I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. connor

connor Senior member

Stacks are often a little awkward at first, especially on jeans that aren't really tight around the calf, they tend to billow a little. But they will settle after some wear. If you want the stacks look, just bear with the settling in period. Otherwise, cuff or hem.

indeed. personally, i like to cuff. i can't deal with the settling period. bugs the shit out of me when my jeans dont sit well

2. SimonM

SimonM Active Member

I just bought these, good buy or overpay?

3. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

fine.

4. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

Do you guys wait until the first wash to hem?
    I personally prefer hemming all my jeans but worry about the shrinkage that happens after a few washes and every jean shrinks a little differently (even if sanforized)

5. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

They're jeans, so the break doesn't have to be perfect, but err on the long side. If you hem them, hem them a half inch longer than you want them to end up.

6. Gutman

Gutman Senior member

Does it really stretch a lot? If I wear a 30x30 on 511's, since it is slimmer, a 30 waist should suffice, even after the stretching right?

I am also breaking in my H&M Sliqs, I like the overall fit and look and I do not mind it stretching a bit but will stretch drastically that it would change the look of the jeans? Also, do you guys think I should get it hemmed or is it ok the way it is? I do not mind cuffing the pants at all but is it still too long after the cuff?
    [​IMG]

They look fine

7. aoluffy

aoluffy Senior member

do most of you wear belts with your jeans?

i NEVER wear a belt but now im getting a pair of denim which will stretch, i am considering belting up all the time. any suggestions on nice discreet belts?

also any tips on trying to keep waist the same in denim (not stretchin too much).

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

do most of you wear belts with your jeans?

i NEVER wear a belt but now im getting a pair of denim which will stretch, i am considering belting up all the time. any suggestions on nice discreet belts?

also any tips on trying to keep waist the same in denim (not stretchin too much).

www.leathergoodsconnection.com

9. aoluffy

aoluffy Senior member

Thanks.

Also has anyone got any pictures of roping? Thinking about chainstiching or not.

I really want stacking but I don't want a massivley long inseam so it looks stupid (on normal jeans, I usually go for 32'') so any FINAL advice, much appreciated.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

30x30 Levis 514s with no stacking, no cuffs, no breaks with a bigger hem (8-8.5") for bulkier shoes/boots. Does it look bad? Better with stacking or cuff? Better with more break? I guess it's good for a more relaxed look with a tee... [​IMG]

11. theom-

theom- Senior member

Thanks.

Also has anyone got any pictures of roping? Thinking about chainstiching or not.

I really want stacking but I don't want a massivley long inseam so it looks stupid (on normal jeans, I usually go for 32'') so any FINAL advice, much appreciated.

Chainstiching is severely overrated. I have seen many jeans that are straight stitched with awesome roping. It is more about how then hem is rolled and the hem width. Look at the outseam in the picture below. See how it is almost to the outside of the selvage? That is what creates roping.
    [​IMG]

12. Aparke612

Aparke612 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of buying some New Standards, but I am really worried about them being too tight because they are described as "skinny" and I dont want that. How do they actually fit?

13. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Chainstiching is severely overrated. I have seen many jeans that are straight stitched with awesome roping. It is more about how then hem is rolled and the hem width. Look at the outseam in the picture below. See how it is almost to the outside of the selvage? That is what creates roping.
    [​IMG]

having the right hem width and slanting the roll are a few of the factors that affect roping. you can also tweak/tighten the tension of the bottom thread of the sewing machine to create puckering.

14. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Senior member

On Sufu, I saw a guy who, on his pbj 007's had 1 red back pocket. it faded really nicely, and I wanted to know if that was just a special edition thing, or if I can buy the paint he used to paint one of my pockets. I tried asking there, but no one answered.

15. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

Still have no idea what roping and chainstitching are. Is there a general thread on threads (pun intended)?