1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

could someone recommend me a slightly relax fit jeans.
    I have a pair of APC NS which I like but they are a bit to slim for my taste. sizing up is not questionable, they are already on the big side.
    the calves and especially the knee area is to tight on my skin.
    I'm afraid rescue are to big and up diaper in the butt area. I'm not big boned or fat.

Yeah, just keep lying to yourself.

2. acconrad

acconrad Senior member

^^^^^^ When I shrunk to fit my 501's I filled the bath tub with as hot of water as I could stand, and then got in while wearing the jeans. I added hot water while I sat there for about an hour or so. When you are finished (the tub will be DARK blue, I couldn't even see through it), wear until dry.

Hahaha baller

@acconrad__ ^that, or just simply do another hot soak as you did the 1st time..

I heard this method is better because it won't be as tight if you wear them...not that I want them TIGHT, its just htat, I know jeans stretch so if they come out tight at first, they'll loosen up a bit after some wear.

FYI, they are hard as a rock right now, its kind of funny haha. Thanks guys!

3. DECEMBER

DECEMBER Senior member

When I bought my tagged 28 crates they were pretty tight around the waist and hard to button. (29 true waist). Now they've stretched out and I can stick like two hands down them.
    Is this normal or should I have gone 1 more size down?

Same with my 3sixteen jeans as well but no way I can go down another size on those.

I guess it depends on the brand?

4. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

5. cmr924

cmr924 Member

[Moved per request]

I'll keep this simple: I am on a quest to find my first pair of raw denim. I live in the Western Suburbs of Chicago (60527). Where could I go to get some? (This can include downtown Chicago).

Budget would be hopefully no more than $150-$200. I normally buy jeans at 32W x 30L and I am not going to have enough time to get the inseam altered (which is why I haven't bought anything online, yet). I am hoping that inseam isn't going to be a problem.

Thanks!

6. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

You're going to buy a pair of jeans which you plan to wear, no doubt for 12 months - probably more, maybe less and you "don't have enough time to get the inseam altered"??

Pfft. Don't be ridiculous. You're short. You need to alter it. Otherwise cuff them.

7. cmr924

cmr924 Member

I'll be leaving the country soon and wanted to know if any place sold raw denim in a 30L, my normal jean size. I can get them altered later but would like to at least be able to wear it first.

Thanks for the help?

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

I'll be leaving the country soon and wanted to know if any place sold raw denim in a 30L, my normal jean size. I can get them altered later but would like to at least be able to wear it first.

Thanks for the help?

Brands that have jeans that come in 30L are not the ones you want to be spending $150-200 on. If you're that anal about the inseam then you're better off finding some cheaper jeans like Levi's or an alternative mall brand.

9. robba

robba Well-Known Member

Yeah, just keep lying to yourself.
    ok not tight but unconfy. I have very skinny legs (and I'm 6"; 145lbs) and it feels awkward to have the jeans wrapped (ok with some space) around my knee. around my calves is more space which looks weird also. I guess I just don't like slim fit. anyway I just ordered a pair 501 STF.

10. cmr924

cmr924 Member

Brands that have jeans that come in 30L are not the ones you want to be spending $150-200 on.

If you're that anal about the inseam then you're better off finding some cheaper jeans like Levi's or an alternative mall brand.

Why is that exactly?

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

Why is that exactly?
    Boutique jeans aren't mass produced the way mall brands are so they simply cannot afford to be offering different inseams (although a few brands do offer 32/34 or regular/long.) I'd also suspect that someone who's taking the effort and cash to buy something nice will also take the effort and cash to have the jeans tailored how they wish.

12. onion

onion Senior member

Boutique jeans aren't mass produced the way mall brands are so they simply cannot afford to be offering different inseams (although a few brands do offer 32/34 or regular/long.) I'd also suspect that someone who's taking the effort and cash to buy something nice will also take the effort and cash to have the jeans tailored how they wish.

To add to that, it's just like buying expensive dress pants. They come with long hems that are meant to be tailored after the item is purchased. The only difference with jeans being the hem is finished.

13. rkingucla

rkingucla Well-Known Member

hey i have a pair of samurai 0500's in size 32 and i really like the fit, but i'm looking for something just a tiny bit slimmer too. i've been looking into
    warehouse 660s
    studio d'artisan sd103's
    skull s5010xx

i can't find any of those in stock in the us yet, so does anyone have any other recommendations?

14. heman

heman Member

So my first pair of raw denim got completely soaked in the rain today. I'm leaving town for 2 weeks tomorrow morning and I really want to bring them with me.

My question is: how long will it take for these jeans to dry? I've left them hanging inside-out outside for about 2 hours now and its getting a little bit dryer. Are there any alternative methods that may be faster for drying them?

15. connor

connor Senior member

hey i have a pair of samurai 0500's in size 32 and i really like the fit, but i'm looking for something just a tiny bit slimmer too. i've been looking into
    warehouse 660s
    studio d'artisan sd103's
    skull s5010xx

i can't find any of those in stock in the us yet, so does anyone have any other recommendations?

you check SE and BiG?

16. grundletaint

So my first pair of raw denim got completely soaked in the rain today. I'm leaving town for 2 weeks tomorrow morning and I really want to bring them with me.

My question is: how long will it take for these jeans to dry? I've left them hanging inside-out outside for about 2 hours now and its getting a little bit dryer. Are there any alternative methods that may be faster for drying them?

aim a fan at them

17. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

They air out within hours in the summertime.

18. rkingucla

rkingucla Well-Known Member

you check SE and BiG?

yea, i wear the 'common' sizes (31-33) and they don't have any of my size in stock.

19. aoluffy

aoluffy Senior member

im buying pbj-005s waist 31'' (my first pair of raw denims). (true waist is 31.2''... maybe going on 30.5'' in a motnh or two... maybe 31.5''). (i might get 32'' if the thighs don't fit?).

im usually a 32'' inseam. the jeans come in 35'' inseam. i'm buying them from BiG. so thinking of getting the inseam chainstiched. should i put the inseam to 32'' or more or less? first pair of raw denims and i see some ppl roll over the bottoms of their jeans for some reason.

any info much appreciated. also any advice in first pair of raw denims please.

im getting one wash i think because im scared i will mess up the soaking method and i dont really understansd the advantage to soaking them by yourself compared to one wash.

20. grundletaint

i think i'm gonna hem my skulls

option 1: send to SE and get chainstitched
    option 2: have the tailor use the original hem
    option 3: fuck it, just have them hemmed normally

what should i do?

blue team go!