• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashunhor
Funny that you should mention the 3sixteens. I just picked up a pair yesterday hoping that they would fit the bill but they are pretty much the same as APC New Standards. Maybe I should try a larger size?

wear them in some? which part of the jean are you focusing on that isn't working with your current denim

ramp

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the sizing of Corpus jeans or how much they'll stretch? I'm looking at the Rye Slim in khaki, just not sure what size to get.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fashunhor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by connor
wear them in some? which part of the jean are you focusing on that isn't working with your current denim

I just got a pair of Thorogood x Epaulet boots. My main pair right now are APC NS which are slim and taper. I think tapered jeans look kind of odd with chunky workboots. So I am going for something a bit more relaxed with a wider leg opening. I don't want baggy just more straight. Ironheart 634s would be ideal but I don't have the cash right now.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashunhor
I just got a pair of Thorogood x Epaulet boots. My main pair right now are APC NS which are slim and taper. I think tapered jeans look kind of odd with chunky workboots. So I am going for something a bit more relaxed with a wider leg opening. I don't want baggy just more straight. Ironheart 634s would be ideal but I don't have the cash right now.

APC Hipsters work for me with boots, though they're a little lowrise compared to my 634s.

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you really dont have many options under 200 if those 3sixteens aren't working out for you. the SL isn't a tapered leg, though, are you thinking about the ST series?

fashunhor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by connor
you really dont have many options under 200 if those 3sixteens aren't working out for you. the SL isn't a tapered leg, though, are you thinking about the ST series?

I just checked to be sure. I definitely got the SL-100x and according to both my measurements and the measurements on Selfedge they do in fact taper slightly; about 1 inch. I really like the fit of the model on SE website. Maybe I sized down too much.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are the snaps for on PRPS jeans? What is their "purpose"? ha ha

acg2010

Reaction score
Nvm. They just didn't look right so I'm returning the jeans.

squeeze

Reaction score
Thanks whodini and breakz... I am going to buy some Uniqlo japanese denim... I'll be calling tomorrow to see if the slim fit is slim in the legs and relaxed up top, I got skinny legs but a big butt haha

trafficjam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trafficjam
Anyone have any experience with made to measure jeans? There are folks around here who do it pretty cheap, but I don't know anything about the quality of the denim they're using. They've got big rolls of various colors and, I guess, weights, lying around, but I don't really know what to look for. If I'm gonna get jeans made, what should I be looking for in material? Additionally, what sort of flourishes could be added in something like this? Is it kosher to bite the measurements of other jeans, or should I look at trying to get something cut more around me?
Re-askin' this because I still don't know. How does one determine the weight of denim when it's in fabric form? Does it have to be comparative, or do you have to lop off a yard and weigh it, or is there another method? What weight denim should I be even be looking for? I saw somewhere that jeans are usually 10-14 oz, but obviously some Japanese guys go up past 20 oz, but I assume the heavier stuff is harder to sew. Also, regarding slub, is there a method for measuring how 'slubby' denim is, like some kind of slub scale? How does slub affect the way denim wears, tailors, stretches, etc, in terms of weight? Like, is there a weight v. slub matrix to determine stiffness? Should I have put all these questions in list form?

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^no, i don't think it's necessary. prolly the reason why none picked up your question is, because it's like asking how to make a [good] watch. if you're asking cuz you want a [made to order] quality pair, then you should check out ["Ooe Yofukuten" and " Double Bolante" threads] @SuFu... but, it's gonna be expensive.

if you're angle is having good quality at minimum cost, that would be difficult. granted you got a reputable tailor [who specialize on jeans making], there's just so many things that could go wrong .... ei, unknown/untested fabrics, etc. that's a veritable "russian roulette". one thing really good about ready-to-wear, you try the product/brand right there... then you decide whether you like it, or you don't... plus, there are volumes of well documented evolution of particular jeans brand/make. you just got to read up and get savvy.

thomasec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomasec
Can someone recommend me a nice, dark, slim fit jean that will go well with lighter blue tops? Something like this but without those bleach stains.

asdfsdfd.png

Does APC make any non-stained jeans in this color?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trafficjam
Re-askin' this because I still don't know. How does one determine the weight of denim when it's in fabric form? Does it have to be comparative, or do you have to lop off a yard and weigh it, or is there another method? What weight denim should I be even be looking for? I saw somewhere that jeans are usually 10-14 oz, but obviously some Japanese guys go up past 20 oz, but I assume the heavier stuff is harder to sew. Also, regarding slub, is there a method for measuring how 'slubby' denim is, like some kind of slub scale? How does slub affect the way denim wears, tailors, stretches, etc, in terms of weight? Like, is there a weight v. slub matrix to determine stiffness? Should I have put all these questions in list form?

-A sq yd of denim is weighed to determine its weight. You'll read people writing that a certain denim feels "light" for being xx oz. in the sense that although it is a heavier-weight denim, it is tightly woven and thus has some characteristics of denim of a lighter ounce.

-You should buy whatever weight you feel comfortable in. Some people like lighter denim (under 12oz) for the summer while preferring heavier denim (15oz+) in the winter; others just wear something in between year-round.

-Slub refers to many different properties and is completely subjective. The "slub" of a pair of Pure Blue Japans is different from the "slub" of a pair of Nudie Straight Sven Svenskas. Search this thread for "slub" and you'll find some photographic examples of what I mean. It could be that the denim appears streaky, is rough or bumpy to the touch, or even hairy. (http://www.suburbannightmare.com/pics/pbj/slubby_sm.jpg )

-Slub has nothing to do with how jeans will stretch or shrink. Again, "slub" doesn't refer to a specific quality (ie: like calling something "pretty") rather it is a comment on the denim lacking a kind of flat uniformity. It doesn't necessarily hinder or promote how the denim wears but slub can become more apparent over time.

-The only matrix here is the one you rent on DVD. Stiffness does not necessarily have to do with weight as much as it does the amount of starch used initially. Slub has nothing to do with stiffness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads