I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

2. Johnny Sneakers

Johnny Sneakers Well-Known Member

thanks. i find BiG difficult to navigate at times.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Two questions

1. I think I am ready to start breaking in another pair of raw denims after doing well with my RRL straight fits. I may want to size down. My question is what is generally seen as the better jean, the Nudie Average Joe Dry Heavy or the RRL Straight Fit?

2. Looking for a brown / grey / khaki jean for winter. Would probably get worn once a week at most, so not sure I want to drop $200 bucks on them. How do to these Levi's options look:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...146843.2765287

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...146843.2765287

I would wear these with navy and deep purple sweaters and what not.

4. djs488

djs488 Senior member

Two questions

1. I think I am ready to start breaking in another pair of raw denims after doing well with my RRL straight fits. I may want to size down. My question is what is generally seen as the better jean, the Nudie Average Joe Dry Heavy or the RRL Straight Fit?

RRL Denim >>>> Nudie Denim... the fits you mentioned are not quite the same, however.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

RRL Denim >>>> Nudie Denim... the fits you mentioned are not quite the same, however.

I had the impression the Nudie Average Joe was closest to a straight fit.

6. djs488

djs488 Senior member

It is, but it tapers a little. It has a higher rise, too, IIRC.

Don't take my word for it, just compare the measurements.

7. k4ppah

k4ppah Senior member

What part of jeans generally fades first? Besides wallet fades, that is.

8. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Recommendations for jeans with slim thigh measurements, but not skinny jeans? I am getting hip flair with both KMW cuts, 1950 and 1980, and sizing down isn't the answer.

For example, these are cuts that seem to fit the bill:
    Samurai 17oz S5000VX
    Skull S5010XX
    Naked and Famous Weird Guy

Any others you can think of?

9. Sheershucker

Sheershucker Member

So I'm just joining the site, and though I consider myself fashionably inclined, I recognize the sheer sartorial greatness I'm surrounded by, and humbly pose a question that's been rather plaguing me.
    I'm a 34w by 32 in jeans, but I've found that (due to a rather nasty football weightlifting program) my thighs are unnaturally big, and in my jeans I end up having a loose fit at ankle and waist, and a rather tight one at mid-thigh and calf. I'd really like some advice as to what the best kind of jean for my...unfortunate sizing is, and what sort of denims I should begin investing in. Thanks.

10. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

So I'm just joining the site, and though I consider myself fashionably inclined, I recognize the sheer sartorial greatness I'm surrounded by, and humbly pose a question that's been rather plaguing me.
    I'm a 34w by 32 in jeans, but I've found that (due to a rather nasty football weightlifting program) my thighs are unnaturally big, and in my jeans I end up having a loose fit at ankle and waist, and a rather tight one at mid-thigh and calf. I'd really like some advice as to what the best kind of jean for my...unfortunate sizing is, and what sort of denims I should begin investing in. Thanks.

Nothing tapered, the carrot legged look isn't really flattered. Something like a repro cut or the APC Rescue probably.

What part of jeans generally fades first? Besides wallet fades, that is.

Honeycombs def. for skinny jeans, then knee.

11. Asch

Asch Senior member

Recommendations for jeans with slim thigh measurements, but not skinny jeans? I am getting hip flair with both KMW cuts, 1950 and 1980, and sizing down isn't the answer. For example, these are cuts that seem to fit the bill: Samurai 17oz S5000VX Skull S5010XX Naked and Famous Weird Guy Any others you can think of?
    Flathead 3001/310 is tight as hell in the thigh (significantly tighter than the Skull 5010 in the same size) and doesn't taper at all below the knee.

12. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Thanks. How do the sizes vary between the FHs and Skulls? The waist measurements are identical, but I see the FHs are unsanforized. If I am a 33 in Skulls, would I be a 34 in FH because of the shrinkage?

BTW, the Samurai 710 should probably be on my list instead of the 5000VX in case anyone is taking notes.

13. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

Thanks. How do the sizes vary between the FHs and Skulls? The waist measurements are identical, but I see the FHs are unsanforized. If I am a 33 in Skulls, would I be a 34 in FH because of the shrinkage?
    here are measurements for my flathead f310 size 34 pre and post soak: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.php?p=802105&postcount=61 you should get a good idea of shrinkage from that.

14. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

here are measurements for my flathead f310 size 34 pre and post soak:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.php?p=802105&postcount=61

you should get a good idea of shrinkage from that.

That is perfect thanks. We must be the same size/body type because we have similar collections, even by the size. How do those Iron Hearts compare to your others, fit and quality wise?

15. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Just picked up a pair of 310s in 34 from the B&S forum. Thanks for the recommendation guys!