I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

wont stacking that much look weird or maybe its just me?
    and if i hem then i wouldn't have the same leg opening unless i get it tapered by the tailor, right?

If it looks weird, hem them. And the leg opening will change slightly, but unless you take a ton off it won't be noticeable. A couple extra inches is usually just about right, but ymmv.

Also, you can always cuff them.

2. Chango

Chango Active Member

What size should I get in Sugarcane 1947, if I wear a 33 Waist in 5ep? I really like the 1947 Levis style, except I cant find a place to buy them... thx

3. starcrash

starcrash Senior member

Should I be wearing baggier jeans so people can't see where my butt starts on my jeans? Am I right or wrong that it will make my legs look longer if there is less definition to show that my butt starts so low. Maybe I will post pics.
    If you have short legs, don't sag and don't wear low-rise jeans. Both will exaggerate the "penguin/ Popeye" proportions. Get some slim, straight jeans with a mid rise and as short an inseam as you can tolerate (both will create the illusion of longer legs) and wear them normally, not sagged. If you cuff them, you can get away with a shorter inseam look. -Short legs, long torso guy

4. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

What size should I get in Sugarcane 1947, if I wear a 33 Waist in 5ep? I really like the 1947 Levis style, except I cant find a place to buy them... thx
    Can't answer your question, but LVC '47s should still be in stock at plenty of Levi's stores nationwide. On sale for $80 too. Just call around, they ship.

5. whacked

whacked Senior member

Given that 5EP comes a bit larger than tagged size and stretch a fair bit, your true waist is probably between 34 and 35. Canes runs small, so I'd go with a 35 if I were you.

6. misterbryan

misterbryan Member

If it looks weird, hem them. And the leg opening will change slightly, but unless you take a ton off it won't be noticeable. A couple extra inches is usually just about right, but ymmv.

Also, you can always cuff them.

Ahh thanks bona drag.

7. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Can't answer your question, but LVC '47s should still be in stock at plenty of Levi's stores nationwide. On sale for $80 too. Just call around, they ship.

This is your best bet; if you can't find your size, though, go to cultizm.com. I think they come out to about $185 shipped, but that's a good price.

8. MrG

MrG Senior member

hot dryer

I'm thinking that, too, but I'd like to start wearing them damp. I think I'm going to hit them with another hot soak. If that doesn't shrink them, I'll put them in the dry for a bit until they're damp (and hopefully smaller).

9. FashionIQ

FashionIQ Senior member

I'd never throw a pair of jeans I care about in the dryer. Especially if they are still new. You lose a lot of the rigid feeling which really helps the look of the jeans later on.

10. Kodiak

Kodiak Senior member

I'd never throw a pair of jeans I care about in the dryer. Especially if they are still new. You lose a lot of the rigid feeling which really helps the look of the jeans later on.
    Yeah, I machine washed and dried my old nudies and now they're soft as fuck and feel like nasty mall jeans

11. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

If you have short legs, don't sag and don't wear low-rise jeans. Both will exaggerate the "penguin/ Popeye" proportions. Get some slim, straight jeans with a mid rise and as short an inseam as you can tolerate (both will create the illusion of longer legs) and wear them normally, not sagged. If you cuff them, you can get away with a shorter inseam look.

-Short legs, long torso guy

This isn't exactly true for everyone. I am 5'11" and have a 29" inseam. I also have lower hips and waist (IE my length is in my upper torso) Low rise jeans not only fit me better, they don't look like I am trying to sag my jeans even when I wear them at or below my waist. Most regular rise jeans, on me, look as if I am trying to sag because the rise is too long for me.

While I agree on some people with shorter legs a higher rise jean will add some length to their lower body, this isn't a steadfast rule for fit.

12. acconrad

acconrad Senior member

I am 6'1'' 203 with a pretty athletic build (33'' waist but 25'' thighs).

My favorite pair of jeans are Levis Slim Straight from the now-deceased Red line. I've since tried 514s and they suck, they just don't fit like the Red version, and Capital E just does not have the colors or fit that I want.

I was thinking about trying Nudies, but I'm not sure which pair would work best because they have so many different styles. Also, I've heard Nudies (like Levis) last, and I am not willing to spend big bucks on jeans that don't hold their weight...partially the reason why I sucked it up and got 514s because I know Levis makes jeans that last.

Any recommendations?

13. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

14. Inficius

Inficius Senior member

How high are you supposed to wear jean pants? I want the back pockets to rest on my.... cheeks, but then it's just an inch or two above my belly button. Is this too high or is it fine?

15. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

^ Errr, do you mean an inch or two below your belly button? If so, I'd say as long as you're comfortable with it and not giving yourself a wedgie, it's fine. If it's an inch or two above... I'd say that's too high.