I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

^^^

There's nothing wrong with Whall, I've seen the old denim in person, and the people I know who have a pair absolutely love them. Still, there are a couple of reasons why I don't recommend a pair off the bat:

-Cone Mills is great but there are quite a number of companies offering selvage Cone at various prices, some cheaper, others more expensive. It's not that unique but can be AWESOME yet it bugs me when people use it as some sort of standard. It's kinda like saying I rode a Mercedez Benz to work today but left out the part about it being a public bus and not an S-class. Cone makes a TON of denim so I tend not to believe shit unless: a) I trust the person describing/comparing the jeans to me or b) I have the jeans in my hand.
    -For $200 there a wide variety of other jeans near that price range with/without affiliate discounts. "Are they as good?" would be subjective depending on the kind of denim you're looking for.
    -From what I hear Ande is a very cool guy, however, his business doesn't pay the bills around here. Farinelli's, Secret Service, Context, Self Edge, etc. do.
    -And one of the bigger reasons, depending on where you live, is that there is no way to know as a newbie what the denim is like or how it will fit without dropping $200 first. Other brands are simply more accessible and I'm sure some would feel more comfortable doing domestic returns than international.

So there you have it.

2. glaugh

glaugh Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ande Whall Cougar over both of those, hands down. Regular if you want a classic taper, Bootcut if you want a fuller straight leg (the flare is barely there).

I really like the Ande Whall's approach, but I'd hate to buy a pair and not like them for whatever the reason. If that happens at a boutique I can at least swap for store credit and try another brand entirely. Kinda want to give him money just for existing though.

PRPS Tight Fit and Studio D'Artisan SD103xx are worth looking into as well.

Know if any of the forum affiliates stock either by chance?

3. PeteZaSak

PeteZaSak Well-Known Member

Can anyone provide the top thigh measurement of PRPS Tight Fit in sz.32?
    Any affiliate selling the Tight Fit? and how much? Thanks.

4. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

All good points, except for the affiliate thing - who cares? Almost no one reps tobi, for example, even though they pay just like the rest; they also carry plenty of brands that are routinely lambasted around here.

I guess to me Whalls are just really good jeans that I'll continue to buy, wear, and recommend from time to time. So don't be hating when I do that in this thread from time to time (whacked, not who).

Also, as a rebuttal, LVCs are actually hard to find in longer inseams outside of Cultizm (unless I'm mistaken), and that presents an extra hurdle vis a vis returns. Plus my understanding is that their quality is not always top notch - whether due to 'authentic' usage of lightweight denim or construction issues, I thought they are/were notorious for crotch hexplosions, etc.

And Crate? SRSLY?? I actually wanted to try a pair when I found out they were doing longer inseams (iirc when I was a forum noob they only went up to 34), but when your website is nothing but a blurry black and white photo that links to an email address, and a variety of creative Google searches do not turn up any places to buy your jeans, I don't know why I would go out of my way to do that, or call them a default option. This is especially true when I could buy from a guy who posts exhaustive measurement/fit info on his site.

5. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

6. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

I don't think anyone stocks PRPS currently; DenimBar did/does, but we don't talk about them anymore. Sometimes you can get deals on eBay, but watch out for fakes. I'm still kicking myself for letting a pair in my size slip away for like $100.

Blue in Green is the only place to get Studio D'Artisan in the US; you can also buy from the Rakuten link above.

Fair warning: if you need a longer inseam, neither is that good an option; another reason I rep Whall, although I understand your hesitation.

See above re: affiliates; and if someone here can't help you with measurements, check this thread:
    http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...ad.php?t=23348

7. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Edit: see below.

8. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

PBJ-XX-005BK vs Samurai S710BK?

After browsing SUFU it seems as if PBJs are known for crotch blowouts. I like the denim more on the PBJs though so I dunno which way to go.

I just replied but I can't see my post, so sorry if this response pops up like 5 times.

They are known for blowouts, because the super slubby denim rubbing against itself wesars down faster. I wouldn't let that stop you, though; for one thing, they are a bit cheaper. Also, the cuts are different; Sam tapers, whereas PBJ is a straight leg (and I also think it has a lower rise than the 710s). Let that or $$$ be the deciding factor, not fear of a blowout.

9. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

I just replied but I can't see my post, so sorry if this response pops up like 5 times.

They are known for blowouts, because the super slubby denim rubbing against itself wesars down faster. I wouldn't let that stop you, though; for one thing, they are a bit cheaper. Also, the cuts are different; Sam tapers, whereas PBJ is a straight leg (and I also think it has a lower rise than the 710s). Let that or $$$ be the deciding factor, not fear of a blowout.

