I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. connor

connor Senior member

If you keep wearing them a month they should be settled by then and if you don't like it by then you can fix it. Honestly I'd hem them as I don't think the stacking will be too flattering. You don't have to go too much but they could stand to lose a bit.

yeah you could definitely take out some of it but i wouldn't go no-break

2. markdjr

markdjr Member

Is there any selvedge jeans out there with a wider leg opening? Maybe like 17"

3. connor

connor Senior member

in what size?

4. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^^yeah, they're called bootcut selvedge, eg. SDA 105, DJ 501XX, etc. PBJ 005/007 and Samurai 5000vx/bk are considered straight but have 17" opening on tagged W33.

5. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

I'm looking for jeans that fit a *little* slimmer than new 501's (I suppose that'd be kind of like '47 501's?) with really streaky denim. Any recommendations

6. rts

rts Member

What can I do to get rid of my denim smelling? I have a pair of new standards, soaked last month and they're smelling again. I don't want to wash or soak them yet.

7. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

febreeze or put them in the freezer

8. connor

connor Senior member

I'm looking for jeans that fit a *little* slimmer than new 501's (I suppose that'd be kind of like '47 501's?) with really streaky denim. Any recommendations

hm idk of any streaky repro cuts or non-repro cuts that would fit like that

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

^^yeah, they're called bootcut selvedge, eg. SDA 105, DJ 501XX, etc. PBJ 005/007 and Samurai 5000vx/bk are considered straight but have 17" opening on tagged W33.
    005s are barely bootcut at all, mine have a 1/8 in difference between the knee and the hem

10. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I am tempted to ride it out another few weeks. I just measured and the 610lx's hem is .5" wider than my APC's, and I love the way those stack. That minute of a difference doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference, but then again the denim is a bit heavier.

.5" on any 'across' measurement can and usually will make a huge difference - especially on any dimension from the lower thigh down. Trust me on this. Don't take a .5" difference lightly. That's 1" in circumference. You'd notice an inch difference in your waist size, right? At the leg opening, 1" is major, akin to like 2" at the waist.

Many. That's an 8.5" across measurement. Any repro '501'-ish straight-leg cut will have this in a 33" waist. Look on Blue in Green/Self Edge at Samurai, Real Japan Blues 105s, Evisu lot 2, PBJ 008, Denime, Takumi, Sugar Cane (especially), Oni, and KMW 1950's has about a 8.5 leg opening. Make sure to take shrinkage into account though on the STF stuff.

IIIrd, you're usually right, but this statement is really wrong. Plus, the PBJ 005 might have an 8.5" leg opening, but not after soak. Those are a really slim cut. I have 'em. The 008s are a good call though. Just had a pair of 31w that had an 8.5 after soak.

See above.

hm idk of any streaky repro cuts or non-repro cuts that would fit like that

Kicking Mule 1980s and 1950's are pretty streaky, all things considered, the 1980 is contemp. cut, 1950 repro. If you wanna dish out $5 bills, the 1980 Hand-Dye is waaay streaky and gorgeous. You should also take a look at Rag & Bone RB15s - much of their denim is fairly streaky. Mine were. Dibadiba posted pics of the Andy Whall 'Streaky Grifters' which look sweet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t009Medium.jpg

11. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Thanks, connor and mlyngard.

My inspiration came from this. Can any of you tell what brand of denim it is?
    [​IMG]

12. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Is there any selvedge jeans out there with a wider leg opening. Maybe like 17"/
    IIIrd, you're usually right, but this statement is really wrong. Plus, the PBJ 005 might have an 8.5" leg opening, but not after soak. Those are a really slim cut. I have 'em. The 008s are a good call though. Just had a pair of 31w that had an 8.5 after soak
    005s are barely bootcut at all, mine have a 1/8 in difference between the knee and the hem
    my reply was a direct answer to the original question. since, he only specified the leg opening and did not mention the waist size. i have those jeans that i mentioned ['cept for 5000vx] and the measurements were based on actual.

the SD 105 W32 with opening=8.75. i did say PBJs are considered "straight" tho' both 005 W33 and 007 W32 got knee=8.25 and opening=8.5. the 5000bk W33 also at 8.5

edit: DJ 501xx W33 knee=8.75, opening=9.25

13. connor

connor Senior member

Thanks, connor and mlyngard.

My inspiration came from this. Can any of you tell what brand of denim it is?
    [​IMG]

i was just reading a conversation about that on SuFu and dino might! was saying he sold that guy those jeans while he was working at BiG... i want to say they were Samurais.

14. stylewithease

stylewithease Active Member

This is probably an Apples VS Oranges question but if you guys cuff denim, how do you do it? An extra long single fold cuff or like a shorter but rolled up cuff?

15. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

This is probably an Apples VS Oranges question but if you guys cuff denim, how do you do it? An extra long single fold cuff or like a shorter but rolled up cuff?
    Depends on how much inseam I have left. Ideally, I go for about 2" of cuffing.