I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Wh0l3

Wh0l3 Active Member

So I ordered a pair of Levi's 501xx's that were made in the USA which I believe are from 1993
    here is the link to the ebay auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180362709114

anyone know how these fit compared to today's 501's? I believe they'll be slimmer because of the trend at the time (which is what im looking for, i have a pair that are 33x38 but are too loose)

-Thanks

2. Bonin

Bonin New Member

There is a lot of content on here, have googled a few times and checked different keywords etc, so here is my nubcake question:

I have a pair of selvedge cone denim jeans they turned out awesome, even as my first pair of raw denim jeans with real indigo, but I am getting sort of confused with my average joes. The deal is that I prefer a darker colour with more defined/contrasted areas of distress. I wrecked one pair of jeans that luckily weren't terribly expensive volcoms with synthetic indigo even though they were selvedge by trying one way of getting sharper contrast by washing them in luke warm to warm water after four months of pretty intense wear (I would wear them to my summer job of finishing concrete...the best job ever for making jeans look great in my opinion) and the contrast was pretty shitty. This might have been from the synthetic indigo not breaking properly though...I don't know. The distress looks decent on them, but there are no honeycombs really.

Either way, can someone tell me beyond any doubt how to get the indigo to stay nice and dark, but get the honeycombs etc to be nice and light? Or is that kind of like having a cake and eating it too?

I did a soak in a bath tub full of cold water with a tiny bit of vinegar and let them dry to me while I was sitting on my ass to get the colour to set a bit already. It's been about eight months and I have worn these things every day and all day for all of those and they don't look anything near as pale as many pics that I have seen people posting after four to six months of wear.

So, yeah: to be concise I want dark overall colour with more contrast with the fades, distress and all that.

3. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

There is a lot of content on here, have googled a few times and checked different keywords etc, so here is my nubcake question:

Your questions are sort of all over the place but...

1) With your AJs, don't wash them. Water simply will remove indigo from the entire jean not just the faded parts. The alternative would be to dry clean if you're really anal about this. I don't like babying jeans like that so it's against my recommendation but proceed at your own risk.

2) Your Volcoms were probably crap, selvage or not. Four months of wear, while some would argue is enough to produce sufficient contrast, really is a drop in the bucket. Try wearing them for a year and then see how they turn out.

3) Your problems aren't with washing, they're with wear. Wear them.

4) If you're wearing your jeans to get a specific kind of wear, you're probably over-thinking things. Or you might want to browse the jeans pics thread to find a brand that looks closest to what you have in mind and go for that.

4. Bonin

Bonin New Member

(meant to be a PM originally)
    Awesome, thanks for the insight. I am digging on them just reflecting on my life. I am not too concerned about how the distress forms or whatever, just that some areas stay darker and not the insanely light blue ones that I see getting posted.

One thing that occurred to me is that these are pretty heavy denim, so the fading is probably going to take some time. The only thing I do in regards to care for them is [very] lightly starching them to keep them a bit stiff every now and again(like three times out of seven or eight months).
    I never starch over lines though.
    You pretty much summed up what the back of my mind was saying as far as not washing them unless my cat pisses on them or something(I didn't even wash a pair that this happened to before).

I'll have to put up a pic of the cheapass volcoms or something. I kind of like the distressing/fade on them. It is pretty easy to guess what I would do at work from looking at where the fade is at on them. Trippy.

5. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

I guess none of the Our Legacy washed jawns from a while ago were a hit. I'll admit to having been a bit deluded by the brand and the fact that they're being sold at Tres Bien. Anyway, I checked out Earnest Sewn washes and didn't really like them. So, are there any slim/straight fit (preferably with a very slim top block) washed jeans out there that don't look like shit? I'd like to spend under $150, if possible. EDIT: just checked out some Acne washes, and I rather like them. [​IMG]

6. theom-

theom- Senior member

I guess none of the Our Legacy washed jawns from a while ago were a hit. I'll admit to having been a bit deluded by the brand and the fact that they're being sold at Tres Bien. Anyway, I checked out Earnest Sewn washes and didn't really like them.

So, are there any slim/straight fit (preferably with a very slim top block) washed jeans out there that don't look like shit? I'd like to spend under $150, if possible.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8763/98763.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8880/99286.jsp

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...d=1&pid=579549

http://www.tobi.com/product/10689-nu...723#ref=plroll

http://www.tobi.com/product/7076-nud...202#ref=plroll

http://www.tobi.com/product/17795-ch...239#ref=plroll

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...d=MENS_APPAREL

Those levis in the last like are some of the better distressed pairs I've seen.

for the gap just size down a bit. I've seen them fit very slim on friends of mine.

