Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Irony Quoted
    I was going to spell "spelling" with one "l" but thought that might be too obvious.

2. Razele

Razele Senior member

Yes. More like 1 or 2 pair 6-7 days a week really.

If this seems odd, you may think most people here and their washing schedules are really fucked up. Outside this forum, I don't even try to explain to people the fact I don't wash my jeans but every 2-3 months.

Yeah, if I told people at work this, they would be like WTF, get on the other side of the desk, as I work in psychiatry.

Telling them that 'it's all about the fadez' just doesn't cut it.

3. youngage

youngage New Member

guys.... what is a better look, for a casual everyday jean.

i have weird guys by naked and famous and they are long.

should i keep them stacked. or should i get them shortened a little?

4. bleepthat

bleepthat Member

Sorry if this has been answered in this post in advanced. I am a newbie lol.

I recently bought these RRL Straight Leg denim. They are Japanese Selvedge and are one wash. I am normally a 32 or 33/30 in most jeans. I got these in a 30/34. They are very tight around the waist but I am assuming these stretch a lot.

I would like to know if these will have the same effect with shrinking/stretching as the Raw denim? If so by how much? Should I give these cold rinse before I wear them in order to not shrink them even more?

Thanks in advance!

5. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

guys.... what is a better look, for a casual everyday jean.

i have weird guys by naked and famous and they are long.

should i keep them stacked. or should i get them shortened a little?

Whatever you want and think looks good. It's a matter of preference; either stack or cuff- assuming you sized down on those, skinny jeans with no stacking looks very gehy.

Yeah, if I told people at work this, they would be like WTF, get on the other side of the desk, as I work in psychiatry.

Telling them that 'it's all about the fadez' just doesn't cut it.

You just don't tell them.

6. jaac

jaac Senior member

You just don't tell them.

^this

really it should be no big deal what people do with their own clothes/body as long as it has little-no effect on people in close contact with them... but most people have it in their head since childhood that you always wash your clothes after every wear.

I've told some friends when it comes up that i don't wash my jeans and they had a similar reaction. It's easier just to not tell them.

7. poptartsicle

poptartsicle New Member

Hey, I hope this is the right place to ask this. I'm looking into buying my first pair of raw denim jeans, and I was wondering what brand you would recommend. A friend recommended A.P.C jeans, what are your opinions on them? I'm about 6', and skinny, so I'm assuming that a skinny fit would be best, especially if they stretch out over time. So do you have any recommendations? I don't want to spend too much, but if I'm going to spend a lot, I might as well buy the better brand.

Also, this is somewhat unrelated, but I've been reading a lot about not washing the jeans within the first 6 months. I just fear that the jeans would start getting dirty, or smelling. Is there anything I could do beforehand to prevent this from ever happening? I usually wash my clothes after I wear them (though jeans I wear a few days before I think they should be washed) so not washing for months is going to be a weird adjustment, and I basically just want a safety net to prevent the jeans from even needing to be washed.

Thanks for the help!

8. ConcernedParent

Hey, I hope this is the right place to ask this. I'm looking into buying my first pair of raw denim jeans, and I was wondering what brand you would recommend. A friend recommended A.P.C jeans, what are your opinions on them? I'm about 6', and skinny, so I'm assuming that a skinny fit would be best, especially if they stretch out over time. So do you have any recommendations? I don't want to spend too much, but if I'm going to spend a lot, I might as well buy the better brand.

Also, this is somewhat unrelated, but I've been reading a lot about not washing the jeans within the first 6 months. I just fear that the jeans would start getting dirty, or smelling. Is there anything I could do beforehand to prevent this from ever happening? I usually wash my clothes after I wear them (though jeans I wear a few days before I think they should be washed) so not washing for months is going to be a weird adjustment, and I basically just want a safety net to prevent the jeans from even needing to be washed.

Thanks for the help!

There is an entire thread devoted to APC. The general consensus is for the $150 range the brands in contention are Crate, N&F and APC. Always consider vanity size for any cut (basically size down two from your real tagged size). For APCs (I own a pair myself), the NS TTS (-2 from your waist size) is a regular fit, sized down 1 (-3 from waist size) is a slim fit, and sized down 2 (-4 from waist size) is a skinny jean kind of like a Levi 511 cut. The Petite Standard is a very tapered jean, it's top block is identical to the NS- but with lower rise and from the knee down it is tapered; sized down it is more like the 510 fit. The New Cure is the 'tightest' fit; it is skinny from top to the leg opening, which has a very slight flair at the hem.

