1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. breakz

breakz Senior member

^that explains the need to express[​IMG]

Too true, reminds me of my brother [​IMG]

Oh, man, my Evisu Lot 1 are a repro cut, and have gobs of soul. I think in the 'fit' catagory, any fit that tries to be too many things loses soul. If a design takes a cut just to the edge of an idea (i.e. slim low-rise/vintage repro, heavyweight straight), without becoming extreme or silly, or landing in 'trendy and so-yesterday' territory, I appreciate it.

I think many of the heritage/repro cuts usually have 'it'. Especially the ones done by the truly devoted 'big daddys' (Studio D', Evisu, Sugar Cane, etc, Samurai...)

That's interesting. What about quality of denim? That was an issue you raised with the Gap jeans.

(btw, no troll--honest!)

2. whodini

whodini Senior member

That's interesting. What about quality of denim? That was an issue you raised with the Gap jeans.
    Can't you read? He said he thought Gap's denim looked sweet.

Sweet, bro. Sweet.

3. breakz

breakz Senior member

Can't you read? He said he thought Gap's denim looked sweet.

Sweet, bro. Sweet.

[​IMG]

No, I'm referring to the soul comment wrt denim. He mentioned repro fit, but not quality of denim.

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I had you pegged as "emo."

Still sort of do.

'Emo' was never my gig. Hence my use of 'sweet' ;-)

It was pretty righteous too.

(actually, I'd say GetSmart's themesong is pretty close to my style, on the most part, less the swing dancing...)

I think anyone devoted enough to make a really thoughtful vintage repro is gonna do it justice with some sweet, righteous denim, brah.

5. breakz

breakz Senior member

I think anyone devoted enough to make a really thoughtful vintage repro is gonna do it justice with some sweet, righteous denim, brah.

Thanks broski. Brews are on me when you're in my neck of the woods! [​IMG]

6. fuji

fuji Senior member

I think I posted this before, but I didn't get an answer. Tomorrow I'm buying a pair of dior grey coated 17cms. Normally I wear a 28 in Dior 19cm, but with these I am sizing down to 27 or 26. How much should I expect them to stretch?

7. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

1 from the experiences of most (although iirc washed DH jeans start out smaller than the raws?). I'd check the massive DH thread over on superdenim, they know their shit

8. golfham

golfham Senior member

Hey guys,

do you know where I can find the A.P.C. New Standard Jeans in Raw Indigo? I'm new to the denim scene, and am unsure of where to find them.

Also, how quickly do they "age" From what I understand, these selvage jeans look better as they age.

Thanks, guys.

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Um.... anywhere in the world?

Farinellis
    Context
    Brigade
    Detour
    Fourhorsemen
    Blackbird
    Blake
    Nordstroms
    Barneys
    and 50 billion other stores

10. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

Hey guys,

do you know where I can find the A.P.C. New Standard Jeans in Raw Indigo? I'm new to the denim scene, and am unsure of where to find them.

Also, how quickly do they "age" From what I understand, these selvage jeans look better as they age.

Thanks, guys.

Farinelli's is the place to buy A.P.C.'s!

11. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hey guys,

Thanks, guys.

You really, really want to buy your APC from www.needsupply.com (also an affiliate). You really should, especially if you're a first-time customer there. Trust me on this one. You'll be well taken care of as a first-time customer. In fact, email them to find out. They're good chappies.

Um.... anywhere in the world?

Farinellis
    Context
    Brigade
    Detour
    Fourhorsemen
    Blackbird
    Blake
    Nordstroms
    Barneys
    and 50 billion other stores

How can you diss the dudes at needsupply? I weep.

12. hbornste

hbornste Member

Hey Guys,

What jeans will fade similarly to APCs? While I realize that APC denim is of lesser quality than many other brands, I love the the unique, dark yellow-tinted fades it achieves over time. I guess I am looking for something similar but which won't start falling apart after a year. Thanks!

13. golfham

golfham Senior member

Thank You Joel and mlyngard. I'll check them both out.

14. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Well fuck you too then....
    My bad, I've never looked at their store before tbh

15. whodini

whodini Senior member

I know I'm the resident Farinelli's fanboy president (no offense to grundle, random, etc etc etc), but once needsupply chips in with some contests giving away free shit, throws parties giving away free shit, and bends over backwards to do business with us, then I'd start pimping them.

All of our affiliates are, for the most part, good people and genuinely want to be active with the forum. But really, you can't hate or bitch or do something emo like weep just because someone recommends going through one affiliate over another simply because more people have experience with them.

16. ramp

ramp Senior member

Hey, just got my first pair of unsanforized (and second pair of raw) jeans- PBJ XX-009. I'm having trouble figuring out how they're gonna look after soaking though and I'm a little worried about the top block. I've taken some (admittedly crappy) pictures of the problem. The fabric folds over at the very top of the thigh and the look of the backside isn't too great. But I don't know if that'll go away once they shrink and (hey, my socks are blue! Just noticed) aren't so stiff; they're like cardboard now. Enough rambling, here's the pics:
    [​IMG]

17. biggmike211

biggmike211 Member

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, so please be easy on the flaming. I was wondering what everyone's thought's were on the PRPS GTO denim. Do they run big? how is the fit? I know everyone is tending toward more slim fitting and straight jeans, but these do not do it for me. I have rather large thighs and I look really funny in them. I am just looking for some new denim to wear. I currently wear Diesel Zathans and some old pairs of Uniqlo boot fit denim which they no longer make. Any suggestions or advice would be great. Glad to be a part of the style forum with yall!!
    [​IMG]

18. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Well fuck you too then....

My bad, I've never looked at their store before tbh

I know I'm the resident Farinelli's fanboy president (no offense to grundle, random, etc etc etc), but once needsupply chips in with some contests giving away free shit, throws parties giving away free shit, and bends over backwards to do business with us, then I'd start pimping them.

But really, you can't hate or bitch or do something emo like weep just because someone recommends going through one affiliate over another simply because more people have experience with them.

lmao. Thanks for the laugh. Distracted me from my mopey shoegazing for a minute.

Although there's no bjs being handed out, I do have to vouch that needsupply took excellent care of me, has a sf discount, and a first-time buyer 15% off. Um, 15% off everything...

19. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hey, just got my first pair of unsanforized (and second pair of raw) jeans- PBJ XX-009. I'm having trouble figuring out how they're gonna look after soaking though and I'm a little worried about the top block. I've taken some (admittedly crappy) pictures of the problem. The fabric folds over at the very top of the thigh and the look of the backside isn't too great. But I don't know if that'll go away once they shrink and (hey, my socks are blue! Just noticed) aren't so stiff; they're like cardboard now. Enough rambling, here's the pics:

STF steps:

A) Study size charts and shrinkage statements on the website carefully. Waist/inseam shrink varies. Legs usually shrink .25" across (.5" total in circumference)
    B) Use another pair of good fitting jeans as a benchmark to gauge those fit dimensions on website. No jeans? Trial and error until you find them.
    C) Take a leap of faith. Soak.
    D) Try on. Hope for the best. Learn your fit. Fast.
    E) Worst-case, the website might, might take them back on consignment.

STF is like Russian Roulette until you know your magic numbers (target dimensions). But get it right and it's deeply gratifying.

There are ways to get more shrink (i.e., multiple hot soaks, the dryer), or to stretch jeans. It's all part of the process. makes it fun.

PS - PBJ are amazing in so many ways. See Kit's quote below. Embrace the blue socks, and hands too.

20. tightandbright

tightandbright Well-Known Member

I've wasted another 100 dollars on skinny jeans... I want something a teensy bit tigher than the Levis 511, but not as tight as 510. When I wear the 510's my thighs look too big compared to my leg and the 511's are basically slim fit, I want something a bit tighter. My waist size is 28 and 32 inseam. Can anyone help [​IMG]? I live in Canada BC, so shopping for different brands of jeans is kind of limited. It'd be great if you could recommend some brands which sell in Canada BC.
    I was wondering, would wearing 1 size up (29x32) for the 510's look better?