I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. thomasec

thomasec Senior member

Hello everyone. I just purchased a pair of Tellason Jeans, my first pair of raw denim ever. I absolutely love the finish, details, and overall look, but I can't decide if I should go with a waist size of 30 or 31. The 31 is a bit loose around the waist, but the thighs fit perfect. I can squeeze into the 30's (which is what I currently have), but it's very, very uncomfortable to sit down, and I have to really strain to get even my cell phone out of my pocket. I can feel it really tugging against my ass when I go to button up the fly. They're stiff as a board, and I'm told they'll soften up, but I'm afraid that it will stay too snug around the thighs, even with a bit of softening up. Again, this is my first pair of raw jeans, and I want to make sure I'm going with the pair that fits best. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately the boutique I purchased them at in Chicago knew next to nothing about the Jeans (good buyers, bad sales people).

2. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

Go one size up.

3. heybigmoney

heybigmoney Member

Best true slim straight cut jean in the $150 price range? No slim tapered ala APC ns or N&F weird guy plz.

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

uhmmm hellooo?
    Julian has some good cuts and the denim is acceptable but if you're looking to get most for your denim buck then you should be looking at KMW.
    Best true slim straight cut jean in the $150 price range? No slim tapered ala APC ns or N&F weird guy plz.
    $150 puts you in either the Nudie Slim Jim or Crate range at retail or RRL Slim Boot/KMW/etc. at deep discount.

5. ulim

ulim Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I want to take the plunge and buy my first pair of premium denim (I wear mostly trousers or khakis). Would I be better off starting with a lower-tier pair (APC, N&F, Nudie, etc.) then graduate to the better stuff, or should I start with something like Iron Heart?

I see myself having a maximum of 2 jeans in my rotation.

6. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Hey guys,

I want to take the plunge and buy my first pair of premium denim (I wear mostly trousers or khakis). Would I be better off starting with a lower-tier pair (APC, N&F, Nudie, etc.) then graduate to the better stuff, or should I start with something like Iron Heart?

I see myself having a maximum of 2 jeans in my rotation.

theres nothing wrong with apcs, nudie or n&f

7. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

i recently purchased a pair of raw, unwashed, sugarcane 1947
    i warm soaked them while wearing them in the tub and they now fit well everywhere except the length. they supposedly came with a 36 inch inseam (didnt actually measure) and i've measured it at 33 1/2 post soak. would it be safe to hem them now, or will they likely shrink more after future soak, maybe even a wash? ( i usually wear jeans with an inseam from 30-32 inches)
    anyone with firsthand experience who can chime in?

thank you

8. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

I figured out whats wrong with my denim. My belt isnt wide enough. The belt loops is forcing the ass area to ride up, giving me a baggy ass that rides up. When I push my belt to the lower portion of the belt loops, it forces everything to go back to normal, giving my denim a regular appearance.

So is 1-3/4 good to fill up the belt loops of most denim or am I have to go to 2" for my belt width?

9. seany

seany Senior member

Whats the best place to find an assortment of raw/selvedge denim in NYC.

Diffrent brands, sizes, etc ?

Thanks in advance.

10. JRyder

JRyder Senior member

drafted into the oregon woods, an indentured serva
    Blue in Green in NYC

11. JRyder

JRyder Senior member

drafted into the oregon woods, an indentured serva
    Ulim, all those brands you mentioned make good jeans, there's nothing wrong with cutting your teeth on some less expensive denim before taking the plunge on a more expensive pair.
    Cheers

12. connor

connor Senior member

13. xperii

xperii Active Member

so im planning on replacing my rescues with another pair of denim next month on the 7th. I like my rescues but they are a tad bit to big, they fit okay with a belt, but for a reference i can stretch the waist enough to fit my fist down my pants (sorry for bad visual)..

I'm 6'1" and around 210 and if i had to guess im probably inbetween a 36 and 38 in the store bought levi's... my main question now is if i want to just rebuy a pair of rescues would it be safe to go with a 35, or would i regret that and wish i'd ordered a 34?

14. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

35 or 36... im similar measurements

15. xperii

xperii Active Member

yeah i was gonna say the ones i have now are 36's and its almost as if they've stretched to 39's lol