There is no way around it. Just don't get it dirty, and wash it when it does. You can try fabreeze, freezing your jeans and laying it overnight outside- I've tried them and have gotten minimal results. Honestly, unless you live in a hot climate or do strenuous physical activity or can't aim at the urinals there really isn't an issue.

9. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

Thanks for the help!

I will skip the first paragraph except to say APC is a decent first denim choice but there are plenty of other options as well. "Better" is almost completely subjective. Nailing down a specific budget will help you weed out brands.

In regards to wear, the short answer is no. There is no magic way to make to prevent your clothing from smelling after wear. If there were Maytag and Whirlpool would be fucked. Your jeans WILL smell and at that point you should wash them. If that happens at 1 month or at 12, you shouldn't walk around being the smelly kid. they are just jeans and contrary to the hype, washing them won't ruin them.

That said, it is not nearly as necessary as you may think to wash jeans as often as most people do. Shower daily, air them out outside.... there are plenty of tricks that are really just common sense in order to extend time between washes.

10. squelchy451

squelchy451 Senior member

I'm thinking of buying a Levi's 512 slim tapered jeans. They're like 514 slim straight except the leg gets tapered later.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...estyleforum-20

Do I have to size up or size down for these jeans? I wear 32 for 514 and 30 for most other jeans, and i had to size up quite a bit for the skinny 511's.

Thanks

bump...

11. poptartsicle

poptartsicle New Member

Thanks for the help guys! Yeah, I figured the washing jeans thing would be that way (washing them once they start to get really dirty). I would hate to be the smelly kid. haha

I think I get the sizing thing, but let me just make sure. Right now I wear a size 30-32 waist in Levi 511 (I'm assuming length doesn't play much of a role in this example). If I were to buy the new standard, I would go down to 28 for a regular fit, 27 for slim, and 26 for skinny? Would this change if I were to look into new cure/petite standard?

Also, now that I've pretty much decided on A.P.C, any recommendations on which style I should get? I like the low rise of the petite standard, and I've been recommended the new cure, but I don't want it to be skin tight. (Though I did read that it should be really skin tight at first, and it will mold to your body better that way, so would that be the way to go?)

Thanks again for the help!

12. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

My advice would be to go try all 3 on.

And while I recommend "skin tight" as far as waist fit since they will stretch (and APC more so than most) skin tight elsewhere is going to be more about what "look" you want as opposed to "molding to your body" which is a very over used description of what raw denim does. Even straight and even loose raw jeans will conform and break to your body albiet in different ways.

The fit aside from the waist is all about what aesthetic you want.

13. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

bump...
    If they're like the 514's then why do you need to know whether or not to size up?

14. ConcernedParent

Thanks for the help guys! Yeah, I figured the washing jeans thing would be that way (washing them once they start to get really dirty). I would hate to be the smelly kid. haha I think I get the sizing thing, but let me just make sure. Right now I wear a size 30-32 waist in Levi 511 (I'm assuming length doesn't play much of a role in this example). If I were to buy the new standard, I would go down to 28 for a regular fit, 27 for slim, and 26 for skinny? Would this change if I were to look into new cure/petite standard? Also, now that I've pretty much decided on A.P.C, any recommendations on which style I should get? I like the low rise of the petite standard, and I've been recommended the new cure, but I don't want it to be skin tight. (Though I did read that it should be really skin tight at first, and it will mold to your body better that way, so would that be the way to go?) Thanks again for the help!
    Yes. Although regular fit is kind of misleading; TTS would yield a slimmer jean than a true regular fit, but I didn't have the adjectives to describe it. Petite standard sizing is fairly similar I would assume, but not 100%. For the New Cures, please do not size down more than 1 (-3 total); I went TTS for mine and they are very skinny. Both the NS and the NC have lower rises than most jeans, they usually sit on the hips anyway. Approx. what weight are you? Look up fit pictures on all of them.

15. squelchy451

squelchy451 Senior member

If they're like the 514's then why do you need to know whether or not to size up?

Well i was just wondering...maybe the legs taper a lot so you need to size up or you're calves will be dying or somethin

better safe than sorry...i'm buying on line thats why