Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

At first I thought the link was sluburbannightmare, what a pity

2. racetrack

racetrack Senior member

Anyone want to recommend some good denim that will prevent my nuts from freezing off this winter?

3. Ge Fuzz

Ge Fuzz Senior member

Anyone want to reccomond some good denim that will prevent my nuts from freezing off?

APCs...Buy a pair and then lose about 20lbs like I did and wear long johns underneath. Or Maybe some heavy ass 21oz Samurais?

4. breakz

breakz Senior member

Anyone want to recommend some good denim that will prevent my nuts from freezing off this winter?

How about the 21oz N&F denim?

5. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

24oz or bust, 21oz is way previous level

6. dcg

dcg Senior member

24oz or bust, 21oz is way previous level
    +100 [​IMG] Pics of my 24 oz. Sammies coming up hopefullly next week; I'm in the middle of moving and haven't had time to soak 'em.

7. millet

millet New Member

Just wondering if anyone is currently making bell bottoms that are tight in the waist/through the thigh and start to flare out into a bell at the hem. Not looking for bootcut jeans with a small flare (i.e. Levi's 507) but honest-to-god bell bottoms. My head is in 1970 right now and why shouldn't my jeans be, too. Oh and to be clear, I'm looking for mens jeans. I mean, I wish I could fit into something like this: http://www.tobi.com/product/10425-j-...ou-denim-flare but, uh, not a lot of room up there.

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Levi's Japan 646. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/sanshin/c/0000000428/ You're welcome [​IMG] By the way, these fit REALLY slim, so be careful. I had to size up on mine, 28 killed me. [​IMG] [​IMG] Flares are still very prominent in Japanese menswear. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. By the way, this thread will reach eight pages of people telling you you're insane.

9. Fingasmcgee

Fingasmcgee Member

I have some boot cut slim low rise, not quite raw parasuco's that I foolishly bought and would be willing to get rid of. They aren't quite bellbottoms but they kind of what you're looking for

Damn sorry I know you said you weren't looking for boot cuts, but I mean toi say these are quite slim in the thigh and flare out quite noticibly.

10. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

what brands carry a slim dry selvedge bootcut. i'm talking subtle bootcut not straight leg. i was thinking about getting imperial kings but even when you remove the backpocket stitching the huge back pockets on a small frame i don't know how to put it in words.

11. theom-

theom- Senior member

12. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

^

Studio D'Artisan D-1002 or SD105 have a hem about .25" larger than the knee.

there's a few more brands on BiG that have bootcut too

13. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Up at the top of the page where it lists the page numbers there's a link named "search this thread." Unsurprisingly, a number of results popped up.

14. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Just get some Levis 517s.

that's not what he asked for at all [​IMG]

15. trafficjam

trafficjam Senior member

-A sq yd of denim is weighed to determine its weight. You'll read people writing that a certain denim feels "light" for being xx oz. in the sense that although it is a heavier-weight denim, it is tightly woven and thus has some characteristics of denim of a lighter ounce.

-You should buy whatever weight you feel comfortable in. Some people like lighter denim (under 12oz) for the summer while preferring heavier denim (15oz+) in the winter; others just wear something in between year-round.

-Slub refers to many different properties and is completely subjective. The "slub" of a pair of Pure Blue Japans is different from the "slub" of a pair of Nudie Straight Sven Svenskas. Search this thread for "slub" and you'll find some photographic examples of what I mean. It could be that the denim appears streaky, is rough or bumpy to the touch, or even hairy. (http://www.suburbannightmare.com/pics/pbj/slubby_sm.jpg )

-Slub has nothing to do with how jeans will stretch or shrink. Again, "slub" doesn't refer to a specific quality (ie: like calling something "pretty") rather it is a comment on the denim lacking a kind of flat uniformity. It doesn't necessarily hinder or promote how the denim wears but slub can become more apparent over time.

-The only matrix here is the one you rent on DVD. Stiffness does not necessarily have to do with weight as much as it does the amount of starch used initially. Slub has nothing to do with stiffness.

All great information, thanks a lot. I was going through the rolls of denim that the tailor had available and, rather than comparing it to what I was wearing, I really had no idea what to look for. My main issue was not knowing specifically what makes denim denim, and there is precious little available on a cursory search of the internet. Hell, sites that specialize in preimum denim just mention weight and loom and that's about it. I'll probably get a pair knocked out based on some measurements (probably copying my Uniqlos) and see what the result is.