I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. grayKyle

grayKyle Active Member

I threw this in the pinned noob thread and figure it might receive some more traction here:

I'm looking for new jeans and I need some recommendations.

I'm 6' 150lb, 30" waist and I have a hell of a time finding jeans that "fit". It usually turns into buying jeans that don't really fit, but are "close enough". I used to wear girl jeans in college, because they were "skinny" or weren't super baggy and usually had plenty of length for my longer legs (plus they were always on sale, so I could afford cheap jeans and beat the hell out of 'em and not give a damn).

I'm attaching a photo of my current single pair of jeans. They are Levis 514 30X32. I like them okay, but I wish they were longer so they at least would "stack" a bit on my shoes, or long enough that I could cuff them about 2". Unfortunately Levi's, and everything else I have checked, never offer a 30X34.

I have done some digging in the threads here, but to be quite honest, some of them are out of control with the amount of posts, and after 10 to 20 pages I just get worn out, so I'm posting here in the question "noob" thread.

So, what I want are jeans a bit darker than my Levis, that are more straight all the way through, mine seem to be a bit more baggy around my thighs? That aren't stiff, or lose their stiffness quickly, long enough for me to get a decent cuff, and I don't particularly want to spend more than 150 - 200.

From what I have read, I have gone through the Self Edge site and found a few pairs of jeans I think might be what I'm looking for.

3Sixteen SL-100X Straightleg Indigo Selvege (though I noticed they are out of stock on multiple sizes) http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=438

Nudie Easy Emil Dry Navy Organic http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=422

In both instances I found them on other sites with different shots, with maybe larger guys, so they don't look as narrow (or they look baggy).

I've gotten the impression that many people don't care for Nudie because of their bright stitching and maybe other things?

I also saw many recommendations for APC. I checked them out and maybe like the Cure Standard and Petit Standard.

With all of that being said, the main points I guess are straight all the way through, or not super tapered, with enough length to cuff. Little to no bagginess, but no hugging of my junk, I'm not sure what I was thinking wearing women's jeans for 6 or 7 years, but I'm over it at this point.

I appreciate any and all comments/recommendations/input/etc.

-Kyle
    [​IMG]

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I did a search but nothing came up.

Thoughts on Surface to Air Slm Jeans in Blue Stretch? I've seen them for sale and I'm interested in something new. What are opinions on their quality? How slim are these compared to APC NS which I currently have? THey look pretty slim in pictures I've seen.

3. wagthesam

wagthesam Senior member

How do you roll your jeans?

4. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

My Momotaro's just arrived. I need opinions on whether I should size up. Right now they're too tight - I can hardly sit down and it took about 5mins to get the top button done up. Being really knew to the whole styleforum & denim scene, I'm not sure if they'll stretch out a little. Bear in mind this is pre-soak (they're sanforised though). The denim is so stiff! [​IMG] The only spot where I'd say it looks bad is the back there where those folds are. It may just be the denim stiffness. I would have to wear them around for a couple of days and give them a bit of a beating PRIOR to soaking just to loosen/soften them a bit. Otherwise I won't be able to put them on.

5. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

I have these 3sixteen slim jeans, been wearing them about a week, and I notice there is a lot of pulling/tension on the outside seams where the knee cap is.

I'm just wondering, how come no one double stitches the outside seam like with the inside seam? I know that if the thread breaks, basically the whole jean comes apart and needs to be resewn together.

6. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

To the guy above:

I think they look fine, especially if you're able to sit down.

Question:

I have these 3sixteen slim jeans, been wearing them about a week, and I notice that there is a lot of pulling/tension on the outside seams where the knee cap is.

I'm just wondering, how come no one double stitches the outside seam like with the inside seam? I know that if the thread breaks, basically the whole jean comes apart and needs to be resewn together.

7. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

Bottom line is they have to stretch a little beyond that, which is their pre-soak size (they're sanforised though). I can sit down, but it's rather uncomfortable.

I always thought that the tighter jeans are, the more they stretch. Is that so for high end denim like this?

8. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

My Skulls were originally as tight or tighter than that. Once the waist stretches out you'll be able to sag it more and you won't get those ass folds. In my thought, it'll stretch out fine if that's how it looks like from the get-go.

I suggest doing lots of squats and stretching. Remember that they aren't going to stretch unless you make them stretch.

9. Chip

Chip Senior member

[​IMG]
    Tanner London Tan card wallet on and off for 6 months

10. BOF

BOF Senior member

11. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

Is there a rough guideline to an 'ideal' tightness on a pair of raw jeans? Should it be snug (slightly uncomfortable, suck in gut a little to button up), tight (uncomfortable, tight when sitting, suck in gut + pull hard to button), or ball busting tight?, etc.. Basically, anything that doens't sag at the butt and thighs is probably good right?

Is there a good raw jean faq for beginners? I searched on google and didn't find a good one.

12. BOF

BOF Senior member

It really depends on the brand. APC is known for stretching, but there are other brands that hardly stretch at all.

13. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

If you try hard enough you can probably make most jeans stretch. Mine have already loosened up marginally in one day... Though I've been breaking a sweat trying to do it.

Having said that, Momotaro's are never going to stretch as much as APC or similar.

14. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

I suggest doing lots of squats and stretching. Remember that they aren't going to stretch unless you make them stretch.
    I would not advise this unless it's part of your normal routine. If you stretch the knees too much you are going to have baggy knees and skinny thights/calves, making the fit of the legs look funny. In the case of squats, you'll wind up with an overstretched ass and waist. Don't do unnatural movements to break in your jeans. Go ride a bike for about an hour, that will give you a much more natural effect.

15. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

^^ Thanks for the tip. I'll do that tomorrow, actually.

It is indeed the thighs that I want to stretch.