I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Samurai S510 24oz size 31

Did a hot soak (hot water from the tap + 2 pots of boiling water) for about 90 minutes.

When they dried, waist was about 15", inseam was 34.75" - not much shrinkage there, so decided to do a hot wash (hang dry).

Post soak/hot wash:

waist - 14.5"
    inseam - 34.75" (didn't shrink any more)

[​IMG]

Oddly, they seem to have shrunk a normal amount horizontally, but only about half what I'd expect vertically. I'd be interested to hear if others had a similar experience.

This is actually an easy one to answer from direct experience (which I just verified this week on two new pair - one pair were Sams): You need three hot soaks on some jeans.

I had both pair hemmed by BiG to shrink to 31" after full shrink. I scalding hot soak (always), and hang dry. After first hot soak, jeans were about 32". After they dried, second hot soak - inseam was stll about 32", but all lateral shrink was done.

Let dry again (even did 10 minute machine dry while they were still a little damp) and wore them each for two days.

Third hot soak/hang dry yesterday - immediately, both shrunk another inch to target 31". Am happy.

So, draw your own conclusions...mine are that the denim needs to stretch a bit and 'settle' by being worn before the fibers will finally knit into the fully-shrunk state they'll reach.

Try another hot soak.

Those look good on you. Where in Philly are ya, brother? I'm an east falls/g-town kid myself.

2. racetrack

racetrack Senior member

Some really noob questions, but searching a massive thread like this is a bitch. Going to get a pair of APC NS:

1) Presoak - Yes/No? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. (If it requires hulk strength to get the top button done before a soak... am I buying too small?)

2) "Size down X".. size down based on what?

Thanks.

3. dcg

dcg Senior member

This is actually an easy one to answer from direct experience (which I just verified this week on two new pair - one pair were Sams): You need three hot soaks on some jeans.

I had both pair hemmed by BiG to shrink to 31" after full shrink. I scalding hot soak (always), and hang dry. After first hot soak, jeans were about 32". After they dried, second hot soak - inseam was stll about 32", but all lateral shrink was done.

Let dry again (even did 10 minute machine dry while they were still a little damp) and wore them each for two days.

Third hot soak/hang dry yesterday - immediately, both shrunk another inch to target 31". Am happy.

So, draw your own conclusions...mine are that the denim needs to stretch a bit and 'settle' by being worn before the fibers will finally knit into the fully-shrunk state they'll reach.

Try another hot soak.

Those look good on you. Where in Philly are ya, brother? I'm an east falls/g-town kid myself.

Thanks man. Sounds like one more soak might be the way to go.

I was in King of Prussia; just recently moved to Nashville and haven't had the time to update my SF profile [​IMG]. May or may not be permanent; we'll see how it goes. Just in case I took a trip to NYC before I left and stocked up (grabbed some Flathead 3005 and their leather bracelet as well.)

I am in possession of way too much denim.

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Yeah the fit on the legs in great but those back pockets are killing me. I'm only 5'9" and those are pretty bad.

Don't sweat the pockets. They'll grow on you. I love 'em now.

The pockets on my rb23s do that and it's definitely how they're designed, fwiw

How many jeans are in your rotation, mlyngard? Every time I read this thread I hear about your personal experience with another pair! I'm jealous.

Fuck dude, was hoping I wouldn't be asked that question ;-(

I guess the better question would be 'how many damn jeans have you owned and sold in the quest for the perfect fit, which doesn't seem to be made for you'. jesus. I could've retired by now...

Top block and thighs great? Knee down sucks. Legs fit great? Rise too low. Great fit new? They stretch like a mofo. Size down? nope...

I could go on...

Oh, I had R&B too. Almost there. But not quite... Denim's too light. Should've downsized too.

hhenry i wear a size 25 apc new standard you should able to fit into a skull 5010 6x6 size 26 but you'll probably get bruises if you try to sag them right away.

i fit into size 27 5010 6x6 indigo skulls but first week was kind of tough.

Hehe. Yep. Best house of pain you can get in denim.

TTS. Heed my words. I'll be like a jewish grandma and keep reminding you I said that if you don't listen to me and end up dissapointed...(or falsetto)

5. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Some really noob questions, but searching a massive thread like this is a bitch. Going to get a pair of APC NS:

1) Presoak - Yes/No? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. (If it requires hulk strength to get the top button done before a soak... am I buying too small?)

