit. the "V" shape block [at the back] are designed for ample trunk space.

if you're trying to de-empashize the posterior then avoid ultra slim/skinny fits :: lowrise will seemingly cut your butt size in half [flatter] :: bootcuts will balance your bottom half silhouette :: try to avoid "washes" that have the butt area faded or look worn :: choose back pockets that are proportionally sized and spaced. small pockets and/or widely spaced will make your rump look like bigger lump [​IMG]

4. seany

seany Senior member

Anyone know how to make like homemade starch for jeans or something ?

I have the spray bottle..........step #1 lol

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Anyone know how to make like homemade starch for jeans or something ?

I have the spray bottle..........step #1 lol

niagra brand spray starch. supermarket.

But honestly, starch won't make a difference. I tried in my early days. The fit has everything to do with it. The jeans will naturally crease up in tighter areas that see the most bending.

Good denim really wants to be worn soft. I've read it's also much healthier for it. You'll get excellent fades wearing them straight out of the wash. Just wear them a lot and don't wash too often. Creases will form.

6. seany

seany Senior member

I have creases and fades slowly coming in, but you def right.

I have heard strach can ruin jeans over a period of time.

7. mglev1n

mglev1n New Member

Quick newbie question about soaking/washing/fading (Levi's 501 STF - my 1st raw pair of jeans)

Is the initial "stiffness" of the jeans what allows whiskering and honeycombs to form, or is it simply the loss of indigo over the course of wearing or a combination of the two?

I hot soaked in the tub and then wore the jeans to dry, but they didn't shrink enough. I then washed them in the washing machine on hot with no detergent and then put them in the dryer to shrink them further. They didn't really lose much indigo in the washer/dryer, but they are much less "stiff" then they were after the initial hot soak (they no longer hold their shape). They are cheap enough that I can just buy another pair if they aren't going to come out decently.

8. ersatzmoe

ersatzmoe Senior member

Hey trolls,

No need to crucify me, cause I did a search and didn't find the answer.

What effect will snow (mostly flurries) have on my dry denim. Same as a light rain?

Will there by streaking?

I'm asking for my MWoC jeans that are about to storm the Canadian winter.

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Quick newbie question about soaking/washing/fading (Levi's 501 STF - my 1st raw pair of jeans)

Is the initial "stiffness" of the jeans what allows whiskering and honeycombs to form, or is it simply the loss of indigo over the course of wearing or a combination of the two?

If you soak them and air dry, they'll feel stiff again, but really, a loose fit won't crease much. See my post above re: starch.

Hey trolls,
    What effect will snow (mostly flurries) have on my dry denim. Same as a light rain?
    Will there by streaking?

Did you soak your jeans? Did they melt then?

Seriously. Think through this...

I wear my jeans in the rain all the time and they love it like a water spaniel. It's a great way to get them broken in and comfy too, but no, there's no worries about any indigo loss or damage other than normal wear and soaking would cause.

10. Foxtrot56

Foxtrot56 Senior member

1stly, are you more concerned on the look or the fit? if fit, then KitAkira is right. look for repros__ '47 cut for comfortable and roomier thighs and '66s for slmmer fit. the "V" shape block [at the back] are designed for ample trunk space.

if you're trying to de-empashize the posterior then avoid ultra slim/skinny fits :: lowrise will seemingly cut your butt size in half [flatter] :: bootcuts will balance your bottom half silhouette :: try to avoid "washes" that have the butt area faded or look worn :: choose back pockets that are proportionally sized and spaced. small pockets and/or widely spaced will make your rump look like bigger lump [​IMG]

I have been looking around, but what is 47 and 66s?

11. connor

connor Senior member

I have been looking around, but what is 47 and 66s?

the way the 501 was cut in 1947 and in 1966

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Hey trolls, No need to crucify me, cause I did a search and didn't find the answer. What effect will snow (mostly flurries) have on my dry denim. Same as a light rain? Will there by streaking? I'm asking for my MWoC jeans that are about to storm the Canadian winter.
    To get super technical, depends on the snow. Wet snow will melt like rain, dry snow will bounce off. Unless you're sitting out there for hours though, it isn't going to have any effect on the jeans (and nor is rain for the most part, at most it'll get rid of some excess indigo and make it a bit easier for color transfer but it won't really have an effect on the jeans in the long run)
    Ding ding ding ding ding! A '47 cut is the more common "repro" fit, full legs. The '66 is a bit more fitted through the legs.

13. dunelly

dunelly Senior member

What's the best raw jeans that fit like the levis 511 but w/an inch more rise?
    Under $100.
    I don't mind hitting ebay for them.

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

'47: fuller thigh, taper. '66: early version of 'slim fit' straight leg. Still a fuller cut than modern 'slim'.

15. bichimpaid

bichimpaid Member

I searched for this and couldnt really find what I was looking for...

I have a pair of 1947 levis that I used to love. I probably wore them w/o washing for 3 or 4 months, they got a little nasty so I got them dry cleaned. (It was a cheap place and I think they may have just washed them because the fit was entirely different. Not a big deal though... The real thing that bothers me is the fact that they are as rigid as they used to be. Is there anyway to get this back? They werent like new raw denim rigid by any means but now they are just flacid.