1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. NoStyle14

NoStyle14 Well-Known Member

So I'm hoping someone can recommend me something.

I'm looking for well fitted jean that have a generous boot cut opening. I know the the slim fit style is in right now but I just like when the opening is wider and covers a lot of the shoe.

So my question is does anyone know what brands would be good to start with? I just need to find a good fitted jean that I can be happy with.

Thanks.

2. onion

onion Senior member

I like 5ep low down boot a lot personally. They fade pretty damn slow though.

Edit: Forgot 5ep is taking time off, and not manufacturing at the moment...

3. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

So I'm hoping someone can recommend me something.

I'm looking for well fitted jean that have a generous boot cut opening. I know the the slim fit style is in right now but I just like when the opening is wider and covers a lot of the shoe.

So my question is does anyone know what brands would be good to start with? I just need to find a good fitted jean that I can be happy with.

Thanks.

Look at the Ande Whall Cougar Bootcut.

4. Marslyr

Marslyr Active Member

So after much reading and some internal debate, I think I'm looking to get myself some jeans from APC, although I'm not sure which cut I'd prefer, and the sizing.. I dunno. :p

Today I went into a Barney's in the hope of being able to try on some, but the smallest size they had was a thirty which I know would've been far too large. So I tried on some nudies and hope you guys might be able to help me figure it out. [​IMG]

My current "best fitting jean" is a mall brand 28 that is loose-ish, I think this is half how the jean was designed, and half that I probably could/should have a smaller size.

I tried on:
    Nudie slim jim dry black in a 28
    &
    Nudie thin finn in a 28

The thin finn fit felt better than the slim jim one, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't think that, just because of the difference in the cuts. :/
    I definitely felt like I could've squeezed into a 27 finn, but would've been a squeeze.
    (Looking back, this doesn't feel that helpful. Sorry guys)

But anyway, I think my best bet would be a 26 NS, or a 27 NC?

Thanks so much for any possible help guys! [​IMG]

5. adidasaj

adidasaj Active Member

that's so weird, because mine were a tagged 31, and they were barely 31 when raw. I almost sent them back, but gave them a try. That's waay too much of a difference from one lot (although I've seen big discrepancies before). Your 32s should have been about 32.5 raw.

Which ones did you get? Web link?

The vintage cut Kaedama (Spring 2009)are about what the website said.

http://shop.evisu.com/collections/me...-kaedama-jeans

Measurements at the waist are 33.5 for size32, and Evisu's description said they'd shrink to that after a hot soak. And they pretty much were right. I just measured them again a moment ago and they're about 33.5-34 with my tape measure. Before the soak, I don't know exactly how wide they were but they fit like typical size34s or so, which must have been 35-36 waist.

6. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

So after much reading and some internal debate, I think I'm looking to get myself some jeans from APC, although I'm not sure which cut I'd prefer, and the sizing.. I dunno. :p

Today I went into a Barney's in the hope of being able to try on some, but the smallest size they had was a thirty which I know would've been far too large. So I tried on some nudies and hope you guys might be able to help me figure it out. [​IMG]

My current "best fitting jean" is a mall brand 28 that is loose-ish, I think this is half how the jean was designed, and half that I probably could/should have a smaller size.

I tried on:
    Nudie slim jim dry black in a 28
    &
    Nudie thin finn in a 28

The thin finn fit felt better than the slim jim one, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't think that, just because of the difference in the cuts. :/
    I definitely felt like I could've squeezed into a 27 finn, but would've been a squeeze.
    (Looking back, this doesn't feel that helpful. Sorry guys)

But anyway, I think my best bet would be a 26 NS, or a 27 NC?

Thanks so much for any possible help guys! [​IMG]

Measure those 28's that you like, because my "best fitting" jean is also a 28 which actually measures 31 inches.

7. Foxtrot56

Foxtrot56 Senior member

In order to get more specific advice, can you provide a price point? Typically, you'll recieve the 'try APC/3-Sixteen/Naked & Famous' response, which are all respectable starter dry denim (from what I hear and have experienced).

But if you have the time and the patience, and aren't averse to the idea, you'll see a great return on the investment if you save now and look at buying some $200+ jeans. Used is a great way to start and there a great deals to be had (me! vvv), although you miss out on the 'break in'/shrinking experience.

