1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. modual

modual Senior member

I actually think my SC Oki's fit close to that selfedge pic. Mine drap more but that's because they've been my primary lower-half covering for the past year+.

I got mine one-wash. I'm not too sure it's important to get an anti-fit jean like the SCs in a STF because they aren't really going to shrink down to a skin-tight size. I'd say find a one-wash pair and just get true to size. They'll be a little tight at first but they'll eventually form to your waist.

BTW, I measured my 30s when I got them and the inseam is 34".

I think the okinawa you have is slimmer than the sc47 iirc

2. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

I'm looking to order my second pair of raw denim.

My first were a pair of APC NS 6 months ago, which after much consideration and reading up here in the forums, I got in size 31. When I first tried them on, they were very tight, but I managed to button them. They have of course stretched out since then, I've also lost a little weight and now they're quite loose (no washes so far). But I've noticed that I've stretched out the top button hole a bit, and that gives a bit of a fly distortion, not really something I want.

Anyway, so in consideration of my new jeans, I've been looking very closely at the soon to be released SExFH05s, as I'm sure many of you have. Sidney keeps saying, measure you're size 2 inches below your navel. Well I just did that, and I get 37 inches! And to top it off he says size one up!

WTF? I know APC are vanity sized, but that's a hell of a difference. I measured my APCs, ala BiG, and get 36. I also measured an old pair of Diesel (yeah, yeah, I know ... don't start), and they come in at 36 also (though tagged 32). And lastly to be factored into the equation, I recently had opportunity to try on some Imperials in both the Shearer and Duke, and the 33 seemed the size I would go with, tight around the hips, but manageable.

So my basic question is what f'ing size am I to believe? Based on the ol' "size down 2 for APC" rule (add to the fact that they're now loose, though not too much), and my fittings with Imperial, I'd think 33 or 34, but my jeans and waist say 36-37. Any thoughts on what size in the SExFHs I should get? Any guidance in my measurements. Any thoughts on my sizing in general would also be appreciated.

I'm asking this here because, firstly Sid and Kiya have been inundated with sizing questions; and this for me, is more of a sizing in general question, which I will apply towards the SExFHs as well as other denim. Thanks for any help/guidance you guys can offer.

3. threeonethree

threeonethree Well-Known Member

as advised to me , i went for a pair of slim straight jeans.. i couldnt afford something very expensive and i coudnt find levis stf raw selvedge so i went for a pair of lee's slim straight jeans. i think they are fine .. can you give me any feedback on those? and what about slim straights from brands like wrangler? i will post a pic soon .. thanks

4. choptreesv

choptreesv Senior member

whats similar to my KMW 1950s but without the low pockets so that I'm not sitting on my wallet all day.

I'm thinking APC Rescues. is there anything else to consider?

5. mtgguy777

mtgguy777 Well-Known Member

So I decided to just get the preshrunk 501s becuase they were readily available. Now my question is, will they get that personalized fade?

6. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

All jeans fade. Just wear them hard, wash when necessary and they will look better and better.

7. chris902

chris902 Active Member

So my basic question is what f'ing size am I to believe? Based on the ol' "size down 2 for APC" rule (add to the fact that they're now loose, though not too much), and my fittings with Imperial, I'd think 33 or 34, but my jeans and waist say 36-37. Any thoughts on what size in the SExFHs I should get? Any guidance in my measurements. Any thoughts on my sizing in general would also be appreciated.

Go with the measurement of the waistband on your current jeans. That will tell you how big the waist should be depending on where you wear them. Keep in mind that amount of stretch the new jeans will get.

All jeans stretch out to the point where tag size means nothing - I wear size 32 jeans and mine have stretched to 35 inches.

8. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

I'm looking to order my second pair of raw denim.

