Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. DLester

DLester Senior member

Hi, I am here in noob-land because I would like suggestions for grey jeans. Slim straight leg, no tacky embellishment. "Interesting" looking denim. Thks in advance.

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I mean, the Evisu INT jeans still say they're made with denim and such from Japan... it's just that the actual construction is done in Macau. The way you said it makes it sound like they're almost totally unconnected and unrelated, outside of brand name.

As far as I've read, the MIJ are entirely different in cut, styling and details, with the lot 1 Japanese denim, and they're entirely made in Japan. The gullwing option is hand painted. It's more of a return-to-tradition, exclusive limited-edition house brand compared to their popular more affordable stuff.

Kinda like Woolrich Woolen Mills vs. Woolrich.

3. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Grey=Spurr.

Rag & Bone used to have good greys, Dior had good greys, N&F has/had ok greys, NDG had decent greys.

4. SLeiber32

SLeiber32 Senior member

Looking to grab my first pair of raw denim and need some help. My budget is modest so not looking for anything super high-end unless it can be found on deep sale.

I was mainly looking at APC Petit Standards or Nudie Slim Jims. I need something with a nice slim fit but not that painted on look, I'm not a female [​IMG].

I was looking for some suggestions on why I should grab one of those over the other or if there is something else that can be had for a similar price I should be looking at instead?

P.S. If anyone has either of those for sale APC sz27 or Nudies in sz28 let me know [​IMG]

5. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Grey=Spurr. Rag & Bone used to have good greys, Dior had good greys, N&F has/had ok greys, NDG had decent greys.
    W+H had a grey/charcoal. If you're cool enough to experiment (wink wink, nudge nudge) you could try Sunrise charcoal dyed jeans EDIT: speaking of.... http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=153566 for $125

6. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Between the two= go APC. Nudie denim is very suspect when it comes to durability- one doesn't need to go far to find crotch blowout horror stories.

7. djs488

djs488 Senior member

Grey=Spurr.

Rag & Bone used to have good greys, Dior had good greys, N&F has/had ok greys, NDG had decent greys.

+1, I think the spurr pipe leg is a really nice grey color and the fit is spot on. I just received some grey lova's i purchased on gilt last week and am very happy with the color and fit, though I'm not sure where you can find them.

8. connor

connor Senior member

Between the two= go APC. Nudie denim is very suspect when it comes to durability- one doesn't need to go far to find crotch blowout horror stories.

i'd say SJDJs have cooler denim than APCs. if they were a size up id wear them a lot more

mine actually are 28 if you'd like some fairly worn in ones.

9. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Damn those look good Agelus. Looks like the right solution to all your problems. From what I can tell, you'll get good shrink in all the necessary places on those (inseam, leg opening). Not loving the taper below the knee right now, but I'm sure a shrink then some stretch in the thigh will take care of that. That and once the denim settles and softens up, it'll probably drape so much better below the knee. My 660s looked the same when new, and now the taper is much more elegant with only two weeks wear.

You look like much less of a thug there too.

Mostly dry now, shrank just like I expected/wanted. Namely, still fits fine up top, but they lost some length (now I can single cuff) and below knee taper looks much nicer. I expect after a month they'll settle right, and of course I'll be wearing the hell out of them. Already they are easily the best jean I have ever worn as far as fit goes. Hope I can get another pair when it comes time in a year or two.

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Already they are easily the best jean I have ever worn as far as fit goes. Hope I can get another pair when it comes time in a year or two.

You found the Grail. Congrats. Why not buy a second pair now and rotate?

11. DLester

DLester Senior member

Grey=Spurr.

Thanks, I found these Spurr greys, they look great but OMFG an 8" rise is too low for me.

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...xx.esn_results

Good price though.

I will see if I can find some with a higher rise, like 10" or so.

12. whodini

13. HeresNothing

HeresNothing New Member

What are styles of jeans similar to levi 514(slim straight) that don't cost an arm and a leg? I'm a college student, and wear jeans a lot, and I have all three shades that I like in the 514s.

Thanks.

14. whodini

What do an arm and leg run these days?

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

PM me, I can proxy them for <50% retail [​IMG]