1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. hobscrk777

hobscrk777 Well-Known Member

Where do they sell RRL jeans? They don't appear to be on the Ralph Lauren website.

Can I find them:
    in Ralph Lauren retail stores?
    Macy's?
    Saks?

2. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Well-Known Member

^

forum affiliate Farinelli's (link at top of page) but they aren't allowed to list them on the web, so give em a call

Some of the RL stores carry RRL, but the selection is usually small (based on the SF flagship store)
    there are RRL stores dotting the US

never seen them in a dept. store.

ebay has tons.

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a pair of jeans in the $200-$250 neighborhood - I am 5'10 and 175 lbs. so I don't look great in anything too slim. I do have a pair of Rescues that I like, is there anything comparable at a higher price point?
    Sugarcanes are nice full-leg jeans
    Where do they sell RRL jeans? They don't appear to be on the Ralph Lauren website. Can I find them: in Ralph Lauren retail stores? Macy's? Saks?
    Barney's has a pretty decent selection (at least mine does....)

4. scb

scb Well-Known Member

anyone have both kmw 1950 and somet 003s? if so, same size in both?

i've checked all measurements and i'm guessing with the lower rise of the somets that an inch bigger in the waist than the 1950s would be fine

5. trafficjam

trafficjam Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with made to measure jeans? There are folks around here who do it pretty cheap, but I don't know anything about the quality of the denim they're using. They've got big rolls of various colors and, I guess, weights, lying around, but I don't really know what to look for. If I'm gonna get jeans made, what should I be looking for in material? Additionally, what sort of flourishes could be added in something like this? Is it kosher to bite the measurements of other jeans, or should I look at trying to get something cut more around me?

6. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

There is an alledged drug peddler who makes bespoke jeans here on SF. He may help you in the department of denims and bitches.

7. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

Top button on my Skulls broke. What do I need to do to fix it, and by that I mean add a new top button?

8. ppllzz

ppllzz Well-Known Member

does anyone make selvage jeans without the selvage line? i want the highest quality denim possible, which is selvage, but i dont like the dotted red line... any tips would be greatly appreciated

9. Ge Fuzz

Ge Fuzz Well-Known Member

does anyone make selvage jeans without the selvage line? i want the highest quality denim possible, which is selvage, but i dont like the dotted red line... any tips would be greatly appreciated

Edwin makes a rainbow selvedge.

[​IMG]

10. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

It's definitely not common but a manufacturer can make jeans using selvage denim without actually using the selvage line. My mind is drawing a blank but for some reason I want to say EG did something like this a few seasons ago. More common than that is selvage lines that are flat instead of dotted. For example (Evisu): [​IMG] Or to compromise you could go half-selvage which is more common with Lee's, a few Levi's, Evisu, and a handful of other brands (Evisu LH/RH): [​IMG] It's your dime but I think a full selvage line looks a lot cleaner that than outseam stitching.

11. theom-

theom- Well-Known Member

^^ naked and famous does just plain white selvage.

12. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

The APC New Cure haha.

13. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

Crotch on my Diors is blown. Rip is on the right side of the crotch, about 1x1in square then extends another couple inches but is very thin. The other side of the crotch is getting close to blowing as well...

Should I just do an iron on patch? Suggestions? Pix needed?

My Diors are close to blowing out too. I just sewed on a patch.

14. mlyngard

mlyngard Well-Known Member

anyone have both kmw 1950 and somet 003s? if so, same size in both?

i've checked all measurements and i'm guessing with the lower rise of the somets that an inch bigger in the waist than the 1950s would be fine

You are correct. I've had both (and the KMW 1980s).

Somet 003 will want to sit much lower on your waist, and you should wear them that way. Size up one to accomodate. Or TTS (if between sizes like me) and wait for the 1" stretch.

15. hobscrk777

After doing a lot of reading around her, I'd like to get a new pair of jeans. My current pairs are faded, loose, and ill-fitting.