2) "Size down 2".. size down based on (tagged size)?

Thanks.

Then seriously consider at the minumum one more to account for the stretch. Maybe two sizes down. 2 from tagged just makes up for the +2 vanity sizing. (i.e. a tagged 28 really measures 30 when new. A 28 will then stretch out another 2" when worn...so 2-3 from what would be your normal tagged size).

As for top button issue, soak will make waist maybe 1/3" tighter, but sweat it out. You may have possibly sized a little small, but better a little small on these than too big.

Thanks man. Sounds like one more soak might be the way to go.

I was in King of Prussia; just recently moved to Nashville and haven't had the time to update my SF profile [​IMG]. May or may not be permanent; we'll see how it goes. Just in case I took a trip to NYC before I left and stocked up (grabbed some Flathead 3005 and their leather bracelet as well.)

I am in possession of way too much denim

Man, I know very few philly kids who've transplanted to the South. Good luck with that. I'll fedex cheesesteaks and Yeungling. Don't go ballistic when they say 'pop' instead of soda either. They just don't know...

No shame in the denim part. It's all love here. Nobody else will get it, but we do.

6. splattered

splattered Senior member

Don't sweat the pockets. They'll grow on you. I love 'em now.

Fuck dude, was hoping I wouldn't be asked that question ;-(

I guess the better question would be 'how many damn jeans have you owned and sold in the quest for the perfect fit, which doesn't seem to be made for you'. jesus. I could've retired by now...

Top block and thighs great? Knee down sucks. Legs fit great? Rise too low. Great fit new? They stretch like a mofo. Size down? nope...

I could go on...

Oh, I had R&B too. Almost there. But not quite... Denim's too light. Should've downsized too.

Hehe. Yep. Best house of pain you can get in denim.

TTS. Heed my words. I'll be like a jewish grandma and keep reminding you I said that if you don't listen to me and end up dissapointed...(or falsetto)

Hahaha ok, so what's the answer to THAT question then... :p

Right now i'm only workin with 4 pairs of raw, and i havent even worn either pair of 3sixteen yet. Just my Nudie/APC. I'm still kinda workin on an overall reboot... slowly selling off crap i don't wear and bringin new stuff in. I think im OCD about it cause i'm not wearing any of my new stuff till i feel like i have enough new i like to break into regular rotation. haha ugh.

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hahaha ok, so what's the answer to THAT question then... :p

Right now i'm only workin with 4 pairs of raw, and i havent even worn either pair of 3sixteen yet. Just my Nudie/APC. I'm still kinda workin on an overall reboot... slowly selling off crap i don't wear and bringin new stuff in. I think im OCD about it cause i'm not wearing any of my new stuff till i feel like i have enough new i like to break into regular rotation. haha ugh.

OMG dude! This is seriously like a self-help group for denimheads, except we're encouraging it. It's like "wow, there really are other people like me out there...".

My goal is to find about three types of really good jeans - ones that are ideal for certain situations (i.e. - work, play, winter/summer). Then I want to thrash 'em. I've given up on finding the one ideal jeans for everything.

Then I want, like, three pair of each as backup, becuase

A) when I really do need more, they'll be out of stock/out of production= serious :-( They always, always discontinue everything I like. Always.
    B) I'm crazy and anal
    C) I like having multiples of things I like, because the quest is so hard to find something so simple like jeans. When I find it...
    D) even with the same jeans, each develops differently.

I'm also going through the shedding of the old, buying the new as my taste gets more developed. I don't care anymore about how much it costs.

So, maybe 8-10 pair in regular rotation, six new, four old. Some are verging on the 'to sell' list. Some are so new I've barely worn them...two more in my sights for next pay period (Skulls, and another). One pair I don't even have time for until this summer (12oz denim). I've already sold everythig I know I won't wear, and there are very few new jeans I want to buy that hit the 'magic numbers' I need that I haven't tried yet.

Help me. Gordon and Kiya probably think I'm nuts, but I hope they don't flag me.

