I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Anyone seen or have thoughts on the Sugar Cane 2009 Type II jeans? I tried some on at Self Edge the other day and they're a great cut. I've never owned a pair of Sugar Canes before and was wondering how the 12 oz denim would hold up. They're beautiful.

2. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

i was just reading a conversation about that on SuFu and dino might! was saying he sold that guy those jeans while he was working at BiG... i want to say they were Samurais.

yeah, looks like you're right. thanks again, mang.

3. theom-

theom- Senior member

how much length will i lose from creasing? I need my 1980s to be hemmed but I'm not sure how much.

4. bob_gnarly

bob_gnarly Senior member

hey just did a quick impulse buy on context nudie sale. picked up some slim jim's dry japan's can anyone tell me how much they should stretch? and shrink when i eventually wash? I am expecting them to have about the same stretch/shrinkage as apc's?

5. altemp

altemp Senior member

hey just did a quick impulse buy on context nudie sale. picked up some slim jim's dry japan's can anyone tell me how much they should stretch? and shrink when i eventually wash? I am expecting them to have about the same stretch/shrinkage as apc's?

From my experience they will stretch but not nearly as much as APC. I would expect 1-1.5 inches in the waist and just a little in other areas. They should shrink back to original size after a wash.

6. bob_gnarly

bob_gnarly Senior member

From my experience they will stretch but not nearly as much as APC. I would expect 1-1.5 inches in the waist and just a little in other areas. They should shrink back to original size after a wash.

thank you good sir

7. Leonard Leroy

Leonard Leroy Senior member

Jeans on lumberjack mccoy there are Samurai 710bks

8. A Dapper Fellow

A Dapper Fellow Well-Known Member

Hi.

When you get a jean hemmed by a tailor by let's say 1 inch, does the jean look exactly the same except one inch shorter? Does the bottom of the jean look the same?

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

You'll lose chainstitching if it waas there unless you go to one of the rare tailors that has a Union Special

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

my reply was a direct answer to the original question. since, he only specified the leg opening and did not mention the waist size. i have those jeans that i mentioned ['cept for 5000vx] and the measurements were based on actual.

the SD 105 W32 with opening=8.75. i did say PBJs are considered "straight" tho' both 005 W33 and 007 W32 got knee=8.25 and opening=8.5. the 5000bk W33 also at 8.5

edit: DJ 501xx W33 knee=8.75, opening=9.25

You're right, my response was little harsh. Sorry bro.

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

This is probably an Apples VS Oranges question but if you guys cuff denim, how do you do it? An extra long single fold cuff or like a shorter but rolled up cuff?

Whodini's right - depends on the inseam, and I peronally think one fold looks cleaner than more, regardless of how high the cuff. I still hem my jeans but allow for about 1" - 1.5" for cuff. I've always don it this way, but it does seem to be gettng more appreciation.

I like cuffing because it allows for the length to be varied, since it's not permanent, and you can compensate for the season and footwear.

Two guidelines I adhere to: if you cuff, dont allow too much of a break and/or stacking. It's a contradiction. Don't tack/sew down your cuffs (yeah, I've seen it...) - seems contrary to the point.

12. A Dapper Fellow

You'll lose chainstitching if it waas there unless you go to one of the rare tailors that has a Union Special
    I searched about chain stitching and chain stitching on jeans and I'm still not sure. You mean the thicker part at the end of the jeans? [​IMG] [​IMG] If you don't, I don't know what you mean. They are Topman jeans by the way.

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I searched about chain stitching and chain stitching on jeans and I'm still not sure.

You mean the thicker part at the end of the jeans? [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you don't, I don't know what you mean. They are Topman jeans by the way.

Chainstitch is the stitch used on the folded hem. Levis still uses it. It's also the stitch used on the inside of the waistband and inseam.

It's a better stitch to provide 'pull' at the seam/hem when the jeans shrink, which gives you that faded, 'puckered seam' look eventually as the jeans fade.

There are debates about if it's stronger than a lockstitch that any tailor can do with any machine.

Self Edge has a page on this:

http://www.selfedge.com/chainstitching.php

SelfEdge and Blue in Green will do a chainstich hem on any jean you send them (and not much more than a regular tailor). I personally think it's worth it.

14. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

You don't have to worry about chainstitching with topman jeans though

15. A Dapper Fellow

You don't have to worry about chainstitching with topman jeans though

OK then I'll get the longer length and have it hemmed one inch by a tailor in my city.