1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. RCG Tiburon

RCG Tiburon Senior member

I just bought some Samurai S5000VX jeans and I'm preparing to do my first hot soak. As you'll be able to tell from the photos they fit pretty well but could use some tightening in the legs. The waist, crotch, and butt are good. Any advice about soaking, how long, how hot, other info, etc. is appreciated. Should I wear these while they soak to prevent the waist and crotch from shrinking up too much?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

doesn't look good to my eye. size down imo

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

well, denim does stretch. i mean it has some give to it. i've just never personally had a problem with it in my non-raw denim, or maybe i've never noticed cause i always wear a belt. if it is just in the waist then it shouldn't be a problem

I always wear a belt but for some reason, my 514's has stretched to about 2 sizes too big. I just hate how it fits and how the waist folds a bit when I tighten the belt it, it makes it impossible to tuck in a shirt with jeans.

3. connor

connor Senior member

hm. i dunno. maybe have a pair you don't wear as much for when you specifically want them to be a bit snugger

4. adamssutherland

adamssutherland Well-Known Member

depending on how he sizes any of those could fit just as he desires

I'm a 34 in the slouchy's... granted my loosest fitting pair is a pair of 33's with 3 or 5% elastene.

I'll try and swing by clarendon this weekend. How's this discount business work?

5. whodini

whodini Senior member

those arnt really slouchy but more a 501 fit.
    What would you call this fit: [​IMG] sfam calls it "Slouchy." Would you? Compare the fit posted above to any of my suggestions and I think most would find that I'm not totally off base.
    depending on how he sizes any of those could fit just as he desires
    Basically.

6. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

I always wear a belt but for some reason, my 514's has stretched to about 2 sizes too big. I just hate how it fits and how the waist folds a bit when I tighten the belt it, it makes it impossible to tuck in a shirt with jeans.

size down __ pre-washed denim jeans are usually shrunk to their max, so tendency is to stretch. there are other factors like kind/weight of denim, cut, etc.__ but usually you size down 1 from normal for [tagged size w32 and under] and 2 sizes for w34 up.

7. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Imperial Dukes - fit question

Was at Self Edge the other day to hem some ironhearts, and I tried on the Dukes, size 30. I love their fit bottom to top: the leg, the seat. But I noticed the waist was pretty gigantic--not sitting against my back at all, with 1.5-2 inches pulling out with my finger. Even with their anticipated shrinking, and then stretching again, I can't imagine not having to eventually wear a belt full time. When I tried on the 29's it was just plainly way too small in the thighs and the upper block. Self Edge thought 30 would indeed be my size.

For those who have Dukes, any thoughts? The 30 waist was like a tree trunk! Yet the cut is otherwise so great.

8. duck sauce

duck sauce Well-Known Member

What would you call this fit: sfam calls it "Slouchy." Would you? Compare the fit posted above to any of my suggestions and I think most would find that I'm not totally off base.
    unless he's taller than he looks in that pic, i don't think its a slouch fit regular straight/ slim straight

9. whodini

whodini Senior member

unless he's taller than he looks in that pic, i don't think its a slouch fit regular straight/ slim straight
    That was my point.

10. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Senior member

I've decided that for the summer I want to go the cheap route and get some Levis raws. I want them to fit like my APC NC, but I don't know if I want to go STF or Sanforized. I also would like something slubby because out of all the jeans I own, none are very slubby. I intend to totally destroy them over the next months so, I wat to spend less than probably $80. No LVC's for me this time. I Live near San Francisco, so I can go to their huge store on Union Square, so tell me if they have something really special there because I've never been inside in the 17 years I've lived here.

11. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I've decided that for the summer I want to go the cheap route and get some Levis raws. I want them to fit like my APC NC, but I don't know if I want to go STF or Sanforized. I also would like something slubby because out of all the jeans I own, none are very slubby. I intend to totally destroy them over the next months so, I wat to spend less than probably $80. No LVC's for me this time. I Live near San Francisco, so I can go to their huge store on Union Square, so tell me if they have something really special there because I've never been inside in the 17 years I've lived here.
    Beggars ($80) can't be choosers. Levi's makes nothing like APC, the closest fits would be in between a 510 and 511. If 511's are considered a skinny jean, 510s are a tight jean- 511s have a lower rise than both and are also a bit roomier. 510s are basically skintight TTS all the way through- though they do end up stretching a bunch. New Cures aren't nearly as tight in the thighs/calves as the 510s, close though but they do flare out a little bit at the bottom whereas the 510s can be described as peglegged.

12. mikegg

mikegg Member

Okay, I'm 6'2 with long legs, (a 32L goes down a little past my ankle) I'm fit, workout a lot, my waist is also a 32 (I think.. that's what I wear atm anyway)

My legs are kind of thin, but not like chicken legs.. I mean, I need help finding a pair.. Maybe I'll post a pic tomorrow

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

Okay, I'm 6'2 with long legs, (a 32L goes down a little past my ankle) I'm fit, workout a lot, my waist is also a 32 (I think.. that's what I wear atm anyway) My legs are kind of thin, but not like chicken legs.. I mean, I need help finding a pair.. Maybe I'll post a pic tomorrow
    You'll probably want a 34" or 36" inseam depending on how much stacking you want at the hems. Why not take a look at our online affiliates like Farinelli's, Detour, Context, etc. listed at the top of this page and see which jeans you like the best. Of course, a budget would help narrow things down.

14. danracer

danracer Senior member

okay...i have a little bigass problem haha i sat on sum bubble gum :S is there a way to take it off??? [​IMG]

15. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

I've heard vinegar does the trick for gum, but have never had to try it myself.

16. mikegg

mikegg Member

I try to only buy 1 new pair of jeans per month in the $50-$100 range (in debt college student here =P)

17. whodini

whodini Senior member

I try to only buy 1 new pair of jeans per month in the $50-$100 range (in debt college student here =P)
    How about saving up that money to buy a decent pair of jeans for around $200 rather than a couple of shitty pairs for $50 a pop?

18. Lachy

Lachy Senior member

How about saving up that money to buy a decent pair of jeans for around $200 rather than a couple of shitty pairs for $50 a pop?

+1.

If you buy 1 pair a month at $100 each for a year, you spend $1200.

Buy 1 or 2 good pairs a year for $200 - $300, at most you spend $600. You can then spend that extra $$$ on shoes, jackets, shirts, or good old booze. You're jeans will look way better.

19. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

Okay, I'm 6'2 with long legs, (a 32L goes down a little past my ankle) I'm fit, workout a lot, my waist is also a 32 (I think.. that's what I wear atm anyway)

My legs are kind of thin, but not like chicken legs.. I mean, I need help finding a pair.. Maybe I'll post a pic tomorrow

You don't sound too hard to fit. Most selvedge denim jeans have at least a 34 inseam or greater. If you're athletic with slim legs, then you'll probably take a straight/slim fit without getting into the skinny side of things.

www.selfedge.com/shop
    www.contextclothing.com

Will get you started. Check the affiliate links across the top of the page.

If you want a really long inseam, brands like Imperial to 37" and 38". the Imperial Duke's might suit you. They're a nice cut in my opinion, but then I usually wear a slightly more relaxed jean.

20. Mazda

Mazda Senior member

Correct answer. Most $200 jeans will last you years as opposed to the months/year of actual wear you will get from $50 jeans. I went from buying 7 or 8 pairs of jeans every year two years ago to 3 pair in the past 24 months. All three are still in much better shape than anything of the junk I wore prior and already have far more actual wear time.