7. BoSU

BoSU Active Member

Big noob questions

What do these words mean:

1) Slubby

2) Selvage

Thanks [​IMG]

8. onion

onion Senior member

Big noob questions

What do these words mean:

1) Slubby

2) Selvage

Thanks [​IMG]

Slubby just means irregularities. It could be in the cotton (this is also called a nep) or in the indigo. When it's in the cotton it looks like little white dots all over the place like this:

[​IMG]

When there is irregularities in the indigo it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Selvage just means that the cotton is loomed on a shuttle loom, which creates a "self edge" for the denim and won't unravel. That is the result of the cross thread (the weft, or the white thread in jeans) being one long string going back and forth down the loom, instead of on projectile looms where each row has it's own weft.

This is the self edge selvage denim is known for:
    [​IMG]

It's popular (sort of...), because it makes a clean line on the outseam of jeans like this:
    [​IMG]

9. BoSU

BoSU Active Member

Thanks Onion. You explained it perfectly.

10. SoundItOff

SoundItOff Active Member

Quick question if anyone can help:

I'm about the pull the trigger and order a pair of Nudie Slim Jims Dry Grey Coated from Cultizm but wanted to make sure I get the sizing right. I currently have a pair of slim jims in dry broken twill that are 29/32, they are definitely a slim fit but I like them that way for drumming or just hanging around. I planned on using the grey coateds for going out @ night and stuff so I wanted them not quite as tight. It would seem obvious to order them in a 30/32 but I recall reading some random comments a while ago that the Nudie coated denim tends to stretch more / run slightly bigger than the regular dry denim. Can anyone confirm this? Should I just order another 29/32 and assume they will end up a tiny bit bigger than my current SJs?

Normally I wouldn't mind this much but after noticing the company is based out of Germany I would prefer not having to return them.

Thanks!

11. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

I'm about the pull the trigger and order a pair of Nudie Slim Jims Dry Grey Coated from Cultizm but wanted to make sure I get the sizing right. I currently have a pair of slim jims in dry broken twill that are 29/32, they are definitely a slim fit but I like them that way for drumming or just hanging around. I planned on using the grey coateds for going out @ night and stuff so I wanted them not quite as tight. It would seem obvious to order them in a 30/32 but I recall reading some random comments a while ago that the Nudie coated denim tends to stretch more / run slightly bigger than the regular dry denim. Can anyone confirm this? Should I just order another 29/32 and assume they will end up a tiny bit bigger than my current SJs?

Normally I wouldn't mind this much but after noticing the company is based out of Germany I would prefer not having to return them.

Thanks!

Also understand that you will stretch a 29 more than you would stretch a 30.

For what you want, I would say order the 30 and wear a belt.

12. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

Thanks!

I have Slim Jims in Dry Black Coated, and my impression of them is that they give quite a lot, due to having stretchy material in them, but don't permanently stretch very much. So I think you want them to fit pretty close to ideal immediately, rather than relying on a permanent stretch like you get with regular denim.

I could just be misremembering how the ones I have fit at first, but I think my memory is correct.

In that case, a 30 waist seems like a good idea.

13. SoundItOff

SoundItOff Active Member

Also understand that you will stretch a 29 more than you would stretch a 30.

For what you want, I would say order the 30 and wear a belt.

Thanks, ordered the 30/32 -- hopefully they'll work out, will post an update once I get them.

14. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

Had a pair of Slim Jim Dry Black Coated, and my experience was the same as reprehensible's. They do not stretch permanently as with raw denim.

15. duck sauce

duck sauce Well-Known Member

Slubby just means irregularities. It could be in the cotton (this is also called a nep) or in the indigo. When it's in the cotton it looks like little white dots all over the place like this:

[​IMG]

When there is irregularities in the indigo it looks like this:

[​IMG]

actually, the eternals look like that because of the varying size of threads in the warp(another slub)- this makes the weft show more in places, and thicker threads may already have been worn down some, making it appear lighter in places
    the "white dots" is just due to the denim not being singed completly(or at all) so the hairy texture of unsinged denim is still there. the hair can bunch up (like a snowball) and appear as white dots throughout.