I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

hi what does cashmere do in jeans? does that mean its suitable in winter or is it softer?

2. puritansnowman

puritansnowman Active Member

Hey all.

I'm between a rock and a hard place, denim wise. Also, disclaimer: my job puts my clumsy ass in a position where I spill toxic stuff on my pants too often to either not wash my jeans for ~6 months or be spending more than $150/pair, on the off chance I ruin the bastards (as I periodically do).

Generally I wear a 31x34 or 32x34 in Uniqlo S-001, and the fit of a brand new (i.e. fresh off the shelf unwashed) S-001 is pretty decent to me, if ever-so-slightly too slim (not enough to really matter though). I find these more noticably a little too slim fitting after a couple of washes.

I wear a 32x34 in Levis 514, but only because there's no 31x34 in the world seemingly. These, for me, are decent (and probably would be moreso if the denim was somewhat stiffer/heavier) but a little bit on the too baggy side.

So essentially I am on the hunt for something in between the two. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

3. Foxtrot56

Foxtrot56 Senior member

This might be a little out there, but why not wear some cheap jeans to work? Seriously, I don't think your boss is going to care that your jeans are not selvage denim japanese imports.

4. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Just get a pair of 501 STF or cheap gap ($100ish) or the like

5. puritansnowman

puritansnowman Active Member

This might be a little out there, but why not wear some cheap jeans to work? Seriously, I don't think your boss is going to care that your jeans are not selvage denim japanese imports.

My work schedule (life sciences lab) is erratic at best, so on a given day I might be at work 8AM-10:30 AM, then gone til 1PM or so, then working 1PM-3PM, then gone til 9PM, then doing a 9PM-4AM marathon.

I guess I should just probably start wearing a lab coat...

6. ryannn

ryannn Senior member

My work schedule (life sciences lab) is erratic at best, so on a given day I might be at work 8AM-10:30 AM, then gone til 1PM or so, then working 1PM-3PM, then gone til 9PM, then doing a 9PM-4AM marathon.

I guess I should just probably start wearing a lab coat...

Just get cheap Levi's STF 501 since you are getting yucky toxic chemicals on yourself, or if you are ballin' out of control get some LVC 501 1947 or Sugar Cane 1947 (or any other Japanese repro of the LVC 501 1947).

7. theom-

theom- Senior member

Anyone ever try using dye pens on coin pocket selvage. I hate that aspect of my KMWs.

8. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Anyone ever try using dye pens on coin pocket selvage. I hate that aspect of my KMWs.

Me too. Thought of that also. I can't imagine it'll hurt. Are you going to try it? If so, I'd love to hear/see your results.

9. theom-

theom- Senior member

Yeah when I go to pick up my jeans at rising sun, I'll stop by blick and pick up a couple dye pens. Should I just go with navy blue?

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Yeah when I go to pick up my jeans at rising sun, I'll stop by blick and pick up a couple dye pens. Should I just go with navy blue?

Unless they make a proper 'indigo' color. Not sure other than that...

11. theom-

theom- Senior member

I doubt there is a proper indigo color. I'll probably try a grey with blue.

12. bcx

bcx Senior member

I just used a dye marker on the stitching of my dyed APCs. I used black and now the stitching is kind of a greyish/gunmetal colour.

13. parc

parc Well-Known Member

I was looking at the new David Z x Polo colab pics on highsnobiety.com and saw that one of the guys modelling them had some denims that innards was a plaid frabic. Does any one know where I can get pair? [​IMG] Image source:www.highsnobiety.com

14. wcarson89

wcarson89 Senior member

I have a pair of boot cut Spurr's that I have worn for a month now and I love them. I have not soaked them and to my knowledge they are sanfordized. The inseam is too long (i cuff them about too inches and they still stack a bit) and I could wear them without a belt but they would sit lower than I prefer so I just leave a belt in...my question is:
    based on the above, do I stand to gain or lose anything from a hot soak or two?

15. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

I have a pair of boot cut Spurr's that I have worn for a month now and I love them. I have not soaked them and to my knowledge they are sanfordized. The inseam is too long (i cuff them about too inches and they still stack a bit) and I could wear them without a belt but they would sit lower than I prefer so I just leave a belt in...my question is:
    based on the above, do I stand to gain or lose anything from a hot soak or two?

I hot soaked my Spurr Pipe Legs and they were a little smaller afterwards, but they stretched back to presoak fit rather quickly. The inseam shrunk minimally, if at all. You might want to get yours hemmed after the soak. I would.