1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. DLester

DLester Senior member

Thanks y'all. Spurr greys pipes are inbound. Let's see how they turn out.

Grey=Spurr.
    Rag & Bone used to have good greys, Dior had good greys, N&F has/had ok greys, NDG had decent greys.

+1, I think the spurr pipe leg is a really nice grey color and the fit is spot on. I just received some grey lova's i purchased on gilt last week and am very happy with the color and fit, though I'm not sure where you can find them.

2. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

hi i just received some barely worn apcs used. do i need to soak them (cold or hot)? how long to soak and do i need soap/detergent?

thks

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

hi i just received some barely worn apcs used. do i need to soak them (cold or hot)? how long to soak and do i need soap/detergent?

thks

it is a good idea to wash jeans you obtain from strangers before wearing them, because the stranger may have a personal situation that you don't want.

there are stories . . .

4. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

^^@ prongxs

Totally up to you

Hot soak if they're stretched out too much
    Cold soak if they're too dirty

Time: 45mins to 1hr is good - no soap

Otherwise, just wear them.

5. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

it is a good idea to wash jeans you obtain from strangers before wearing them, because the stranger may have a personal situation that you don't want.

there are stories . . .

^^@ prongxs

Totally up to you

Hot soak if they're stretched out too much
    Cold soak if they're too dirty

Time: 45mins to 1hr is good - no soap

Otherwise, just wear them.

hahaa thks guys. will hot soak.

6. Foxtrot56

Foxtrot56 Senior member

Tried on some jeans today, too tight? I know they are too short but I think they feel a little too tight and my ass and thighs are too big for them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mjo317

mjo317 Senior member

any suggestions for nice grey denim sub $200 with apc ns fit?

8. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Thanks for the info. You mention APC, which I know is a popular brand on this forum and looks like it has a nice wash, but those are raw jeans correct? Aren't those designed to fade, or can I just wash it right away and treat it like a pair of preshrunk jeans?

They are raw jeans, unless you get one of the washes. Try www.needsupply.com for a pretty nice price for first-time buyers. They have all the data on them. Or try www.contextclothing.com. Great guys and one of my favorite places online.

All jeans fade. It's recommended to only soak these and hang-dry them if you want to prolong the dark indigo.

thks

It's recommended to always hot soak any raw jeans, for a multitude of reasons, most importantly, it takes care of any shrinkage (there's always some), and is actually good for the jeans, and you.

Tried on some jeans today, too tight? I know they are too short but I think they feel a little too tight and my ass and thighs are too big for them.
    ]

I hate popups with hosted photos. You can copy the url of the photo and paste it into the dialogue box that opens when you click on the little yellow picture frame in the tools bar when you're posting a reply here. It's easy. Make sure you re-size the pictures to a 'large' or 'medium' format if you post them this way.

Whose jeans? Those don't look bad, or too tight, and the length looks okay if you aren't planning to stack them (that fit doesn't seem to be inclined to be good for stacking).

Not knowing the brand, we can't advise if those will shrink any more, or how much they'll stretch.

9. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

mlyn if you're getting popups, what browser are you using? latest version of firefox works fine at blocking the crap from imageshack.

Also I'll just say that if you want to retain indigo (meaning no fades) you might want to ignore a soak. Took forever before my Skulls, which tend to be quick on fading, got much in fades with no soak. In contrast, my new Skulls with a soak are already getting fades in creases after less than a week. Just remember that some denim you HAVE to soak before wearing though.

10. Nananine

Nananine Senior member

Spilled soy sauce on my somet 008s last night. I rubbed the area down with a wet cloth, but now the area seems slightly discolored and papery. There's also still some slight traces of the sauce on the inside of the denim. Any advice? They're about 8 months, non-washed.

11. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

If clothes get dirty you should wash them. If you really don't want to do that you can always dry clean.

12. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

mlyn if you're getting popups, what browser are you using? latest version of firefox works fine at blocking the crap from imageshack.

Also I'll just say that if you want to retain indigo (meaning no fades) you might want to ignore a soak. Took forever before my Skulls, which tend to be quick on fading, got much in fades with no soak. In contrast, my new Skulls with a soak are already getting fades in creases after less than a week. Just remember that some denim you HAVE to soak before wearing though.

Ahh...been hearing good things abt. firefox. Thanks for the tip. I'm still using Internet Explorer.

I saw the same thing with my skulls too. They were a struggle for weeks, then once I washed, they suddenly became different (better in my eyes). I think though that the agitation from washing and drying does more to expedite fades than a soak.

I would think that a soak (with APC) would be ideal, since it'll remove much of the heavy starch which can add to accellerating fading.

13. Jonah

Jonah Senior member

1. Does anyone know if the Made in Japan (MIJ) Dior raw jeans in 21cm are selvage or not?

I am only aware that there is a silver selvage version of MIJ raw's, but are the regular ones red selvage or non selvage.

2. I tried on a pair of MIJ raw's the other day, sized down 2.5 to a 30. The waist was tight but managed to clasp it however there was some crazy mooseknuckle action going on. My question is should I size up and go for a 31 to avoid the mooseknuckle but letting the jean sit lower or will the size 30 right itself after a number of wears (become softer)?

14. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

1. Does anyone know if the Made in Japan (MIJ) Dior raw jeans in 21cm are selvage or not? I am only aware that there is a silver selvage version of MIJ raw's, but are the regular ones red selvage or non selvage. 2. I tried on a pair of MIJ raw's the other day, sized down 2.5 to a 30. The waist was tight but managed to clasp it however there was some crazy mooseknuckle action going on. My question is should I size up and go for a 31 to avoid the mooseknuckle but letting the jean sit lower or will the size 30 right itself after a number of wears (become softer)?
    DH jeans are not normally selvedge. However, there are selvedge models that exist. 21cm is the cut, not the model. It'd be like saying if a BoO shirt is made of Sea Island Cotton or not DH shouldn't give you any problems with a tight crotch, they have a loose top block (especially on the 21cm) with a relatively high rise. Either you're pulling the jeans up too high or you're not fitting them right (or, they could just be the wrong cut for you)

15. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

So just making sure, I can buy this, wash it right away (I live in a dorm, so no where to soak), just wear them like normal and they'll fit like normal and remain a constant color?