For your fit, I'd take a look at straight-leg tapered jeans and amything that's a reproduction of Levis 1966, or 1947 cuts, which many Japanese companies do (including Levis high-end selvage).

Blue in Green has a number of lines that do this, as does SelfEdge.

PS - get a tailor's tape measure and measue the waist and other dimensions of the best fitting jeans you have (wast/rise/thigh/knee/leg opening). Don't vary much more than .5" from any of those dimensions for your first pair, unlesss you want to experiment.

See this link on how to measure:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41

Really I have never spent over $30 on a pair of jeans and my most expensive clothes are not even over $50 so I would not want to spend more than $100 on a pair of jeans.

8. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Which ones did you get? Web link?

Got mine from Gordon at Blue in Green. Dunno what year. Might have been '08s for all I know. I can ask...

9. Marslyr

Marslyr Active Member

Measure those 28's that you like, because my "best fitting" jean is also a 28 which actually measures 31 inches.

Thanks for the response, but I think you misunderstood me. The "best fitting" jean is more of a best of the worst type of thing. If I don't wear a belt it would end up coming off my body. I could certainly pull it off without unbuttoning.
    That said, I measured it and it came out to 16. Which would worry me, except that I tried on 28's at barneys :p

10. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Senior member

Really I have never spent over $30 on a pair of jeans and my most expensive clothes are not even over $50 so I would not want to spend more than $100 on a pair of jeans.
    Sorry but this makes me lol now that I don't even consider sub $200 clothing options anymore... the world is dark and cold...

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Does Levis make a black raw denim, I like my Levi Black 501s Shrink to Fit a bunch and I want to buy the same thing but with better quality haha.

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

All regular Levis stuff will be of the same quality..... LVC MIGHT have one, just look at repro brands, but you'll pay much more. No such thing as cheap quality

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Do you know if that 1947 ever came in black?

14. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Not exactly sure what kind of responses I'll get, but:

Looking for a woman's jean, very skinny, in waxed black. Preferably one that comes in sizes 24-25. Any rec's would be great.

15. Foxtrot56

Foxtrot56 Senior member

Sorry but this makes me lol now that I don't even consider sub $200 clothing options anymore... the world is dark and cold...
    Well maybe I am looking in the wrong places for clothes then, I only make about $700 a paycheck.

16. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Senior member

Me too, hence darkness and coldness. jawnz>electricity

17. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

So, after an unsuccessful thread, I've decided to post here. I got a pair of Marc by Marc Jacobs Raw Selvedge from Gilt and I've been wearing them about every day for about 6 weeks. They're fairly relaxed compared to what I see here (I'm a mall brand size 30, and, knowing nothing about the jeans when i bought them, i figured true to size was a safe bet), but they fit well and I've decided to keep them, especially after a hot soak. Does anybody have any advice for this specific brand? How long should I wait before washing? Anything else to know?

18. laughwithm3

laughwithm3 Senior member

Where can i find a solid quality pair of raw selvedge jeans? i tried B&S, but it doesn't really have my size. budget $100-150, perferably japanese denim.
    and how much do they usually shrink after soak in the waist and length??

if you could, please pm for the anwers, much appreciated.

19. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Just get a pair of 3Sixteens, you aren't going to get any high quality construction or denim in that price anyway

20. whodini

whodini Senior member

Not exactly sure what kind of responses I'll get, but: Looking for a woman's jean, very skinny, in waxed black. Preferably one that comes in sizes 24-25. Any rec's would be great.
    http://www.killcity.net/handlers/sty...s&style=64-384
    Does anybody have any advice for this specific brand? How long should I wait before washing? Anything else to know?
    They'll probably be like any other pair of jeans. Wash them when you feel they're dirty.
    Where can i find a solid quality pair of raw selvedge jeans? i tried B&S, but it doesn't really have my size. budget $100-150, perferably japanese denim. and how much do they usually shrink after soak in the waist and length?? if you could, please pm for the anwers, much appreciated.
    Unless you're a super small or super large size, keep checking B&S. $150 will probably get you something nice once sales start next week. Farinelli's is doing a black friday sale so you might want to wait for that. Ebay would be another option. Sanforized jeans shrink 1-5% in the waist and length after the first soak/wash. I wouldn't worry too much about the waist as it'll stretch back.