I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

i need a new jean.
    ive tried on KMW rockers and 1980, didnt quite like the fit on either. love the quality and construction.
    my men without country had to be returned, and my size wasnt available. loved the fit.

what is a comparable jean? waiting to see the new andewhall pics, but im not sure if im sold on new construction.

2. Veggie

Veggie Well-Known Member

Is it ok to use a dryer right after soaking?

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Thank you for the reply first off. Yeah, they're different, but whats wrong with that [​IMG] I haven't actually had a chance to try any pairs on, just looking online so far. Ok, but what is different? I mean can you try and describe what you can please? I seem to talk to two different groups of people, people who think Japanese is indeed much better, and then another group that thinks they're not better, just different, in look and style.
    Well do the people you talk to actually know their shit? Were the denim comes from generally doesn't matter, you can get high-quality from a second world country just as you can get low-quality from a first. The only reputable American mill is Cone White Oak and that's as good as any Japanese denim. Cone, however, doesn't source to a ton of companies and tends to be a lot more traditional with their denim. Japanese mills such as Kaihara, Kurabo, etc., etc. work more closely with the brands that produce the jeans and therefore the denim is more specialized (slub, construction, materials, dye, weight, etc.).
    Depending on the jeans, they can turn your dryer blue. Other than that, shouldn't really matter (the die-hards would advise not doing this since you'll lose some color but the amount of color lost is pretty much negligible). They will shrink up a bit more though (assuming you use heat rather than just air fluff)

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

^ Kit, you da man. You need to compile this stuff.

In my experience, sure. yes.

Here's what I'd recommend (learned via experience):

let the jeans hang-dry until they're slightly damp (definitely not dripping)- it just expedites the process and they spend less time in the dryer getting tumbled/thrashed.

Turn inside out. Do not dry with other items. Depending on the jeans, you will get from very little to a lot of indigo on the inside of the dryer and probably marks on the inside of the jeans. These will eventiually come off the jeans, and are not permanent, but may seem so.

If you want as much shrink as possible, use high heat and full duration. if not, use a cooler setting and remove early. Be prepared for the jeans to develop roping on the seams if you use high heat. Roping is what you see on pre-washed jeans like Levis. Where the seams start to pucker from shrink.

After drying, you may want to tumble an old, used towel in the dryer to get off any indigo left on the dryer barrel.

Creases and whatnot will come out with a few wears.

5. Veggie

Veggie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info kit&mlyn appreciate it, I'm guessing hair dryer is essentially the same thing but takes longer?

6. Gayestmanalive

Gayestmanalive Active Member

7. KitAkira

I've seen and handled both American and Japanese denim and in terms of "quality" they're indistinguishable. That being said, the most experimental Cone denim I've seen is the coated denim used by 3Sixteen whereas Japanese mills constantly push the limits (persimmon-dyeing, massive weights, colored weft, rht/lht/broken twill, sugarcane fibres woven into the denim, etc.). If you're looking into just a plain pair of jeans, don't worry about whether the denim comes from Japan or America, worry about the jeans themselves

8. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I see.
    I've just been reading articles on various related denim websites, people in other forums, I also talked to one person that works in the industry.

Stick around. This is one of the only Forums where you get consistently good intelligent advice without getting flamed half the time. And the ratio of good dudes to asshole idiots is pretty favorable.

9. Gayestmanalive

Gayestmanalive Active Member

haha

Good to know.
    I'll do that.
    Thanks

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I'm kind of confused about what brand/type of jeans I should be looking for. I'm looking for straight, clean looking, slim, dark wash jeans that will stay a constant color throughout (ie. no fades.) Should I get preshrunk, raw, or sanforized jeans? Any specific brands?

11. KitAkira

I'm kind of confused about what brand/type of jeans I should be looking for. I'm looking for straight, clean looking, slim, dark wash jeans that will stay a constant color throughout (ie. no fades.) Should I get preshrunk, raw, or sanforized jeans? Any specific brands?
    You aren't looking for raw. Levis has a lot to choose from in washes, not really sure what others are out there.

12. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I actually have two pairs of Levi 514, but there aren't any other dark washes that I like, and two pairs of jeans isn't really enough.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

All jeans will inevitably fade, but there are ways to keep them dark for longer, which you can ask about.

I'd look for brands that offer a dark indigo that also are well known for fading slowly. I've found that Kicking Mule, Somet, APC, Jean Shop are all relatively slow fading jeans. Look for smoother denim, and I've found sanforized tends to fade slower than slubbier STF or prewashed denim.

All are well known for their slim straight fits. $$ varies, but the higher the price, usually the better the indigo.

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Well do the people you talk to actually know their shit?

To your point, this is the ignorant hype-shit I came across on a search for something else. I doubt I would have bought into this article's ill-informed bullshit even if I was a denim newbie...

I sense this was written by a young woman who takes her writing cues from Cosmo.

15. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

All jeans will inevitably fade, but there are ways to keep them dark for longer, which you can ask about. I'd look for brands that offer a dark indigo that also are well known for fading slowly. I've found that Kicking Mule, Somet, APC, Jean Shop are all relatively slow fading jeans. Look for smoother denim, and I've found sanforized tends to fade slower than slubbier STF or prewashed denim. All are well known for their slim straight fits. $$ varies, but the higher the price, usually the better the indigo.
    Thanks for the info. You mention APC, which I know is a popular brand on this forum and looks like it has a nice wash, but those are raw jeans correct? Aren't those designed to fade, or can I just wash it right away and treat it like a pair of preshrunk jeans?