1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Can a selvedge expert tell me if any of these jeans are selvedge? The top two are Diesel, which I didn't think made selvedge jeans. The bottom picture is of a Levi's Vintage Straight 539 jeans (in beige). [​IMG]

2. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

3. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

The first one is basically the same as all of them, it just uses more fabric to give the illusion of selvedge.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

The first one is basically the same as all of them, it just uses more fabric to give the illusion of selvedge.

Help me train my selvedge-spotting eye. I just can't see the difference between say, this random pair, which is cited as selvedge on the message board:

[​IMG]

5. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

^ I repeat:
    Notice the lack of any criss-cross stitching (i.e. overlock stitching) at the edges.
    Also, the actual selvedge line, which is usually red on white.

6. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ I repeat:

Also, the actual selvedge line, which is usually red on white.

Sorry, I didn't see your edited post in time.

I sort of see the difference now.

7. theom-

theom- Senior member

Trolls be trollin'

8. Wrigglez

Wrigglez Senior member

hey all. I know someone will rage because i havn't read all 200 pages of this thread yet and i should know better but i just want some quick advice.
    Q: i've worn levis always. i get a 30' waist and they fit great when i get them but they strech so much that i need a belt or they dont stay up. after about 6 months i washed them an dthey srunk but streached soon after. i plan on getting a pair of nudies in a week or two. how should i go about waist size as some have recomended getting larger sizes? cheers guys.
    regards,
    J

9. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Can a selvedge expert tell me if any of these jeans are selvedge? The top two are Diesel, which I didn't think made selvedge jeans. The bottom picture is of a Levi's Vintage Straight 539 jeans (in beige). [​IMG]
    Selvedge is part of the denim itself. After you look at some selvedge in person you'll be able to tell the difference. Those are serged seams (threads are used to finish the edge), selvedge is part of the weaving process and therefore the denim will transition seamlessly between the twill and the edge
    Help me train my selvedge-spotting eye. I just can't see the difference between say, this random pair, which is cited as selvedge on the message board: [​IMG]
    Note how the white edge isn't sewn on or anything, if you were to look closer the weft would just blend into the edge. Those Deisels you posted are a prime example of the capitalization of the selvedge craze, a lot of companies are trying to disguise their seams as selvedge or using cheap selvedge to get sales off the trend
    hey all. I know someone will rage because i havn't read all 200 pages of this thread yet and i should know better but i just want some quick advice. Q: i've worn levis always. i get a 30' waist and they fit great when i get them but they strech so much that i need a belt or they dont stay up. after about 6 months i washed them an dthey srunk but streached soon after. i plan on getting a pair of nudies in a week or two. how should i go about waist size as some have recomended getting larger sizes? cheers guys. regards, J
    Take a measurement of your waist (about 2" below your navel) and use that accompanied with the jeans measurements to determine your size. I don't remember the stretching advice for Nudies but you cold run a search or, if you're really lazy, ask Kiya (a retailer of Nudies who will also give you 25% off if you purchase from him), as he will know for certain how to size you (and he has information on his site at selfedge.com)

10. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Senior member

let me clarify when i say levis. im not talking about the ones you get from target or whatever(levis signature?). im not trying to knock target because occasionally i find a decent pick up there. point is that for another 15-20 bucks you can get the "original" levis from a department store. theyre made with better quality materials. plus they have been around for, what, 150 yrs or so? i dont think you can make denim your business for that long and suck at it. you might be able to find more modern cuts with some of the other brands, but levis has a fairly wide array of styles also. id be inclined to say levis would be the best value

Nice. (nicely put--especially the bolded type). [​IMG]

11. TalkTalk

TalkTalk Member

hey - was considering getting a pair of cheap monday autobahn jeans online. they don't sell them at any of the denim retail stores around me, so i have no way to try them on.

i was looking around online and read a couple places they fit a little large around the waist, and you should size down ... can anyone verify this? does the denim stretch?

I'm usually around a 31-32 waist anyway. trying to see if i should go 31 or down to 30. i go 28 in apc.

12. garmis

garmis Senior member

looking for black denim similar to the KMW 1950 (straight cut). any recs?

13. xperii

xperii Active Member

My size 34 rescues got here today, had them hemmed up a bit and they fit nice and snug! cant wait for them to loosen up a bit [​IMG]

14. Dynasty

Dynasty Active Member

I am going to pick up some Levi 501 or 511 jeans soon. I do not want to have to soak or do any kind of special washing/break in procedures. I simply just want to wear them. Is that possible with these jeans?

When I try them on in the store, I want them to fit that way after I wash them. When I try them on and they fit well, I don't want to shrink them or anything.

15. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

I am going to pick up some Levi 501 or 511 jeans soon. I do not want to have to soak or do any kind of special washing/break in procedures. I simply just want to wear them. Is that possible with these jeans?

When I try them on in the store, I want them to fit that way after I wash them. When I try them on and they fit well, I don't want to shrink them or anything.

just dont buy shrink to fit. they will still probably shrink a little bit, though

16. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

So I just got My Marc by Marc Jacobs Selvedge jeans from Gilt and they're slightly larger than I'd like (though only slightly). Is there anyway to get them to shrink a bit? I'm a total Raw n00b so any resources you could link me to would be awesome.

Thanks

17. Aspen20

Aspen20 Active Member

I'm planning to order some Uniqlo Japanese selvedge denim --- probably the Slim Fit, Straight Jeans. I can't seem to find any info about sizing for these. I know the Uniglo selvedge jeans are sanforized, and so they should shrink, but my question is: do they stretch and are they true to size?

My true waist is 35 inches, so I was thinking of getting them in 34. Typically a 30" inseam is correct for me. Do they come in various inseam sizes?

I'm looking for jeans with a similar cut and style to the APC New Standard, but with a touch more room in the legs. Hopefully these are about right.

18. avery

avery Senior member

why don't new cures have a selvage outseam?

19. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

So I just got My Marc by Marc Jacobs Selvedge jeans from Gilt and they're slightly larger than I'd like (though only slightly). Is there anyway to get them to shrink a bit? I'm a total Raw n00b so any resources you could link me to would be awesome.

Thanks

not likely. even if they do shrink in a hot soak they'll prob just stretch back out to the size they are now, if not more.

if you can't return them for a smaller size, just flip 'em in the B&S forum and chalk it up to a learning experience. we've all been there.

20. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

why don't new cures have a selvage outseam?

they use the same denim as other APC cuts but i believe that the outseam isn't straight, so they can't keep the selvage line. if you're not going to cuff, i wouldn't worry about it.