I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. capnpyro

capnpyro Senior member

OhgodI'mwearingsoakingwetjeansthatIjustfinishedhotsoakingIhateyoualldeargodwhyaretheysocold

2. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

thanks again. do you know what the stretching is like on the max cashes? and does APC still make black stretch cures -- i don't see them on the website or in the store in soho (if they do, what is the stretching like on those -- as much as the NS?).

Acne max cashes are a nice black matte color. Cloak has some black overdyes. Cheap monday and april 77 do as well but they're a bit skinny for what you're looking for. Levis makes the 511 cut (not that skinny, probably like apc ns) in a black overdye. APC makes black stretch cures that are nice. The cure cut (different from new cure) isn't all that tight either and would work.

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Max cashes run slim. I wouldn't size down. All jeans will stretch a little bit but if you're between sizes on the Max Cashes, i'd go up from what i've heard.

Call the soho, la and brooklyn stores and ask if they have them. They might have some instore still and they do phone orders. They're part stretch so they don't stretch a bunch. I think i read that people only sized down 1 as they might've been a bit vanity sized still.

4. T.S.Eliot

T.S.Eliot Member

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of levis 1947 501 (the shrink to fit version) in size w30 l36?? Also i've heard that some japenese brands make shrink to fit jeans based on the cut of the 1947 501, if someone can point me in the diretcion of these I'd be very grateful.

5. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

Any recommendations...

Parameters for a size 30:
    Raw selvedge denim
    Slim fit (not super-slim)
    Straight leg
    ~10" rise
    ~8" (or slightly more) leg opening

6. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of levis 1947 501 (the shrink to fit version) in size w30 l36?? Also i've heard that some japenese brands make shrink to fit jeans based on the cut of the 1947 501, if someone can point me in the diretcion of these I'd be very grateful.

The Sugar Cane Okinawa, Hawaii, and 1947 all match the cut of the 1947 501. I'm sure there are others but I'm only familiar with the SC's.

7. Asch

Asch Senior member

Any recommendations... Parameters for a size 30: Raw selvedge denim Slim fit (not super-slim) Straight leg ~10" rise ~8" (or slightly more) leg opening
    The Iron Heart 634S in size 30 has a ~10" rise and an ~8" leg opening. It's considered more of a "normal" cut than slim, but any jean with a 30" waist and an 8" leg opening is not going to be particularly slim by this board's standards. I'm a thin guy, and the IH 634S fits me terrifically.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Any recommendations...

Parameters for a size 30:
    Raw selvedge denim
    Slim fit (not super-slim)
    Straight leg
    ~10" rise
    ~8" (or slightly more) leg opening

SSDS is prolly a decent choice.

9. phipbow

phipbow Active Member

I have narrowed my choices down to several jeans. These would be my second pair; I bought a pair of APC NS awhile ago and I'm hooked. If anyone would care to discuss the merits of these/ compare and contrast them (fit, quality, fading properties) I'd appreciate it. Keep in mind I love the fit of the NS overall, just find the thighs have stretched to the point of being a little big for my taste)

5EPXSF

Imperial Duke

ImperialXSF

KMW 1980 or Rocker (are the rockers just more tapered or what?)

Flat Head 3001

Sugar CaneXSF

I realize that's not alot to choose from and everything...

10. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

The Iron Heart 634S in size 30 has a ~10" rise and an ~8" leg opening. It's considered more of a "normal" cut than slim, but any jean with a 30" waist and an 8" leg opening is not going to be particularly slim by this board's standards. I'm a thin guy, and the IH 634S fits me terrifically.

SSDS is prolly a decent choice.

Thanks. These two were actually rising to the top while I was web surfing this afternoon. The KMW 1950 also looked like a good option. Any experience/thoughts on these?

11. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I have narrowed my choices down to several jeans. These would be my second pair; I bought a pair of APC NS awhile ago and I'm hooked. If anyone would care to discuss the merits of these/ compare and contrast them (fit, quality, fading properties) I'd appreciate it. Keep in mind I love the fit of the NS overall, just find the thighs have stretched to the point of being a little big for my taste)

5EPXSF

Imperial Duke

ImperialXSF

KMW 1980 or Rocker (are the rockers just more tapered or what?)

Flat Head 3001

Sugar CaneXSF

I realize that's not alot to choose from and everything...

All completely different fits. The 5eps might be hard to get nowadays unless you happen to be a size 30.

12. whodini

Thanks. These two were actually rising to the top while I was web surfing this afternoon. The KMW 1950 also looked like a good option. Any experience/thoughts on these?
    KMW always has great denim (Japan) and the fit seems to be about what you're looking for. I've only tried on the 1980 and Rocker while the latter has been on my list for some time now. The only wear experience I have is with the SSDS and I truly love the fit. Very versatile and I've yet to see it not work out for someone's body type. Nudie isn't the best option in selvage, imo, but if you can find them with a good discount like I did ($125 for SSDS Svenka) then they're worth it; it's the $225 for RRDS that I have trouble justifying with all the other competition out there.

13. phipbow

phipbow Active Member

All completely different fits. The 5eps might be hard to get nowadays unless you happen to be a size 30.

I mean how so? I've compared them all using the measuring charts at selfedge and context clothing (with the exception of 5EP) but they're basically identical at the thigh, knee and cuff (the last of which is irrelevant anyways because I'd hem them to a 32 inseam) Obviously looked at the pictures but I know that's deceptive...

14. whodini

I mean how so? I've compared them all using the measuring charts at selfedge and context clothing (with the exception of 5EP) but they're basically identical at the thigh, knee and cuff (the last of which is irrelevant anyways because I'd hem them to a 32 inseam) Obviously looked at the pictures but I know that's deceptive...
    Picture will help a lot, especially if you run a search for people wearing them here on SF and on SuFu. While my 5epxsf's might have similar measurements to another pair I own, the fit is completely unique, not to mention denim and dye qualities.

15. Nottageek

Nottageek New Member

The 5eps might be hard to get nowadays unless you happen to be a size 30.

Anyone know where I can get a pair of these in size 34? Please PM if you have a source!