• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Johnny Sneakers

Reaction score
thanks. i find BiG difficult to navigate at times.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two questions

1. I think I am ready to start breaking in another pair of raw denims after doing well with my RRL straight fits. I may want to size down. My question is what is generally seen as the better jean, the Nudie Average Joe Dry Heavy or the RRL Straight Fit?

2. Looking for a brown / grey / khaki jean for winter. Would probably get worn once a week at most, so not sure I want to drop $200 bucks on them. How do to these Levi's options look:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...146843.2765287

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...146843.2765287

I would wear these with navy and deep purple sweaters and what not.

djs488

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Two questions

1. I think I am ready to start breaking in another pair of raw denims after doing well with my RRL straight fits. I may want to size down. My question is what is generally seen as the better jean, the Nudie Average Joe Dry Heavy or the RRL Straight Fit?

RRL Denim >>>> Nudie Denim... the fits you mentioned are not quite the same, however.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djs488
RRL Denim >>>> Nudie Denim... the fits you mentioned are not quite the same, however.

I had the impression the Nudie Average Joe was closest to a straight fit.

k4ppah

Reaction score
What part of jeans generally fades first? Besides wallet fades, that is.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recommendations for jeans with slim thigh measurements, but not skinny jeans? I am getting hip flair with both KMW cuts, 1950 and 1980, and sizing down isn't the answer.

For example, these are cuts that seem to fit the bill:
Samurai 17oz S5000VX
Skull S5010XX
Naked and Famous Weird Guy

Any others you can think of?

Sheershucker

Reaction score
So I'm just joining the site, and though I consider myself fashionably inclined, I recognize the sheer sartorial greatness I'm surrounded by, and humbly pose a question that's been rather plaguing me.
I'm a 34w by 32 in jeans, but I've found that (due to a rather nasty football weightlifting program) my thighs are unnaturally big, and in my jeans I end up having a loose fit at ankle and waist, and a rather tight one at mid-thigh and calf. I'd really like some advice as to what the best kind of jean for my...unfortunate sizing is, and what sort of denims I should begin investing in. Thanks.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sheershucker
So I'm just joining the site, and though I consider myself fashionably inclined, I recognize the sheer sartorial greatness I'm surrounded by, and humbly pose a question that's been rather plaguing me.
I'm a 34w by 32 in jeans, but I've found that (due to a rather nasty football weightlifting program) my thighs are unnaturally big, and in my jeans I end up having a loose fit at ankle and waist, and a rather tight one at mid-thigh and calf. I'd really like some advice as to what the best kind of jean for my...unfortunate sizing is, and what sort of denims I should begin investing in. Thanks.

Nothing tapered, the carrot legged look isn't really flattered. Something like a repro cut or the APC Rescue probably.

Originally Posted by k4ppah
What part of jeans generally fades first? Besides wallet fades, that is.

Honeycombs def. for skinny jeans, then knee.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
Recommendations for jeans with slim thigh measurements, but not skinny jeans? I am getting hip flair with both KMW cuts, 1950 and 1980, and sizing down isn't the answer. For example, these are cuts that seem to fit the bill: Samurai 17oz S5000VX Skull S5010XX Naked and Famous Weird Guy Any others you can think of?
Flathead 3001/310 is tight as hell in the thigh (significantly tighter than the Skull 5010 in the same size) and doesn't taper at all below the knee.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. How do the sizes vary between the FHs and Skulls? The waist measurements are identical, but I see the FHs are unsanforized. If I am a 33 in Skulls, would I be a 34 in FH because of the shrinkage?

BTW, the Samurai 710 should probably be on my list instead of the 5000VX in case anyone is taking notes.

Sigmatic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
Thanks. How do the sizes vary between the FHs and Skulls? The waist measurements are identical, but I see the FHs are unsanforized. If I am a 33 in Skulls, would I be a 34 in FH because of the shrinkage?
here are measurements for my flathead f310 size 34 pre and post soak: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.php?p=802105&postcount=61 you should get a good idea of shrinkage from that.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sigmatic
here are measurements for my flathead f310 size 34 pre and post soak:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.php?p=802105&postcount=61

you should get a good idea of shrinkage from that.

That is perfect thanks. We must be the same size/body type because we have similar collections, even by the size. How do those Iron Hearts compare to your others, fit and quality wise?

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of 310s in 34 from the B&S forum. Thanks for the recommendation guys!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics