I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Sherlockian

Sherlockian Senior member

Ande Whall rakers. Unless you have pencil thighs, buy true to size, as these are the tightest fit I've ever had without some elastane/lycra/spandex in the denim.

2. connor

connor Senior member

dye used, how it was dyed, i'd assume the weight of the denim would factor in somehow too

3. BOF

BOF Senior member

Also the fit. With a looser cut there is less stress on the material when you move, so they're typically slower to fade.

4. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

What are the factors that will make denim tough to fade?

oxidation time, kind of dye, and number of dips [on yarn].

5. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

depends what you mean by good. i like the fabric and cut of rrl slims.

Anyone know who makes a good pair of cord jeans?

6. theom-

theom- Senior member

7. connor

connor Senior member

JKISSI was rockin some topman cords a little while ago that looked fine

8. freedavebrown

freedavebrown Active Member

Hi all, I have been lurking around for a while and have decided that I am going to make my first real denim purchase this week. I am in DC right now so I am going to go to Denim Bar in VA which appears to have a pretty amazing selection based on what I have read here. http://www.denimbaronline.com/store/...PARTMENT_ID=38 That lists all the brands they sell. I am willing to buy any of them (price wise). Although obviously don't want to spend more money than necessary. This is what I am thinking/looking for: 1) I am intrigued by the idea of raw/dry denim and working in my own fade etc. My concern is that the jeans won't be as comfortable as washed jeans. 2) I don't want really skinny jeans. I also don't want baggy jeans. The jeans I tend to wear now are standard straight leg Gap jeans and I like that fit. Not too tight, but not baggy and flapping around. 3) I don't want any weird/fancy pockets. Something simple. 4) Can some explain what the deal is with jeans inseams? I normally wear 36/32 in work style pants but it seems like all jeans in that size range are 34" inseam? Will I just have to cuff the legs? I assume i don't want to get them re-hemmed. Obviously I can try stuff on at the store and see what I think but I was hoping for some guidance from you guys first so I can know what to look for/not spend 3 hours in the store (which I would like to, but don't have time) Thanks

9. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Hi all,
    I have been lurking around for a while and have decided that I am going to make my first real denim purchase this week.
    I am in DC right now so I am going to go to Denim Bar in VA which appears to have a pretty amazing selection based on what I have read here.

http://www.denimbaronline.com/store/...PARTMENT_ID=38
    That lists all the brands they sell.

I am willing to buy any of them (price wise). Although obviously don't want to spend more money than necessary.

This is what I am thinking/looking for:

1) I am intrigued by the idea of raw/dry denim and working in my own fade etc. My concern is that the jeans won't be as comfortable as washed jeans.
    2) I don't want really skinny jeans. I also don't want baggy jeans. The jeans I tend to wear now are standard straight leg Gap jeans and I like that fit. Not too tight, but not baggy and flapping around.
    3) I don't want any weird/fancy pockets. Something simple.
    4) Can some explain what the deal is with jeans inseams? I normally wear 36/32 in work style pants but it seems like all jeans in that size range are 34" inseam? Will I just have to cuff the legs? I assume i don't want to get them re-hemmed.

Obviously I can try stuff on at the store and see what I think but I was hoping for some guidance from you guys first so I can know what to look for/not spend 3 hours in the store (which I would like to, but don't have time)

Thanks

1. They won't be- though a more relaxed/straight cut over skinny makes a world of difference. After awhile though, you will not be able to wear anything that isn't raw or stiff as a board because it just won't 'feel' right.

2. There are tons of non skinny, non baggy cuts. From more modern fits to repro's.

3. LUCKILY, raw denim brands usually have mostly minimalist styling.

4. Skinny/Slim jean wearers go extra inseam to "stack", whereas straight/relaxed cut wearers generally will get them hemmed or use the extra length to cuff (and expose selvage).

Anyway at Denimbar I recommend APC (either the New Standard or the Rescue depending on the size of yours thighs) or the KMW 1980. The Naked and Famous I've heard good things about, but never had personal experience with the jean. APC's are kind of the "de facto" entry level denim, it was my first pair.

Ande Whall rakers. Unless you have pencil thighs, buy true to size, as these are the tightest fit I've ever had without some elastane/lycra/spandex in the denim.

Word. I'm a true 31 and got a 31, had to sell it because it too tight for my liking.

10. phreak

phreak Senior member

i love my levis 501 (the new cut or w/e) but i want something a bit better quality wise. any recs for a similar cut but better quality

11. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

i love my levis 501 (the new cut or w/e) but i want something a bit better quality wise. any recs for a similar cut but better quality

See the tons of Japanese repro brands (i.e Samurai).

12. phreak

phreak Senior member

my s5000vx fits like shit

13. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

im going to buy some flathead 3001s, in size 33... i used to have thse in 32, they were perfect everywhere but the waist was too tight so it wasn't comfortable

now i think for the 33s i should hem a little off the inseam as the leg opening will be about 8.1" post shrink... being that they are about 36 inch inseam... shrink 2.5 that puts me at 33.5... my normal inseam for dress pants is 30", if i want absolutely no break 29.5"... with bigger denim openings i should try for about what 2 inches past regular inseam?..

so i was thinking getting one inch hemmed off prior to hot soak... which would leave me around a 32.5 inch inseam... this isn't going to bunch up too bad at the bottom - right?

anyone???

14. phreak

phreak Senior member

my first reaction was that 2 inches too long for a leg opening that wide

that being said, i would feel more comfortable err'ing too long...