I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bcx

bcx Senior member

Typical dye immersion duration for garment dyeing is 2 hours minimum and no maximum. You want penetration of the fibers. You can only really control the color by the saturation or dilution of the dye bath. That's the trick. I'd say err on less dye, since you can always re-dye again.

Hmm.. LA Guy had mentioned to dye for just a few minutes. I guess his mix is super saturated. I'll go pick up supplies this week and give this a shot on the weekend.

2. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Senior member

IMO, your results should be photo-documented and belong in their own thread. Don't bury it here.

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hmm.. LA Guy had mentioned to dye for just a few minutes. I guess his mix is super saturated. I'll go pick up supplies this week and give this a shot on the weekend.

Duration is key for fiber penetration. Anything less will only dye the surface of the yarns and not allow any chemical reactions to fully take effect.

This article posted earlier really is helpful:

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/howtodye.shtml

IMO, your results should be photo-documented and belong in their own thread. Don't bury it here.

Word.

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I have a washing question...

I've been washing my jeans (RRL raw straight fit) in cold water, inside out every 2 months or so... Getting decent fading. This is what is recommended by the tags, etc. However, everyone here seems to recommend washing in hot water or "hot soaking." What are the advantages of hot water vs cold water, especially since manufacturers seem to push cold water.

Thx.

5. James_M

James_M Senior member

Just bought a pair of APC NS in a 32. They're a little tight as expected so my question is I want the waist and legs to stretch slightly and the inseam to shrink, but I don't want to have them hemmed yet in case they shrink up in the leg significantly.

Based on what I've read here it seems to be a conundrum since you wear them to stretch them then soak them to shrink inseam but the jeans return to original size. I'm not super concerned about the fading so I'm not hell bent on wearing them for year before soaking or washing. Basically I'd like to start wearing them comfortably as soon as possible.

What are the options? Thanks in advance.

6. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I have a washing question...

I've been washing my jeans (RRL raw straight fit) in cold water, inside out every 2 months or so... Getting decent fading. This is what is recommended by the tags, etc. However, everyone here seems to recommend washing in hot water or "hot soaking." What are the advantages of hot water vs cold water, especially since manufacturers seem to push cold water.

Thx.

The common internet think is: Cold water: -Less indigo loss than hot -Less shrinkage than hot Whether or not that's true or even measurable is debatable. People have done both but I personally haven't seen a real difference.

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Just bought a pair of APC NS in a 32. They're a little tight as expected so my question is I want the waist and legs to stretch slightly and the inseam to shrink, but I don't want to have them hemmed yet in case they shrink up in the leg significantly.

Based on what I've read here it seems to be a conundrum since you wear them to stretch them then soak them to shrink inseam but the jeans return to original size. I'm not super concerned about the fading so I'm not hell bent on wearing them for year before soaking or washing. Basically I'd like to start wearing them comfortably as soon as possible.

What are the options? Thanks in advance.

Soaking (hot soaking recommended) will result in taking care of the permanent shrink. Very little with sanforized jeans like APC but still some. Expect about 1/2" shrink in the inseam. Waist will shrink a little less.

Then hem them and wear them to stretch the waist and thighs. You may see up to 2" stretch in the waist and as much as 1" all round in the thighs. Future washing/soaking may return them somewhat close to the original post-soak size, but they'll stretch out again quickly.

The dedicated APC jeans thread should have more info.

8. James_M

James_M Senior member

Thanks very much for the response and pointing me towards the APC thread. I didn't realize one existed.

9. bcx

bcx Senior member

Beige, or the closest thing. essentially you are dying the fibers ecru, the color of unbleached cotton. That is what gives them the grey cast. I'd also suggest using the dylon cold water dyes or procion mx dyes. Don't use RIT. Dylon is probably the best bet since you don't have to mess with the soda ash when using procion dyes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the alkalinity of the soda ash reduce the indigo and make it water soluble again? Just something to think about.
    Well I can't find Dylon here and I bought some soda ash and dye from G&S. The guy there said I might turn my jeans beige but I ignored him. Lets hope it works.

10. utspg

utspg Active Member

I've seen a pair of 514's with a similar flaw. The small red tag didn't say Levi, it just had the "R" in a circle which follows the brand name. Weird, but not something I think should be worried over.

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but:

The blank red tab without the name is for trademark purposes. If they always printed the red tab with "Levi" on it, then other people could mimic them and put a red tab on their jeans. By occasionally making jeans without the actual word "Levi" on there (I've heard its 1 in 100), Levi can claim trademark on the actual red tab itself, thus preventing others from putting it on their jeans

11. theom-

theom- Senior member

I really need to say that anyone planning on dying their jeans with procion type dyes, do not use the soda ash fixer step! I have a feeling the alkalinity of the solution will have adverse effects on the indigo dye and may reduce the indigo and cause it to become water soluble again. I have no idea how to dye will turn out without the soda ash fixer.

This is one reason why I would stay away from using procion type dyes and resort to a natural dye. Procion dyes also do not fade at all because the dye is reacting with the fiber, not just sitting on top like indigo or other natural pigments. Even ecru colored cotton in jeans should fade because of sun exposure and wear. Procion type dyes should not.

12. bcx

bcx Senior member

Now I'm confused because all instructions I've read say use sodium carbonate (soda ash)

13. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

While my knowledge of dyes and dyeing is very limited, I would think that adding any mordants or the like would be unnecessary since all you're doing is an overdye/overcast so you don't really need nor want the dye to penetrate and form a strong bond. But I could be wrong, I've never experimented with dyeing (although I REALLY want to test some kakishibu "dyeing" sometime next year, need to find some good raw shirts and things to dye)

14. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

What jeans have a similar fit to Skull 5010? I think I'll be waiting for a restock to get my one size up, but just curious to see if there's anything interesting.

15. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

What jeans have a similar fit to Skull 5010? I think I'll be waiting for a restock to get my one size up, but just curious to see if there's anything interesting.

I'm after the same thing. At Gordon's advice, I'm looking at the new Samurai Yamoto 003 and the Warehouse Dubbleworks 660. Just ordered the D-works 660. I'll keep you posted.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...mart&Itemid=28

Another recommend is the Red-D by Dry Bones from SelfEdge. Also ordered those and will advise:

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=276

Also recommended by Kiya was the Flat Head SE05BSP - Slim Tapered (should be re-stock soon...):

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=338

Take note though that the size chart for the 660s is from the old batch (which they still have some of, but few if any in our size(s). The latest batch is considerably larger. I bought from the newer batch and downsized to a tagged 27 to get the 28 tagged dimensions shown on the chart. Ask for measurement verification.

I'm also considering the Skull 5507s as we discusssed. Waiting for re-stock those...