1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. newuser

newuser Active Member

This is meant to be the main thread for anyone needing recommendations for their next pair(s) of jeans since "Ask a Question" was far too confusing of a thread title.

Please post your questions instead of beginning your own new thread. Queries will be answered in the order they were received.

Thanks.

Just in general looking for some suggestions on brands in my price range that are good quality/style.

Currently looking at GAP (selvage) and Express... Any other suggestions or better recomendations welcome. Jeans for clubs/bars that will go with a nice pair of tennis shoes or dress shoes and a button up.

Looking to buy jeans under 100 dollars

Thanks,

2. BrooklynHighpost

BrooklynHighpost Senior member

Just in general looking for some suggestions on brands in my price range that are good quality/style.

Currently looking at GAP (selvage) and Express... Any other suggestions or better recomendations welcome. Jeans for clubs/bars that will go with a nice pair of tennis shoes or dress shoes and a button up.

Looking to buy jeans under 100 dollars

Thanks,

Levi over Gap over Express, all are under 100. Had both express and gap, def gap is better. Bad choice on my part to get the express.

3. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

come on i know some of you have jeans with bigger openings you don't have 4 inches of stack on... how much extra inseam do you give yourself? 2 inches? 2.5 inches?

I think 32" would be fine. It comes down to personal preference, but I usually have about 1.5" extra on my jeans. My current pair is about 2" longer than needed and I like it... Though the leg opening is smaller than yours.

4. djs488

djs488 Senior member

come on i know some of you have jeans with bigger openings you don't have 4 inches of stack on... how much extra inseam do you give yourself? 2 inches? 2.5 inches?

since you insisted... i have about your same measurements and i would say 32" would be the max for a good looking break. I prefer 34" for stacking and have found anything >7.8" to be too wide for stacking.

5. SeckBoy

SeckBoy Well-Known Member

How long will it take the starch to wear off my pbj xx-005?

The stacks look not so great right now.

6. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Depends on how starchy it is initially. Probably between a week to three in my experience. Plus, I don't think those jeans stack that well anyway, they are a 7.75" hem I beleive?

7. unjung

unjung Senior member

I'm bloody choked about my raw Nudies. I've been wearing them since New Years Eve without a wash, an average of 20 or 30 hours a week. There is almost no fading at all, just a tiny bit on the thighs around the crotch, none on the back of the legs. I went fishing in them the other day and a halibut slipped out of my hands and juiced all over them so they have to be washed.

Is there a way I can wash them just enough to get them somewhat clean and keep the fading process going?

If not, is there a way I can wash them to bring out the minimal fades that already exist?

And where the hell is a guide to washing them anyway (I've searched, know they exist, but can't find one)?

8. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

since you insisted... i have about your same measurements and i would say 32" would be the max for a good looking break. I prefer 34" for stacking and have found anything >7.8" to be too wide for stacking.

thx...
    it was fun communicating via google translation in japanese over a few emails to the shop i got these from, lets hope the length to hem off translated correctly,

9. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

I'm bloody choked about my raw Nudies. I've been wearing them since New Years Eve without a wash, an average of 20 or 30 hours a week. There is almost no fading at all, just a tiny bit on the thighs around the crotch, none on the back of the legs. I went fishing in them the other day and a halibut slipped out of my hands and juiced all over them so they have to be washed.

Is there a way I can wash them just enough to get them somewhat clean and keep the fading process going?

If not, is there a way I can wash them to bring out the minimal fades that already exist?

And where the hell is a guide to washing them anyway (I've searched, know they exist, but can't find one)?

washing them may bring out some stuff. my AJDH looked normal until the first wash and then some color changing happened. inside out, cold water, hang dry is my method.

alternately, you could fill the tub with water, a little woolite dark, move it by hand to keep the agitation to a minimum, and rinse off. hang dry.

10. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Depends on how starchy it is initially. Probably between a week to three in my experience. Plus, I don't think those jeans stack that well anyway, they are a 7.75" hem I beleive?
    for w32 & up leg opening is 8+. agree__ not for stacking. 1.5-2" cuffs look much better.

11. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

I just got my Flat Head 3001s I purchased from the FS page. For some reason the original owner never soaked them,. I need to soak them now. He's already worn them several times. Will that affect anything negatively in the way they fade, etc? Anything I should know?

12. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

I just got my Flat Head 3001s I purchased from the FS page. For some reason the original owner never soaked them,. I need to soak them now. He's already worn them several times. Will that affect anything negatively in the way they fade, etc? Anything I should know?
    has any premanent creasing occured already [specially, the back knee combs]? if not, then the denim will just reset upon warm to hot soak.

if yes, but have similar height & built as previous owner, then jeans will just assume & morph to your body contours. if you had significant difference in height, then you'll have 2 sets of comb creases.

13. onion

onion Senior member

14. dr clutch

dr clutch New Member

Hi!

New to the forum and raw denim.

Just bought a pair of APC New Cures during my trip to Paris and I am now wondering if I should soak them before starting to wear them? I tried to search whether or not they're sanforized, but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks a lot!

15. onion

onion Senior member

PC are sanforized, and do not need to be soaked.

16. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Hi!

New to the forum and raw denim.

Just bought a pair of APC New Cures during my trip to Paris and I am now wondering if I should soak them before starting to wear them? I tried to search whether or not they're sanforized, but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks a lot!

Don't soak, they are already sanforized.

17. dr clutch

dr clutch New Member

Thanks a lot guys for the fast replies! Looking forward to breaking in them [​IMG]

18. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Be hardcore and don't wash em. I had blood on my jeans before but I kept going.

19. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

Alright now I know someone will have the urge to say they are just jeans but whatever. I just gave my jeans their first soak and they have shrunk up quite a bit. the combs don't seem to be setting up in the same place as before, probably because I have gained about 10lbs since I first bought them. is there any way to get the combs to set back properly?

20. whereismyshoe

whereismyshoe Senior member

How is the sizing on Rag and Bone stuff? I've heard TTS from some places.