Criteria:
    • Dark blue (but not black or gray yet)
    • Straight-leg (but not tapered)
    • <$100 (although the lower the better, of course)
    • Low-ish rise (no 3" emo jeans, but no dad jeans either)

I usually wear a 30x32 or 32x32, so I don't need any outlandish sizes or anything.

Thanks for your help!

16. mlyngard

mlyngard Well-Known Member

After doing a lot of reading around her, I'd like to get a new pair of jeans. My current pairs are faded, loose, and ill-fitting.

Criteria:
    • Dark blue (but not black or gray yet)
    • Straight-leg (but not tapered)
    • <$100 (although the lower the better, of course)
    • Low-ish rise (no 3" emo jeans, but no dad jeans either)

I usually wear a 30x32 or 32x32, so I don't need any outlandish sizes or anything.

Thanks for your help!

Can you give us a point of reference for jeans you have tried on that you do like? Do you want non-shrinking sanforised denim? Shrink-to fit? Do you want the full raw denim experience, with a longer term-commitment?

Under $100 will be tough, and it's not always easy to discern value by price tag only (you don't always get what you pay for...).

I'd say a good start is to explore the slim, straight-leg offerings from GAP and Jcrew. They're decent jeans for the money, I think. Gap is about 69, jcrew about 95-125.

APC is always a good 150+ jean to start with. 3Sixteen at Self Edge seems to be something people are exploring.

Try on lots of jeans and see what modern fit you like. There's tons of different variations on the slim straight leg fit. Bring a tailors measuring tape so you can get an idea of the rise, thigh and leg opening dimensions.

17. ten ton sour

ten ton sour Member

Okay, this is going to be one of those super-noob 501 STF sizing questions. My pants size has been changing recently, so I went in tonight to try on some preshrunk Levis to get a sense for what size to order in the STFs. A 33x32 pair fit OK in the waist, but was painted-on tight in the thigh. A 34x32 pair was just barely roomy enough in the thigh, but was starting to get ridiculously loose in the waist - my true waist measures 32".

In the past I've had good results sizing up 1 in the waist with the STFs, but I'm a bit leery ordering 35x34s - that's three inches bigger than what my waist actually is, and I'm pretty sure STFs don't shrink that much. So what waist size should I get? 35? 34, and gamble the legs won't be too tight? Or should I just give up and head over to the relaxed fit section?

Speaking of which, wasn't there a straight-leg Cheap Monday jean that was notoriously baggy? Is something like that a better option at the same pricepoint as 501s?

18. scb

scb Well-Known Member

You are correct. I've had both (and the KMW 1980s).

Somet 003 will want to sit much lower on your waist, and you should wear them that way. Size up one to accomodate. Or TTS (if between sizes like me) and wait for the 1" stretch.

thanks! you said you've had both the 1980s and 1950s. would you say the 003s are closer to a 1980 or a 1950?

19. hobscrk777

Can you give us a point of reference for jeans you have tried on that you do like? Do you want non-shrinking sanforised denim? Shrink-to fit? Do you want the full raw denim experience, with a longer term-commitment?

Under $100 will be tough, and it's not always easy to discern value by price tag only (you don't always get what you pay for...).

I'd say a good start is to explore the slim, straight-leg offerings from GAP and Jcrew. They're decent jeans for the money, I think. Gap is about 69, jcrew about 95-125.

APC is always a good 150+ jean to start with. 3Sixteen at Self Edge seems to be something people are exploring.

Try on lots of jeans and see what modern fit you like. There's tons of different variations on the slim straight leg fit. Bring a tailors measuring tape so you can get an idea of the rise, thigh and leg opening dimensions.

Excellent advice, thank you. At this point, I don't think I'm ready or can fully appreciate raw denim. I'd prefer non-shrinking, so that the size in the store is more or less the size the pants will be in the future. I'll take a closer look at the Gap and JCrew jeans.

20. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

You're too infatuated with selvedge. Selvedge does not intrinsically mean the highest quality denim. Kaihara, Kurabo, Cone White Oak all make non-selvdege denim of "premium" quality.
    Edwin makes a rainbow selvedge. [​IMG]
    PS is 50x more rainbow than those boring things.