8. dcg

dcg Senior member

Man, I know very few philly kids who've transplanted to the South. Good luck with that. I'll fedex cheesesteaks and Yeungling. Don't go ballistic when they say 'pop' instead of soda either. They just don't know... No shame in the denim part. It's all love here. Nobody else will get it, but we do.
    You're a good man! I'm going to try to pare the collection down to the 24 oz Sammies, S0110XJ Jins, S5000CX that I just ordered (don't really count because they're tan) Flat Head 3005, and 5EP LDB (Kinda small but I'm hanging on to them anyway). Though I am tempted to grab Some PBJ xx-009s (blue warm and weft). One nice thing about the move is that I can wear jeans to work every day at my job down here. This means selling: PBJ XX-005 (32) KMW AWA (30, this makes me sad but they're too small) KMW 2010 (31x34) SEXSC02 (32, 33) Nudie Masa (31) LVC 1947 501 (32x34) Flat Head 5100 (28 or 29, way too small) Dior MIJ 21cm (30, 31) Rag and Bone RB11? black (30?) 11 pairs. Even scarier when it's all typed out like that, and most are NWT. I need to stop being lazy and get this stuff up in B&S. I have a bad habit of buying jeans, deciding I don't like the fit, and then letting them sit in my closet. If anyone is interested in any of the above, send me a PM. Hopefully it'll motivate me [​IMG]

9. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

You're a good man!

This means selling:

PBJ XX-005 (32)
    KMW AWA (30, this makes me sad but they're too small)
    KMW 2010 (31x34)
    SEXSC02 (32, 33)
    Nudie Masa (31)
    LVC 1947 501 (32x34)
    Flat Head 5100 (28 or 29, way too small)
    Dior MIJ 21cm (30, 31)
    Rag and Bone RB11? black (30?)

11 pairs. Even scarier when it's all typed out like that, and most are NWT. I need to stop being lazy and get this stuff up in B&S. I have a bad habit of buying jeans, deciding I don't like the fit, and then letting them sit in my closet. If anyone is interested in any of the above, send me a PM. Hopefully it'll motivate me [​IMG]

Holy shit, dude.

Cred. Major cred. You have the illness.

Are the KMW AWA the recent Hand-Dye, or an earlier speacial they did?

You'll move those quick though. PM me if you want some tips I've found worked for me, but they're pretty basic selling pointers...

And fuckin' +1000 for being able to wear jeans to work. Welcome to the promised land. Of course, now I bitch that my 'dess' wardrobe is terrible, but what can ya do?

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Alright. You've encouraged me to come clean:

Recently sold/given away:
    (2) somet 003 (29/30)
    (1) Skull 5010
    (2) Jean Shop Rocker (30)
    (2) KMW 1950 (31)
    (1) KMW 1980 (30)
    (2) Crate Squire (FS now)
    (2) RB 15
    (1) Left Field Nat indigo (FS now)
    random 501s

Currently have
    (1) Jean Shop Rocker (28)
    (2) KMW 1980 (29)
    (1) KMW 1980 Hand Dye
    (1) Momotaro 0701
    (1) Evisu Lot No. 1
    (1) PBJ 005
    (1) Samurai Yamato 003
    (1) Warehouse 660
    (1) Dry Bones Red-D (on it's way - also doing a one-on-one competition against Mistral with these against his Somets- should be fun)
    In the lineup when my money tree gets busy...
    Flat Head
    Skull 5507

You're right. Listing it is scaryness.

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

Nice collection. What Flat Heads are you thinking of getting? KMW AWA They're amazing.

12. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

I second the awesomenes of those KMW AWA, mainly due to me having then.
    They are gorgeous, flashy and yet subtle.

13. dcg

dcg Senior member

I second the awesomenes of those KMW AWA, mainly due to me having then.
    They are gorgeous, flashy and yet subtle.

Have they stretched at all for you? Early word was that they stretched very, very little. If your experience has been different I may try to squeeze myself into them.

14. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Senior member

Wow. That AWA denim looks absurd. What's the texture like?

I was thinking about skinny jeans and how that cut is starting to fade in popularity, but what about black jeans? I kinda feel like a skinny black jean is pretty classic. I was thinking about getting 5010bks but I want to be able to wear them for years without being dated.

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

A good fit will never go out of style, and stop worrying what others think, dress for yourself