I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

id wear them if i wasnt looking to spend 300 on jeans

2. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

er.. going back a page.

What causes the manvag issue anyway. I assume this means crotch bulge. I have that problem on my 3sixteen slims.
    I got the right waist size... maybe the rise or cut is just too low and skinny for my build? I don't have muscular legs I'm on the average side.

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

id wear them if i wasnt looking to spend 300 on jeans

I would too.

Whodini, I know exactly what I'm getting when all the factors come together - denim quality, fit, manufacturing quality, details, uniqueness.

The dude only asked us to judge the quality of the jeans based on the pictures he posted, and to examine the stitching and details, and they look fine. Gap jeans aren't unique, the denim is okay, the fits aren't anything different. But for the price point, GAP are very good jeans.

My point about stitching is; beyond the denim quality and fit, there's no reason why $245 jeans should be busting their stitching in the first weeks. It totally peeves me, and it becomes something that dissapoints in an otherwise really good jean.

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

er.. going back a page.

What causes the manvag issue anyway. I assume this means crotch bulge. I have that problem on my 3sixteen slims.
    I got the right waist size... maybe the rise or cut is just too low and skinny for my build? I don't have muscular legs I'm on the average side.

The rise is too low for where you wear them on your hips.

5. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

Ok I tend to wear my jeans, 3 inches below belly button, somewhere near true waist.
    How low are you suppose to wear jeans with a 9 inch rise?

But it's not like I could wear them any lower because I tried pulling them lower but they always ride back up.

I guess I've been buying the wrong waist size for low rise jeans or somethin. Is 9 inch considered low-rise? Thing is I hate low-rise and most jeans are 9 inch rise or less these days

6. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

The dude only asked us to judge the quality of the jeans based on the pictures he posted, and to examine the stitching and details, and they look fine. Gap jeans aren't unique, the denim is okay, the fits aren't anything different. But for the price point, GAP are very good jeans.
    I thought the denim looked sweet and the jeans looked really sharp... [​IMG]

At $98, you're getting jeans that will probably last about as long as Levi's and will fit slightly better. It'd be a stretch to combine those two factors and call them "very good jeans."

My problem with those jeans, and their copycats, is that they oversell the selvage to con people into thinking they're paying more for a better pair. At that price, it'd be nice to know that they fit great and will last for more than a few wears; if the fabric is good, too, then that's just a bonus. For $90 there are other brands that do the job much better than Gap can without the "allure" of selvage.
    My point about stitching is; beyond the denim quality and fit, there's no reason why $245 jeans should be busting their stitching in the first weeks. It totally peeves me, and it becomes something that dissapoints in an otherwise really good jean.
    While keeping in mind that some brands are more notorious for their stitching issues than others, I'm not sold on the idea that cheap jeans will always be better made or last longer than their expensive counterparts. If anything, I'd argue that it varies from person to person. There are people like you that have one problem after another with crotch blowouts; then there are people like me who haven't had a single one.

7. scb

scb Senior member

which s5000vx to get: 17oz or 21oz?

8. theom-

theom- Senior member

To mlyngard and Whodini: First of all, I think we can agree that Gap jeans are well contructed in terms of details, stitching, etc. Plain and simple tailored belt loops and hidden rivets are something you don't find in <$100 pairs of jeans, you cannot argue with that. I would definitely say these are better contructed than your average pair of sub $100 jeans, but the denim does not compare with denim at higher price points. I dislike that Gap uses selvage as their selling point and that the denim is probably terrible, but I would say those are good jeans in general. But good also comes down to fit. Gap jeans don't have a great cut, So I would take APC over Gap, but if there was a pair of Gap that was the exact same cut as the APC NS and had the Gap construction, I would take Gap. Also, good contruction is to an certain extent. It isn't fair to say because Warehouse jeans are 3x the price of Gap jeans means the construction is 3x better. It doesn't really work in a directly proportional way like that. I've learned that just because things are selvage, doesn't mean the denim is of good quality. MY mom has a couple table cloths of selvage batik fabrics that we bought in Cambodia, but the cotton quality is terrible.

9. whodini

Plain and simple tailored belt loops and hidden rivets are something you don't find in <$100 pairs of jeans, you cannot argue with that. I would definitely say these are better contructed than your average pair of sub $100 jeans, but the denim does not compare with denim at higher price points.
    Not to nitpick but...

To my knowledge, hidden rivets are just a matter of the extra hardware, the extra time, and the right tools. It's a detail that denim nerds like to make a bigger deal about than is warranted.

Repro companies usually don't do tailored belt loops because, guess what, Levi's didn't. Like the rivets, it's another detail that matters more to the enthusiasts and designers themselves. Who knows who designed Gap's jeans or where they stole, er, got their inspiration from.

Actually, quite a few companies sub-$100 do tailored belt loops on jeans if you know where to look. [​IMG] The Kill City jeans I'm wearing retail for $90 and have them.

10. theom-

theom- Senior member

Not to nitpick but...

To my knowledge, hidden rivets are just a matter of the extra hardware, the extra time, and the right tools. It's a detail that denim nerds like to make a bigger deal about than is warranted.

Repro companies usually don't do tailored belt loops because, guess what, Levi's didn't. Like the rivets, it's another detail that matters more to the enthusiasts and designers themselves. Who knows who designed Gap's jeans or where they stole, er, got their inspiration from.

Actually, quite a few companies sub-$100 do tailored belt loops on jeans if you know where to look. [​IMG] The Kill City jeans I'm wearing retail for $90 and have them.

Which drives the cost up.

11. whodini

Not as much as you'd think.

12. seany

seany Senior member

I thought the denim looked sweet and the jeans looked really sharp... [​IMG]

At $98, you're getting jeans that will probably last about as long as Levi's and will fit slightly better. It'd be a stretch to combine those two factors and call them "very good jeans."

My problem with those jeans, and their copycats, is that they oversell the selvage to con people into thinking they're paying more for a better pair. At that price, it'd be nice to know that they fit great and will last for more than a few wears; if the fabric is good, too, then that's just a bonus. For $90 there are other brands that do the job much better than Gap can without the "allure" of selvage.
    While keeping in mind that some brands are more notorious for their stitching issues than others, I'm not sold on the idea that cheap jeans will always be better made or last longer than their expensive counterparts. If anything, I'd argue that it varies from person to person. There are people like you that have one problem after another with crotch blowouts; then there are people like me who haven't had a single one.

My g.f works at Gap, those jeans were never 98 dollars. They were at their highest 88 bucks, and now are around 60 in most stores. I got them for half off (44 dollars) considering she works for the company.

Anyway I just got my first "real" pair of of rookie denim two days ago. They are APC NS, and in my opinion I couldn't notice much of a difference construction wise, but the APCs are much stiffer and fit better IMO.

I have yet to get into the realms of higher quality denim. But I will hopefully get there soon after I wear my NS's and Gap Skinnys to death.

Thanks guys

btw; I heard you can bring your APC jeans into the store and get half off on a new pair. Is that still true ?

13. whodini

Nope.

14. theom-

theom- Senior member

I thought it was? I was jsut at the APC store Like 3 or 4 weeks ago and I asked about it and the SA said they were still doing the butler series.

15. whodini

I had read here before that they weren't doing it anymore. Perhaps only at certain stores.