I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

Here is the definitive post on roping and chainstitching:
    Link!

Thanks man!
    Is there any particular function to roping other than looks? Or is this a vestige of old manufacturing techniques and now looks "cool"?

2. JOA

JOA Senior member

Buy from Cultizm.com...

3. Surfrider

Surfrider Senior member

2 questions: I tried on a new raw denim brand (made with japanese denim) called NAKED AND FAMOUS. How is that brand quality wise? They ran for around 130$.
    If you but searched, you'd find there is a lengthy thread discussing this brand wherein your questions would be answered.

4. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you but searched, you'd find there is a lengthy thread discussing this brand wherein your questions would be answered.

If you but searched, you'd find there is a lengthy thread discussing this poster wherein your advice is shown to have no effect.

5. shaftoe

shaftoe Senior member

Thanks man!
    Is there any particular function to roping other than looks? Or is this a vestige of old manufacturing techniques and now looks "cool"?

No "function" per se. But yeah, like Ande explains it has to do with the misalignment of the hem, its width, and the tension in the stitch. I assume that chainstitched Levis exhibited hem roping and so the look is considered desirable by repro manufacturers. It does look cool.

6. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

If you but searched, you'd find there is a lengthy thread discussing this poster wherein your advice is shown to have no effect.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

You mad aeglus, you mad brah?

[​IMG]

8. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

Who is the this guy?

9. JaPo

JaPo Senior member

Who is the this guy?

That, my friend, is esteemed racist and convicted murderer Duane Chapman, commonly known as 'Dog the Bounty Hunter'.

[​IMG]

Here's him apprehending a fucking whale who jumped bail.

10. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

where the fuck can i get that lobster shirt????

11. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

I just wanted to know who the fuck the GQ goon was.

12. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Looking to see if anyone has ventured into this territory, and might have a review, fit overview, pictures, etc. Measurements/sizing info would be helpful. These don't seem to appear on Levi's online store.

I can't handle the 12" rise on 501's now that I've ventured into KMW and Somet territory. And at $265, the jeans are only available in rinsed (shame). But still...

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...3639/13639.jsp

i tried them and sent them back. the wash is really nice but you gotta size way the hell up on them. i went TTS and could not even button (may be in the Jcrew thread but this was brought up and someone had a reason for why they size like this). i'd give them another shot at 125 but 265 is way too much. the rise is an issue for me, as well, and my ass looks horrible in levis, anyways.

13. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Thanks man! Is there any particular function to roping other than looks? Or is this a vestige of old manufacturing techniques and now looks "cool"?
    the features that were added onto the original design were there for a reason. chainstitching prevents stitches from unraveling altogether when thread breaks. they just don't have sewing kits lying around nor time to bother with such trivialities back in the day. as for roping, it maybe purely aesthetic, but for an obsessive-compulsive denimhead, it's like the entire universe is out of whack. to a point, it's relateable. i mean, the sight of some1 wearing a gorgeous pair of well-worn jeans with flat fresh hems is a bit disturbing. that's just reckless. imo, it's not about taste, style, or preference ... it's about consistency.

14. mtlandfamous

mtlandfamous Member

I am looking for a nice jean jacket. Levi's has a few but they are too tight/did not have my size. What's a good brand for them?

15. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Senior member

Also, here's what the website says (emphasis mine):

Yeah, you guys have made a real fucking breakthrough alright. I can't wait to see how "truthful" my jeans will be. [​IMG]

Still, they might be an interesting experiment, wearing them in situations where you'd not want to wear your expensive Japanese denim for fear of fucking it up (when painting, for example, or working on one's car/bike, butchering a large animal, et cetera). I feel towards these as I do Gap's raw denim, I think.

Interesting experiment? Wearing denim other than that which falls into the category of I really don't care what happens to itwhile doing potentially genuine dirty work--especially the three things you mentioned is not exactly the smartest thing to do anyway. Paint won't come off easily if it dries.

The jeans in the photo though does have a lot of vertical fading rather than horizontal. I will give you that. [​IMG]