I'm asking this here because, firstly Sid and Kiya have been inundated with sizing questions; and this for me, is more of a sizing in general question, which I will apply towards the SExFHs as well as other denim. Thanks for any help/guidance you guys can offer.

my advice is to pay very little attention to tagged size or your actual waist size. take some measurements of jeans that fit you well, particularly at the thigh and knee. the waist will always stretch out. measurements are all over the net and once you get a feel for what you're looking for it's easy - the only other thing you have to do is research the stretch factor of a particular denim. there are other considerations, such as the hips, seat, and the exact shape of the cut between the crotch and knee, but you can find enough fit pics to get an idea.

my sizing is all over the map, but all have similar (within 1/2") thigh and knee measurements after stretching:

31 in RRDS
    33 in Imperial Duke
    30 APC Rescue
    32 in IH 634
    31 in 5ep LDB
    34 in FH F310
    32 in Dior 21cm MIJ

9. onion

onion Senior member

any comment about Ed Hardy jeans?
    [​IMG] They are some of the most fugly jeans I've ever seen. I don't get what exactly the draw is to having someone else's name embroidered on your ass....

10. cjbreed

cjbreed Senior member

any comment about Ed Hardy jeans? do they look too exaggerated about their design specially on their back pockets??

well, being new to styleforum as a result of the sufu clusterf*ck, i'm still gonna' go out on a limb here and say Ed Hardy anything is absolutely horrible. in my opinion that is...

11. T.S.Eliot

T.S.Eliot Member

I actually think my SC Oki's fit close to that selfedge pic. Mine drap more but that's because they've been my primary lower-half covering for the past year+.

I got mine one-wash. I'm not too sure it's important to get an anti-fit jean like the SCs in a STF because they aren't really going to shrink down to a skin-tight size. I'd say find a one-wash pair and just get true to size. They'll be a little tight at first but they'll eventually form to your waist.

BTW, I measured my 30s when I got them and the inseam is 34".

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm in a bit of a dilema because i've found these on ebay, in my true waist size (29) for $180 inc p&p to the UK. But i'm not sure if i should get them. i wanted a 47501 repro because i thought they would have a very narrow cut as i am very thin, especially in the thighs. but if these are anti-fit i;m not sure. How do they compare to say, new standards? my new standards were fine at first but have stretched to be too big in the thighs and as they are tapered i look like a clown in them!! (i sized down 2 aswell) If these will be too big can anyone recommend a narrower cut but with a straight rather than tapered leg?? thanks very much and sorry for all the questions.

12. modual

modual Senior member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm in a bit of a dilema because i've found these on ebay, in my true waist size (29) for $180 inc p&p to the UK. But i'm not sure if i should get them. i wanted a 47501 repro because i thought they would have a very narrow cut as i am very thin, especially in the thighs. but if these are anti-fit i;m not sure. How do they compare to say, new standards? my new standards were fine at first but have stretched to be too big in the thighs and as they are tapered i look like a clown in them!! (i sized down 2 aswell) If these will be too big can anyone recommend a narrower cut but with a straight rather than tapered leg?? thanks very much and sorry for all the questions.

You could try sizing down 3 in ns. If you really want a repro cut then i would recommend the lvc 1947 rather than the sugarcane. Its a slimmer cut and if you buy it true to size and stf in the bath it should fit straight and slim.

13. phipbow

phipbow Active Member

Want a step up from my NS with a slightly smaller thigh...

I was thinking KMW 1980 or Imperial Dukes?

14. Brainfreezebob

Brainfreezebob New Member

I'm looking into getting a pair of APC jeans because I want to enjoy the fading fun on the cheap(er), but I have a couple misgivings:

1.) I always have a hard time finding a pair of jeans that fits me just right, and I'm really picky. Right now, the best I've found are a pair of slim Levi's 314's with a 34 waist and a 32 length. These sit bellow my lovely beer pillow, fitting my thighs, hips and ass nicely. Jeans that sit up further tend to fall down all the time (due to a serious lack of ass) and fit baggy, emphasizing my weight . The APC's seem to all be "mid-rise," not "low rise."

2.) I like a little bit of a break where the jeans hit my boots/shoes, but I don't dig the stacking. The APC's are all pretty long, it seems. Guess I could have them hemmed. I live in the Bay, and I've noticed that Self Edge does this with some crazy ancient machine.

3.) As referenced above, I'm a little thick up top, so tapered pants of any kind are unflattering. I know the New Cures are tapered, how about the others?

Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely? Should I try a different brand instead? I can' imagine spending more than $150 on a pair of jeans--not right now at least.

15. Dekayte

Dekayte Senior member

Want a step up from my NS with a slightly smaller thigh...