Would you say that the Samurais are more "conservative" compared to the PBJs?

10. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

I guess it depends how you size them. If you wear the 710s tight, it almost looks like a skinny jean, with a longish rise. If you wear the PBJs tight, your balls will show. Either one sized up a bit will look 'normal': Sams like an old school tapered cut, PBJs like a full straight leg with a lowish rise.

11. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

All good points, except for the affiliate thing - who cares? Almost no one reps tobi, for example, even though they pay just like the rest; they also carry plenty of brands that are routinely lambasted around here.
    Again, I would rather have people support a business that in turn supports the forum. I'll also be very blunt: Mauro and Chad are my friends so of course I'm going to try to push business their way; just don't believe for a second that I would still be doing it if they carried an inferior product.

All kinds of people here buy from Tobi and use the forum discount regardless if you see them "rep" it on here or are even registered on the forum and the numbers support this. If you aren't familiar with the data behind this then please stop acting like you know what you are talking about.

I guess to me Whalls are just really good jeans that I'll continue to buy, wear, and recommend from time to time. So don't be hating when I do that in this thread from time to time (whacked, not who).
    People can recommend what they want. Whalls are good jeans for the price but I think whacked is just calling you out on your blinders.

Also, as a rebuttal, LVCs are actually hard to find in longer inseams outside of Cultizm (unless I'm mistaken), and that presents an extra hurdle vis a vis returns.
    This is typically not a problem for the average newbie. What, 1 in 20 or more specifically ask for an inseam longer than 34"? It's usually after their first pair that they branch out and know what they want.

And Crate? SRSLY?? I actually wanted to try a pair when I found out they were doing longer inseams (iirc when I was a forum noob they only went up to 34), but when your website is nothing but a blurry black and white photo that links to an email address, and a variety of creative Google searches do not turn up any places to buy your jeans, I don't know why I would go out of my way to do that, or call them a default option. This is especially true when I could buy from a guy who posts exhaustive measurement/fit info on his site.
    1) The website is what it is and is in the process of being changed. I'm not sure how or why you're bothered by it so much when there are a wide range of online retailers with detailed photos, descriptions, and measurements. Chad of Crate lets other people worry about it as an online presence isn't his company's main concern.
    2) "Creative Google searches?" Barney's, Context, DressCodes(RIP), Revolve, and soon Farinelli's carry Crate. Barney Co-Op's are in MANY metropolitan areas and the majority I've been to around the country have had Crate in-store. For someone unfamiliar to selvage denim, to sizing down, and/or to dropping $150+ on jeans, seeing and trying something on in a store can be an important element in finalizing the purchase.

When it comes down to it, as a newbie you come on this forum and read all sorts of suggestions for brands that you've more than likely have never heard of before, suggestions coming from absolute strangers. Recommending jeans from brands that are probably carried at a store "near" that newbie, at least for a big chunk of users within the continental US, helps to allow the newbie not to just take our word but invites them to check them out for themselves. As I mentioned before, if I had to drop $200 on a product I'm completely unfamiliar with and unsure I'll even end up liking I would feel a bit more at ease about returning the product domestically than internationally. But that's just me.

12. whacked

whacked Senior member

^^^ Bona, I wasn't hating on Whalls. Just that the guy asked for one thing, you gave him another. Might as well write a macro to answer AW Cougar for every single Q.

Your perception of Crate is a bit outdated. As whodini pointed out, Barneys, Revolve, and of course SS have stocked them for a while. Mauro just got in a shipment, I believe.

Farinelli does. Check with Mauro.

Here are the measurements for a size 29, per Mauro. Note that because of the low rise, waist measures larger than tagged size as you would wear these lower, on the hip. I'd get TTS or may be size down 1.

ok to give an example here is the measurements of the tight fit

for a size 29

waist-32inches

front rise with waistband 91/4 inches
    back rise- 14 inches
    inseam-almost 34 inches
    thigh- 20 1/2 inches
    leg opening 14 inches
    knee - 16 inches

give or take some inches . everyone seams (lol) to measure their stuff differently.
    Best,mauro

13. djs488

djs488 Senior member

All kinds of people here buy from Tobi and use the forum discount regardless if you see them "rep" it on here or are even registered on the forum and the numbers support this. If you aren't familiar with the data behind this then please stop acting like you know what you are talking about.
    +1, I probably buy from tobi more than any other online retailer. They just always seem to have what I want.

14. theom-

theom- Senior member

I need something that fits like the KMW rocker but is under $200.