Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. spellc

spellc Member

Maybe you can look at Imperial's Shearer cut.
    The Shearer looks to be pretty similar - is there another line you'd recommend that has a slimmer fit (certainly doesn't need to be Imperial).

2. AJL

AJL Senior member

So I picked up a pair of KMW 1950's in a 32, which seem to fit pretty similar in the waist to my APC NS 31's when I first got them (pretty damn tight). NS now fit comfortably in waist, but I'm afraid the 1950's won't stretch nearly as much. I'm thinking of going to a 1980 in a 33 (1950's are fuller fit than I need). Does this seem reasonable (for those who have experience w/ both jeans)?

3. xchen

xchen Senior member

spellc, perhaps APC New Cures sized down 2.

4. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

spellc, how about looking at some Dior in a much smaller waist size? Maybe 27? I find it hard to beleive that you could be a size 29.

5. spellc

spellc Member

spellc, how about looking at some Dior in a much smaller waist size? Maybe 27? I find it hard to beleive that you could be a size 29.
    I've been a 29, sometimes a 28. I'm also just 22 with a metabolism that is finally starting to slow down a bit, so I do want to leave just a little extra room over the next year or two. But thanks for the suggestions, I'll certainly look at a 27 or 28.

6. rezzor

rezzor Senior member

So following some good advice I received earlier in the thread, I bought the 101z in 29 and also got a pair of earnest sewn rottons in 30 so I could compare the fits. Their measurements are very similar bu I feel the Lees fit better, the earnest seem a bit big. The lees are a little tight but form what I've read they'll stretch. They are long but they are so narrow that I don't know if I should hem them? Does the stacking look excessive? Lee 101Z [​IMG][​IMG] Earnest swen [​IMG][​IMG]

7. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

^^^

Once you wear those lees with real shoes and the knee creases set, the stacking will take care of itself. I'd probably wait for both to happen (say in a week's time) and then reassess. If they're still bugging you, lop off an inch.

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

So following some good advice I received earlier in the thread, I bought the 101z in 29 and also got a pair of earnest sewn rottons in 30 so I could compare the fits. Their measurements are very similar bu I feel the Lees fit better, the earnest seem a bit big. The lees are a little tight but form what I've read they'll stretch. They are long but they are so narrow that I don't know if I should hem them? Does the stacking look excessive?

Glad that worked out for you.

The Lees will stretch some so I think you'll be fine. Whodini is right in that they will settle, but I'm of a mind that excessive stacking doesn't look great on an older guy -- I say that as someone much older that you -- so I would cuff for a time to determine the best length then hem once you're happy with the look.

lefty

9. SlamMan

SlamMan Senior member

I'm hoping this is the thread to get some help looking for my first raw denim. I've been wearing Levis 514 slim straight jeans in 34 30 and I really like the fit and style. I'd like to find some raw denim that fits like my 514's.

Would the easiest way to find some similar jeans be to measure my 514's and try to find something similar? If so do I just start by measuring the waste, rise, legs, etc.

this is probably a dumb question but how do I find the right size jeans online without being able to try them on?

10. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I'm hoping this is the thread to get some help looking for my first raw denim. I've been wearing Levis 514 slim straight jeans in 34 30 and I really like the fit and style. I'd like to find some raw denim that fits like my 514's.

Would the easiest way to find some similar jeans be to measure my 514's and try to find something similar? If so do I just start by measuring the waste, rise, legs, etc.

this is probably a dumb question but how do I find the right size jeans online without being able to try them on?

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/inde...d=30&Itemid=41

Follow that for measurements. Then come back and tell us what part of the 514 fit you like, and which things you might want to adjust (slightly lower rise, a bit smaller at the hem, etc...)

11. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I'm looking for a good jean with low/mid rise, long inseam and narrow hem for stacking. Any recommendations for under $~180? I do like the skulls, but I'm not sure if I should shell out $230 for them, and all the different kinds (black, 7x6, etc) it's pretty confusing.

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'm looking for a good jean with low/mid rise, long inseam and narrow hem for stacking. Any recommendations for under $~180? I do like the skulls, but I'm not sure if I should shell out $230 for them, and all the different kinds (black, 7x6, etc) it's pretty confusing.

TF would work...

13. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Thin Flinn? Slim jims are about as slim as I can get due to my thighs, it wouldn't look right for that much taper.

I guess I should have mentioned that.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Thin Flinn? Slim jims are about as slim as I can get due to my thighs, it wouldn't look right for that much taper.

I guess I should have mentioned that.

You could try going TTS or sizing up one in TFs. That would make it a bit more relaxed in the top block while still having a pretty tapered leg with good stacking.

15. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

double post