I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

I have a 30'' waist, so taking into account vanity of 2, that puts me at 28 (normal jeans)
    I don't know what "normal" jeans you're wearing, but most jeans are not as vanity sized as APCs. I'm a 30" waist too and most commonly wear size 30, because believe it or not, size 30 pants are usually made for a 30" waist. So if you typically wear 28, you're either measuring your waist incorrectly or have somehow gone your whole life having only experienced vanity sized pants. Anyway, you may want to try Petit Standards. They are basically a slimmed down NS, and not as tight as NCs.

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

okay okay that was kind of stupid to say so here's what i meant: Do they even have nice details? I know the construction is pretty good, but when you're spending that much money I would expect a detail like selvage denim. Dior is stupid for not making them selvage. It is kind of stupid to spend that kind of money on those jeans, only to have them tapered, when, IMO, much better jeans could be had for much less. I was also under the impression that selvage equals better quality more often than not.
    They're one of the few pairs of jeans I know that have trouser clasps instead of a button; aside from that, there really are no bells and whistles. Construction is fine, about what you'd expect from a designer label. The problem is that you have it ingrained in your head that selvage=quality. It's not 100% your fault as this forum pushes an association with certain denim brands which pride themselves on reproductions or bandwagoning onto reproductions. A list of features (hidden rivets, coin pocket selvage, chainstitching, etc) is constantly thrown around like gold standards of quality when really their either details only a denim nerd will (or has come to) appreciate or are completely insignificant to the "quality" of a pair itself. The end result is comparing a pair of jeans by bullet points instead of doing the research into the actual denim production and fit. Dior isn't stupid for making more of their jeans non-selvage than selvage. Who are they making jeans for, you or people who wear brands like Dior? A majority of their buyers will not know the difference nor bother to care. Dior isn't alone, either; look at other high-end labels and even lower-end brands like Acne and Nudie. The cut is king. I'm not sure what you meant by "only to have them tapered" since Dior is 19cm is tapered but your POV of spending less and getting "more" with a different brand goes back to the age-old forum argument of price vs. worth, the ultimate fashion clusterfuck debate. Just stop. "Selvage" denotes a manufacturing process with zero indication of quality. You should take a look at the stuff Cone, Rivi, etc. makes to understand what I mean.

3. Razele

Razele Senior member

The majority of the Dior fades i've seen have been excellent.

Is this because of the qualities of the denim itself or the cut? I really love the fade and the cut, so I'd love a pair even at the price.

4. pridecake

pridecake Senior member

i can't really attest to the quality of dior denim but the fit has always been excellent for me. What's the point of wearing an amazingly constructed pair of jeans like ironhearts but with a poor fit? Just a personal thing, but I greatly prefer diors indigo shade compared to jeans like APC's.

5. kleny

kleny Well-Known Member

I live in NYC. I known I'm pretty late but does anyone know where I can buy crate routes in size 29 or 30.

6. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

There's a store by me that has Crate Squire's and indigo Journals for $68, discounted from $136. Pretty much a full size run. Didn't see other Crate items tho.

7. kookydooky

kookydooky Senior member

Denim washing

Is it recommended to iron them after machine washing them and sun-drying?

8. whodini

Are you wearing them like dress pants?

9. Doin' Fine.

Doin' Fine. Senior member

about a 32 waist, might be incrementally smaller. Size down to 30 on a Nudie TFDS?

10. whodini

Stick to a 32, MAAAAYBE a 31 if you really want to risk circulation loss.

11. Doin' Fine.

Doin' Fine. Senior member

Stick to a 32, MAAAAYBE a 31 if you really want to risk circulation loss.

Think I'll size down. I'm used to the tight jawnz.

12. Our_Benefactors

Our_Benefactors Well-Known Member

How does the pbj xx05/007/010 compare to APCNS in terms of fit? If I'm a 30 in NS and wanted something a little more relaxed, would a 32 fit the bill?

13. Kill_switch

Kill_switch Senior member

How does the pbj xx05/007/010 compare to APCNS in terms of fit? If I'm a 30 in NS and wanted something a little more relaxed, would a 32 fit the bill?
    well taking into account a 2 size stretch on apc from 30->32 i'd say a 32 would be a perfect fit, not so much relaxed. pbj fits pretty true to size.

14. keke123

keke123 Member

I am new to raw denim and not sure what to go with.

I have a 30 waist, 5'9", 130-135 pounds.

I was looking into either Crates or Ande Whalls.

The three styles I see for crates are Journals, Routes, and James. I don't see any actual measurements for them though. I don't want a super skinny jean. If somebody could tell me or link me to a website with the measurements I would appreciate it.

Also, I suppose I am willing to fork out $75 more for the Ande Whalls if the quality is better. In which case I would probably go with either the grifters or cougars. Are the grifters a very tight fit?

15. 4saken

4saken Senior member