I was thinking KMW 1980 or Imperial Dukes?

Hey Chronic, Thanks for posting pics of your 1980 Blacks. Here is a long overdue pic of mine after 2 months of every day wear.
    [​IMG]
    I can not express how happy I am with the early results. KMW rules.

Is your mind made up yet? I know after I saw this picture I ordered a pair.

16. phipbow

phipbow Active Member

Wow. Yeah it is coming down to those, the dukes,the SExSC or the new SExFH, although no one has recommended the Dukes to me, I am just drawn to the Imperial brand for one reason or another...

Thoughts on each jean?

17. onion

onion Senior member

Wow. Yeah it is coming down to those, the dukes,the SExSC or the new SExFH, although no one has recommended the Dukes to me, I am just drawn to the Imperial brand for one reason or another... Thoughts on each jean?
    Well the Imperial Dukes are a good pair of denim. The indigo (and black) is a really cool color, well made, etc; however, KMW, SC, and FH are just imo better. Personally if you're going to throw the SExFH in, I say definitely go with that. If they turn out half as good as they sound they should be amazing. I REALLYYYYY want a pair of the black ones personally, as they supposedly will fade like normal raw indigo (though I'm sure still very colorfast). A bit pricey, but I think it's justified.

18. Dekayte

Dekayte Senior member

I'm not a big fan of Flathead or Sugarcane so I can't give my opinion of them but the Dukes are good and I'm praying to god that the KMW 1980s are as good as the Rockers. Are you getting indigo or black? If you're going black you should really check out the Context x KMW 1980 Blacks. They are beautiful as you can see.

19. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

any comment about Ed Hardy jeans? do they look too exaggerated about their design specially on their back pockets??

I can only assume this guy is kidding.

Side note: I will say that I've never actually looked at buying anything Ed Hardy before but I did just now to see how god-awful these jeans must be and I was completely amazed at how relatively cheap their clothing is. I was expecting those freakin ugly T-shirts you see all the celebs wear to be like $150...but no they're like $65...that's amazingly reasonable. Every HS kid needs to have a least one or two of those pressed and hung up in the closet ready to go for date night.

The SC Oki's are just an old school cut...they look like a 1947 cut, literally. (How can someone make a repro jean that's modern-slim?) I'm fairly slim and these might have looked a little odd at first but now they've formed nicely to my shape but with a little extra fabric hanging around the sides. It's not much of a traditional SF fit but I like it.

Up until a few weeks ago I had only two pairs of raw denim...SC and APC NS. They are completely different. When I get dressed in the morning I think to myself...Hmmm, do I want to go slim or relaxed? I basically fit the jeans to the shirt/shoes I'm wearing that day. I think it allows for a bit of variety which is nice when you only wear two pairs of pants most of the time.

I'm looking into getting a pair of APC jeans because I want to enjoy the fading fun on the cheap(er), but I have a couple misgivings:

1.) I always have a hard time finding a pair of jeans that fits me just right, and I'm really picky. Right now, the best I've found are a pair of slim Levi's 314's with a 34 waist and a 32 length. These sit bellow my lovely beer pillow, fitting my thighs, hips and ass nicely. Jeans that sit up further tend to fall down all the time (due to a serious lack of ass) and fit baggy, emphasizing my weight . The APC's seem to all be "mid-rise," not "low rise."

2.) I like a little bit of a break where the jeans hit my boots/shoes, but I don't dig the stacking. The APC's are all pretty long, it seems. Guess I could have them hemmed. I live in the Bay, and I've noticed that Self Edge does this with some crazy ancient machine.

3.) As referenced above, I'm a little thick up top, so tapered pants of any kind are unflattering. I know the New Cures are tapered, how about the others?

Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely? Should I try a different brand instead? I can' imagine spending more than $150 on a pair of jeans--not right now at least.

IMO, APCs in general might be a bit too slim for you...the NS is slightly tapered. There are other lesser known raw selvage denims out there that're more every-man acceptable cuts. Check out Denimbar for a wide variety in all shapes and prices.

20. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

I found the LVC 47's to be tight as shit when I tried them on. But judging by BiG's measurements, among others, the Okinawa is nothing like the LVC 47.